Topic: Mono outboard effects loop via PH 3/4

Is there any reason I shouldn't plug a 1/4" ts cable into output PH 3/4 and then back into either input 1 or 2 so that I can run mono outboard effects in Logic Pro?  No electrical havoc will ensue, I hope?

Re: Mono outboard effects loop via PH 3/4

And I suppose it would be good to know what the unity gain situation on the output would be.

3 (edited by KaiS 2022-08-08 08:19:41)

Outerface wrote:

Is there any reason I shouldn't plug a 1/4" ts cable into output PH 3/4 and then back into either input 1 or 2 so that I can run mono outboard effects in Logic Pro?  No electrical havoc will ensue, I hope?

You will short circuit ‘phones amp 4, the right channel.
ADI-2 Pro will detect this and switch off PH 3/4 output with a warning message, “Short circuit detected ...”.

Use a TRS to 2xTS cable and keep the unused jack’s tip clear from any metal parts.
For a quick shot you can plug a TS cable halfway in, so the cables tip makes contact with the Ring output only, but that’s not a reliable solution.

Unity gain:

Your mono signal destination probably is some guitar effects boxes.
These usually can’t take full ADI-2 Pro level, and their sound can be quite level-dependent.

Start with, for unity gain:
PH 3/4: Reference Level Low Power, Volume -3 dB, (this is +4 dBu output).
Input: Reference Level +4 dBu

If you want to calculate yourself:
PH 3/4 Lo Power is +7 dBu at Volume 0 dB, with signal 0 dBFS, digital full scale.
PH 3/4 Hi Power is +22 dBu at Volume 0 dB, with signal 0 dBFS, digital full scale.

Thanks, good to know!

FYI, Radial now has a product designed specifically for this use case, i.e. reamping via a headphone output., the Reamp HP.