Topic: ADI-2/4 PRO SE as Interface with Analog Mastering Gear

Hi,

I just bought an ADI-2/4 PRO SE - I want to use it as an interface to connect my analog outboard with DAW - how do I set up the routing and settings? Will I need an additional interface? (I have Audient ID14 mk2 left)

Thanks in advance for your help

Re: ADI-2/4 PRO SE as Interface with Analog Mastering Gear

Did you read the beautiful printed manual that comes with the box?

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

Yes, I've been reading this for a few days and still can't figure it out correctly. Either there is no signal on the input or the signal on the monitoring output is doubled...

the ins and outs routing depends on the mode where the device is in.
although for the adi pro, this helped me in understanding of the routing: https://www.hifizine.com/2019/01/rme-ad … nal-modes/

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

How do you want to perform analog mastering?
Do you intend to use an analog summing box?
If not, how many external effects do you have?
Do you plan to chain them analog?
Or do you want to connect each device individually to a recording interface to have the flexibility to use as insert in the DAW and create different mix buses inside the DAW?

No matter what you do in particular, I would base such a solution on an RME recording interface to have more flexibility in routing. What RME recording interface you use depends on how much flexibility you want to have in terms of analog i/o and possibilities to expand.

The ADI-2/4 Pro has predefined routings, but not the flexibility of TotalMix FX. It's a converter, not a recording interface.

IMHO, best is to get an RME recording interface as base and then - if you want - to integrate an ADI-2 Pro or ADI-2/4 Pro for the monitoring and to perform the final A/D conversion.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for the answer. I know that ADI is a converter, I'm asking if it's possible to make it work.

I have 4 units wired together via xlr. 2 outputs from ADI go to the monitors, the other 2 TRS outputs I wanted to use to send a signal to these units. After passing this path, the signal was supposed to return to ADI.

With the previous interface it worked like this, I sent the signal in the DAW as an insert and turned down the return signal in the mixer, so I only heard 1 non-duplicated signal after processing.

7 (edited by KaiS 2022-12-29 21:40:45)

Use USB / Multichannel Mode, manual page 42.

Set:

• SETUP / Device Mode/DSD / Basic Mode: USB.

Unplug USB, else the following settings can‘t be changed:

• SETUP / Device Mode/DSD / CC-Mode: Multichannel.

• Replug USB.

• I/O / Phones Out 3/4 / Settings / Rear TRS Source: Ph.3/4.

Now you can route your DAW‘s send to ADI-2/4‘s channel 3/4.

If this doesn’t work you have screwed some other settings and should start with a factory reset:
Press VOL button (not volume dial) and Encoder 1, while powering up, until you see the message “Reset done”.

Yea Kais has it right, should be totally doable, although I have not tried it yet myself. I was working this way with my previous Crookwood console, but recently sold off most of the analogue ger and am now mastering all ITB. Let us know if you try it and report back. I am stunned at the increase in sound quality compared to what I had previously.

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

Unfortunately it doesn't work, in the DAW I see that there is a signal on 3/4 but there is nothing in input 1/2.

How to connect the headphones now? Dual phones and front jack 1/2?

Or have doubled signal in monitors

okay i got it smile Thanks! I had inputs 1/2 and outputs 3/4 too quiet.

The last question. Now I can hear the outboard signal on the monitors (out 1/2) but when I switch to headphones (1/2) there is no out signal. Where am I making a mistake?

12 (edited by KaiS 2022-12-30 00:18:27)

Check with:
• SETUP / Options / Phones / Toggle Ph/Line
• SETUP / Options / Phones / Mute v. Ph1/2

• Headphones have their own volume control.

If nothing helps, do the factory reset and start over.
Out of the box usually most things work.

Thanks, I switch off Toogle Ph/Line and now I have the same signal on monitors and headphones (1/2) but cant control volume separately

14 (edited by KaiS 2022-12-30 01:13:45)

emce90 wrote:

... I have the same signal on monitors and headphones (1/2) but cant control volume separately

Not if both are active, PH 1/2 and Line 1/2 are feed from the same DAC.

understand. Thanks for Your help smile