Topic: Is it possible to EQ warmth into sound via DAC? -speakers: Focal Aria

Im buying a pair of Focal Aria 906 and currently have a RME ADI-2 DAC.

I'm researching different amps with prices from $500 to 2000. The more expensive ones giving I guess a more desirable sound.

My question is, since I have a really nice DAC, can't I just EQ warmth into the sound so that it wouldnt matter which amp I buy?

My thoughts: I like a warmer sound so I was going to buy a Willsenton R8 tube amp for $1500. I plan to use this for 12+ hours a day and sometimes accidentally left on all night so I'd assume my tubes would only last a couple of years. So why not get just a $500 solid state amp like a Yamaha A-S501 or emotiva BasX A2 and then just EQ warmth via DAC. Would it be possible to EQ it to sound like a tube amp?

I'm new to all of this btw.

2 (edited by exact 2022-12-30 06:07:40)

Re: Is it possible to EQ warmth into sound via DAC? -speakers: Focal Aria

Sure, absolutely.

But get the speakers first; placement is a huge thing when it comes to  speakers. You might find them warm enough with the right placement and just EQ the peaks off.

Blind testing with audio engineers revealed all amps sound the same. Except of course tube amps and amps the deviate from flat on purpose. Even cheap amps sound the same (200$ range)

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

4 (edited by KaiS 2022-12-30 11:25:12)

murkr wrote:

... So why not get just a $500 solid state amp like a Yamaha A-S501 or emotiva BasX A2 and then just EQ warmth via DAC. Would it be possible to EQ it to sound like a tube amp?

At least you’re by a wide margin more flexibility using EQ for tuning your system to taste.

With a speaker/amp pairing you’re limited to that one sound- like it or not.

One more thing to consider:
The influence of an amplifier on the overall sound is not as strong as the reviews might suggest.
There’s a lot of expectation bias driven hype flowering in the net that does not stand the proof of reality.

Just an example, taken from a “review” of the Willsenton R8 amp:
The author told that, “of course with NOS tubes it would sound better”, even though he admits he did not test that.
This way expectation turns into pseudo-reality.

And don’t forget: tubes age, and not for the better.
If you run them all day long they will wear out soon, depending on the workload / amp design a tube lasts 1000 to 10,000 hours.

With the ADI-2 you don’t even need an integrated amp, as the ADI-2 can serve as preamplifier.
A power amp or powered speaker version will do.

Depending on the type of your music sources, digital only or even analog, the ADI-2 DAC will do (digital only), or ADI-2 Pro (digital + analog) or ADI-24 Pro SE (digital + analog line + analog vinyl) are appropriate.

You get alot of software plugins to muddy the sound. I used one(dont remember name) to a degree of sucsess via JRiver MC. Which accepts *.VST plug in format, that part is quirky though. It might work.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

"Warmth" is a difficult concept. Why do you want to "warm" your sound?

Having worked with Focal monitor speakers myself I suspect that you perceive their tweeters as slightly cold/harsh. An amp with a slight roll-off in the higher end or more pleasant 2-order harmonics will alleviate that to an extend.

But personally I find Focal monitor speakers not very friendly for long-term relaxed listening. Notice that I wrote "monitor" speakers. Their consumer line might be voiced differently but I suspect the Beryllium tweeters do have a "sound."

On the notion of amp sound: damping factor and THD spectrum (2nd or 3rd order dominant, positive or negative phase) to some extend determine the sound of an amp. In how far these factors come to play is partly determined by the specific parameters of the speakers sensitivity, impedance and phase behavoir etc.

Speaker-amp combos can (& often will) have a "sound."

Personally I prefer a good Class AB or in some cases Class A amp over Class D amps. The latter measure better though...

7 (edited by Babaluma 2022-12-30 12:47:49)

I personally never EQ my monitor chain/room, but "warmth" perception is often a slight wide bell boost around 250-500 Hz, AND/OR a slight wide bell dip around 3-6kHz. It depends, but maybe a good place to start?

Tube amps don't just sometimes have weird (i.e not flat) frequency responses, but also will add varying amounts of harmonic distortion. Something like Tone Projects Kelvin Tone Shaper can be good for emulating that.

https://musicwall.app/hermetech