Topic: Adi-2 pro fs r be ad/da filter best for music production

Hi!
I am a total noob to adi-2 pro product. i read through the manuals and saw that slow and sd slow work best at 88/96khz.
I only work with 48khz and i have no intention on using higher sample rate for music production (at least for my music). If this is the case, which filter is best suited for this scenario?

Re: Adi-2 pro fs r be ad/da filter best for music production

AD/DA -filter selection is maybe the most unnecessary and unsignificant setting of the whole device.

Leave it to default setting, SD Sharp. It gives the flattest freq. response i.e. won´t roll off your treble like some other "tuned" filter options.

Thank you!

Only Slow filter made a big difference sonically i guess that's due to the roll off but didn't sound "true"

4 (edited by KaiS 2022-12-07 00:39:21)

For music production clearly select the AD-Filter that sounds best to you.

As producer you have to do this type of decisions all day long - what mic, which mic placement, preamp, EQ, compressor, ..., the AD-Filter is just another tool in the box.

Be aware: you can later correct a small treble loss, see here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 0#p130950)
but a bad impulse response is much harder or impossible to fix.

Similar applies to excessive aliasing artifacts - no way to fix in post.

So watch out if you record treble-strong instruments.

Aliasing sounds like something “scratchy” along with treble sounds.
For pulsive signals like from a triangle it can even be like a lower “tock” along with the pulse.
Aliasing “folds” ultrasonics down to the audible range.

KaiS wrote:

For music production clearly select the AD-Filter that sounds best to you.

As producer you have to do this type of decisions all day long - what mic, which mic placement, preamp, EQ, compressor, ..., the AD-Filter is just another tool in the box.

Be aware: you can later correct a small treble loss, see here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 0#p130950)
but a bad impulse response is much harder or impossible to fix.

Similar applies to excessive aliasing artifacts - no way to fix in post.

So watch out if you record treble-strong instruments.

Aliasing sounds like something “scratchy” along with treble sounds.
For pulsive signals like from a triangle it can even be like a lower “tock” along with the pulse.
Aliasing “folds” ultrasonics down to the audible range.

Is it really good advice for production use, for PLAYBACK -gear... ?! Come on... ADI is not a music instrument, but part of the monitoring i.e. playback chain.

Amateurs etc. I-dont-know-what-I-am-doing -clowns must be entertained, Pro´s (and serious audiophiles) want just cold, honest truth. At least they should...

Impulse response and aliasing -pondering goes quite theoretical atom level... in practice just different kind of treble roll offs are what one actually gets when switching those filters. In sample rates 44.1 and 48, when those roll offs still are in human audible range, that is.

6 (edited by hasan.ay386 2022-12-10 11:30:36)

jmanparkmusic wrote:

Hi!
I am a total noob to adi-2 pro product. i read through the manuals and saw that slow and sd slow work best at 88/96khz.
I only work with 48khz and i have no intention on using higher sample rate for music production (at least for my music). If this is the case, which filter is best suited for this scenario?

You can also try the SD LD filter. The impulse response is better than the Sharp filters and the frequency response is also linear (in the audible range) at 48 kHz sampling rate.

EDIT: unfortunately the SD LD is only possible at D/A, at A/D I would use SD Sharp or the Slow Filters and correct the high frequency loss in the mixing process.

7 (edited by KaiS 2022-12-10 22:41:56)

MstrC-117 wrote:

Impulse response and aliasing -pondering goes quite theoretical atom level... in practice just different kind of treble roll offs are what one actually gets when switching those filters. In sample rates 44.1 and 48, when those roll offs still are in human audible range, that is.

My practical experience can not confirm this.

Impulse response beats frequency response in it’s “opening up” the sound.
Specially a pre-ringing is dulling the sound.

Judged by lot’s of listening, my favorites are SD Sharp, SD LD and Slow, not necessarily in this order.
NOS does something strange that I don’t like, even though it has the best impulse response. Seems you can’t completely ignore Aliasing.

This is in coincidence with what we do in the studio:
A tiny fade-in instead of a hard cut smoothes the sound.

This all is not a night and day difference, it’s the last retouch.