Topic: Highpass/Lowpass setup on ADI 2/4

So did a quick browse of the extensive manual.
Am I understanding it correctly that It is limited to 12dB slopes?

If not,  how do I set this up?

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-12 11:03:35)

Re: Highpass/Lowpass setup on ADI 2/4

I don’t see the slope of the filters mentioned in the manual, but a quick measurement shows indeed 12 dB / Octave slopes.
There‘s no setting to change that.

In some cases the combination of a shelf- with a highpass- or lowpass-filter can create special slopes in the transition range.

What‘s do you intend to do?

Looking for optoins for fully digital signal treatment from source to final D/A for a home
audio 2.2 System. Basically looking for options to the MiniDSP SHD/ FLEX.

But this one does not seem to fit my needs. It has a pletora of features that I do not need and is missing the, for me, most basic functionality.

My Driverack PA2 will have to do a little bit longer I guess.

I'd also appreciate a Slope control for the HPF and LPF, having said that 12dB is generally the best compromise. wink

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

5 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-12 18:03:23)

Babaluma wrote:

I'd also appreciate a Slope control for the HPF and LPF, ...

Q-factor is much more important for the sound result.

Steeper slopes tend to sound “washed” due to phase shifts, and 6 dB filters don’t offer Q-factor.

ADI-2 is not meant to be a speaker crossover.

A dedicated x-over has a multitude of parameters, filter slope is just one of them.

6 (edited by Itcamefromouterbase 2023-01-12 19:25:03)

KaiS wrote:
Babaluma wrote:

I'd also appreciate a Slope control for the HPF and LPF, ...

Q-factor is much more important for the sound result.

Steeper slopes tend to sound “washed” due to phase shifts, and 6 dB filters don’t offer Q-factor.

ADI-2 is not meant to be a speaker crossover.

A dedicated x-over has a multitude of parameters, filter slope is just one of them.

I was talking specifically about the 2/4 you know the one with 4 outputs, kind of beging for a crossover.that one.

Anyhow all that is needed is 6-48dB HP and LP, slopes a varible Q would be dandy but fixed ones for BW LR and Bessel would do just fine. Your comment on steeper slopes, boy where did you get that from...

But you are right The ADI 2/4 is not a speaker Crossover, it can do a lot of things but not that, which is a pitty.

Itcamefromouterbase wrote:
KaiS wrote:

Anyhow all that is needed is 6-48dB HP and LP, slopes a varible Q would be dandy but fixed ones for BW LR and Bessel would do just fine. Your comment on steeper slopes, boy where did you get that from...

I’m audio engineer - from my experience in my daily work.
We are using all types of filters all the time.

I'd like it purely for the extra EQ functionality, tailoring the sound of my headphones and turntable input etc., nothing to do with crossovers which I don't need in my setup. I also use HPF and LPF daily in my mastering work. But as I said before, I think 12dB/2 pole is the best compromise if you are only going to offer one slope.

https://musicwall.app/hermetech