Topic: DC/Stability measurements with the ADI 2 Pro FS

Hi there,

maybe it is a stupid question, but is it possible to measure the quality of different DC sources (Power Supply) with the ADI 2 Pro?
I would be interested to see the noise that is generated by cheap switching power supplies vs good ones etc..
(5v, 9v, 12v)

Is this possible with the ADI 2 Pro?

Regards
Sebastian

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-04 08:18:46)

Re: DC/Stability measurements with the ADI 2 Pro FS

sebabe wrote:

... is it possible to measure the quality of different DC sources (Power Supply) with the ADI 2 Pro?
I would be interested to see the noise that is generated by cheap switching power supplies vs good ones etc..
(5v, 9v, 12v)

Is this possible with the ADI 2 Pro?

For such type of measurements you should exactly know what you’re doing, to avoid breaking something.
The question alone tells me that’s not the case, so better don’t try.

ADI-2 Pro is a very good frontend for measurements in audio systems, up to very high ultrasonic frequencies.
The limits of ca. 0.1 Hz to 350 kHz would indeed cover a lot of the relevant range.
DC itself cannot be measured, as ADI-2 Pro’s inputs block it (lower limit).

But - ADI-2 probably (values are not published) lacks the level of overload related damage protection you find in dedicated measurement interfaces.
My Fluke instruments e.g. have protection against 1000 Volts overload in the 0.2 V range.

While KaiS raises some important points and flags it is possible - I do that all the time. One can easily measure the AC component of our own and other 12 V power supplies by attaching them to pin 2 XLR with + and Pin 3 XLR with -  balanced measurement to not include ground related issues), then start a good FFT software to analyze the µVolts.

Just don't exceed 15 Volts or the inputs might go overboard.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-03 19:30:18)

MC wrote:

Just don't exceed 15 Volts or the inputs might go overboard.

Unregulated PSU’s with nominal 12 V exceed 15 V all the time on idle.

So be warned!

@ MC: what’s the max. AC / DC voltage for each balanced leg, ground related, like XLR pin 1-2 or 1-3 ?

For DC it's the value of the input couple capacitors, 50 Volts. For AC it's the input protection circuit with more than 20 Volts peak.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME