1 (edited by WowFlutter 2023-01-04 22:15:18)

Topic: Display problem on ADI-2 DAC FS

When operating buttons on the device, the display sometimes dims.
It can stay like that for some time and spontaneously return to the original brightness level, or it happens with another button operation. The behaviour is irregular.
DAC is brand-new, updated to USB 78 and DSP 51 revision, using RME USB Series Flash Tool version 2.43 (1) on Mac.

Any ideas before I return it to the shop?

ADI-2 DAC FS
ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

2 (edited by ramses 2023-01-04 22:13:13)

Re: Display problem on ADI-2 DAC FS

Please tell the firmware and driver version number explicitly.

This is important for support purposes and just for reference if somebody reads this thread later.

It can always happen accidentally, that you didn't use the latest fut tool.
But who can recognize this and tell you, if you do not communicate concrete version numbers?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Please tell the firmware and driver version number explicitly.

This is important for support purposes and just for reference if somebody reads this thread later.

It can always happen accidentally, that you didn't use the latest fut tool.
But who can recognize this and tell you, if you do not communicate concrete version numbers?

Thanks for your reply. I updated the original post with the version info.

ADI-2 DAC FS
ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

Thanks, very kind from you, maybe this additional information is of help for support.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by ramses 2023-01-04 22:30:11)

According to readme of the flash tool the last update for the ADI-2 DAC FS was from June, 2022.
If there would be an issue with this firmware then I would assume more error like this to appear.

I am end user like you .. to me, it looks like a HW issue, but I would wait for RME to respond and confirm.
Maybe they want you to test something before sending back.

Best to write also an e-mail to the RME support address, there you can copy paste the URL of this thread.
Also add the serial number of the device in the mail.

%------------------------------------------
News V 2.20 (03.06.2022)
ADI-2 DAC 78/51, ADI-2 Pro 263/116. Pro/DAC Fix: Korrigierte Anzeige der B/T Einstellung >9.5 dB im Dark Volume Screen.
%------------------------------------------

If the screen 'dims' when pushing buttons irregularly and not guaranteed then it is a hardware failure. And it would be very helpful to have a video showcasing this. Otherwise there is a chance the unit is checked and returned with a remark 'no failure found'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by WowFlutter 2023-01-05 11:22:49)

MC wrote:

If the screen 'dims' when pushing buttons irregularly and not guaranteed then it is a hardware failure. And it would be very helpful to have a video showcasing this. Otherwise there is a chance the unit is checked and returned with a remark 'no failure found'.

Thanks for your comments. Here is the link to a video demonstrating the flicker:

https://youtu.be/MK1biNJ3NXs

I noticed it happens much more frequently after power up, when the unit is still cold.
Flickering seems to be triggered by power-up, or subsequent operation of a button, and then continues for several seconds.

ADI-2 DAC FS
ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

Nice. Now send the unit back and provide both a failure description and a link to the video. That should do it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Would this be a one-off problem, or potentially something related to a faulty component batch?
Asking to make an informed decision: to request a replacement, or refund and buy somewhere else? I definitely love the unit.

ADI-2 DAC FS
ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

Look around - no one else ever reported this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

11 (edited by WowFlutter 2023-01-18 08:39:09)

Epilogue: received a replacement unit, works perfectly, enjoying it very much.

ADI-2 DAC FS
ADI-2 Pro FS R BE