Topic: ADI2 PRO FS R be - Genelec 8341 - Active Subwoofers

Hi all,

I have recently purchased an ADI2 PRO FS R be and will be using it with a pair of Genelec 8341AWM's SAM Speakers along with a pair of Arendal 1723 1S Subwoofers.

The Arendal subwoofers have both an unbalanced input and output and a balanced input and output where I intend to use the balanced inputs and outputs primarily to prevent any ground loops in my system.
These subwoofers also have PEQ, Delay and Input Gain settings as well as a range of other clever little tricks.

I intend to feed the Genelec speakers via the AES/EBU output 1/2 and the subwoofers either via the PH 3/4 output OR via the XLR 1/2 output but this I'm unsure of just yet. I will also be summing the signal to mono as I will be running the subs as a summed mono pair.

My sources are an Intel NUC running a ROON core via USB and a TV via Optical.

I understand that once a USB cable is connected and receiving a signal, the ADI2 will automatically select the USB input by default.
Because of this, I intend to create two setup profiles to avoid this as I would like to use the Digital Through Mode for when I am watching TV.

I will certainly be using the loudness feature too which is a must as far as I'm concerned.

All of the above will be controlled by a Logitech Harmony remote.

Does the above look correct to you guys and maybe point me in the right direction if I've got the set up wrong in any way.

RME ADI2 PRO FS R be - Genelec 8341AWM - Arendal 1723 1S Subwoofer (x2)

Re: ADI2 PRO FS R be - Genelec 8341 - Active Subwoofers

Do I need to concern myself with gain staging here?

To be honest, I don't know anything about it but I obviously want to maximise the SNR.
My Genelecs are currently set to -6dBu which is the lowest gain setting available but is it optimal?

3 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-15 18:30:05)

All fine so far, great setup!
Some suggestions and remarks:

• Try ADI-2 Pro in DAC-Mode (manual page 43), it’s the most simplistic and therefore user friendly one.
Switch “Dig. Out Source” to “Main Out”, manual page 29.
Then it follows all ADI’s DSPs and the Volume Control.

• When connected to USB you still can select all ADI’s other inputs in DAC-Mode.
You can even run your TV (e.g. from Optical SPDIF out) without switching “Digital thru”, the same way like other sources.

• Two subwoofers is a great config, I do use the same in my studio.
Run them in stereo, it does indeed give a more spacial sound, and avoids cancellations of certain sounds from a mix.
You still benefit from the loading effect, as important bass sounds are usually centered/mono in the mix.

• It’s probably more convenient to run mains and subs from the same ADI-2 channel, usually 1/2, specially for stuff like Loudness and EQ this makes sure there will be no detrimental effects from different phase relationships.
Usability is better than when using combined 1/2, 3/4 outputs for a single system.
Plus - 3/4 stays free for headphones use.

• To be considered: when using ADI-2 Pro’s digital outs, “Auto Ref Level” does not make sense, switch it off.
Reference Level, by nature, affects the analog outs only.
If the Subs are on 1/2 XLR and the Genelecs on AES, you can use manual setting of “Reference Level” for a course setting of sub’s levels.

• According Genelec’s level settings.
For a good starting point:
Run music, set ADI-2’s volume to -20 dB, then adjust the Genelec’s Level DIP Switches and Trim (see their manual) for a comfortable listening level.
This way you have some volume range left for going up, and still a very good SNR.

From Genelec 8341A manual:
Level
The Level switches reduce the monitor output in 10 dB steps (-10 dB, -20 dB and with both switches set to ON, -30 dB). The effects of these switches combine with the effect of the rotary level adjustment control. The total setting range is 42 dB.

Hi KaiS.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

After fiddling around a bit, I have opted to use output 3/4 to the subwoofers purely as a means of more direct control.
Linking the two output volumes together but still being able adjust their individual output levels or just simply muting one of the channels is really useful to me at this stage as I'm doing lots of measurements at the moment.
Making adjustments on the fly is a very valuable option to have but it all seems to be working ok up to now.

I'll have to look into the loudness side of things for now but I'm sure it'll work ok too.

I cannot run the subs in stereo I'm afraid as they are not optimally positioned for that use so I'll be running them as dual mono.

Having teething problems level matching my sources though........bit tricky.

I'm at around -30 dBu on the RME which is outputting around 75dB. Ideally, I wanted the 75dB point to be around -20 but I don't know if that even matters to be honest.

Got an awful lot to learn that's for sure!!!

The only thing I'm not too keen on when it comes to the operating state of the RME is that if I have it in DAC mode, there is an additional AD/DA conversion going on. I'm not sure if this even matters at all really though.

I have also found that to use the D/D passthrough, the volume is significantly louder than when using USB for example.
Why is that?? Can that be fixed?

Sparkydude wrote:

The only thing I'm not too keen on when it comes to the operating state of the RME is that if I have it in DAC mode, there is an additional AD/DA conversion going on. I'm not sure if this even matters at all really though.

I have also found that to use the D/D passthrough, the volume is significantly louder than when using USB for example.
Why is that?? Can that be fixed?

If you run the Genelecs from ADI-2 Pro’s AES out there is no AD/DA conversion in the signal path.

There’s not enough info about your config to give much hints about D/D vs. USB level.
Basically both digital connections are Bit-Perfect, so it might be an different signal you send, or different processing - with and without volume control e.g.

Hi KaiS,

Again, thanks for your valued input.

It's always difficult for a person who has limited experience who knows what they want to do but doesn't know how to correctly implement it!

My set up is as follows:

Nvidia Shield Pro 2017 ------ HDMI --------- LG CX OLED 2021
Satellite DVR ------- HDMI ------- LG CX OLED 2021
Playstation 4 PRO -------- HDMI ---------LG CX OLED 2021

LG CX OLED --------- TOSLINK ----------- ADI2 PRO Optical In

INTEL NUC (ROON Core) ------- USB -------- ADI2 PRO USB In

ADI2 PRO ---------- AES Breakout ----------- Genelec 8341AWM
ADI2 PRO ---------- PH 3/4 via Stereo Phono to XLR cable ---------- Arendal 1723 1S XLR In

I can adjust the source volume on the NVIDIA and Satellite box but not the PS4 which does pose a problem if I was to use the D/D function of the ADI2.

The ROON Endpoint is the ADI2 PRO and is set to a fixed volume (full output) but that can be changed as necessary.

It is only a very simple set up and already, the RME has completely outshone the outgoing minidspSHD I had in my old set up. The detail retrieval is phenomenal in the RME.

I'm not sure yet why the input volume to the Genelecs is so high in relation to the volume dial setting on the ADI as I would imagine that a setting of around -20 on the RME would equate to around 75dB.
Maybe I have set the Genelecs up incorrectly so I'll have to check that.

The following are set the same for 1/2 & 3/4:

Auto Ref is off
B/T is off
Loudness is off (for the time being)

RME is set to DAC mode (for the time being)

I can't think of anything else right now.

If I have to have the RME in DAC mode then I will do that but it kind of defeats the purpose of the functionality of the RME PRO if I'm just taking the easy route and using DAC mode.

8 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-17 22:51:10)

Your setup seems reasonable to me.

Just, with D/D mode you mean Digital Direct Mode, which would bypass AD-2‘s Volume Control.
You even say you do use Volume Comtrol, so which one is valid?

Anyway, balancing a multiple of sources for about same loudness isn‘t always perfectly possible.
I wouldn‘t use AD-2’s Digital Direct Mode at all for this case.

Start with the source that has the lowest output at maxed out volume, then adjust all other volumes to about the same.

Usually, digital sources don‘t differ too much, except TV broadcasting often is too quiet due to it‘s special standard. So this would be the reference if you do use it.
I‘m not sure about the PS-4, no volume control at all?

Use ADI-2‘s Volume dial for setting the listening level and forget D/D.

Don‘t worry about DAC-Mode, it makes full use of ADI-2 Pro‘s capabilities, does not turn it into an ADI-2 DAC.
ADI-2 DAC does not have digital outs, so wouldn‘t have been be an option.

DAC-mode is just the most easy to handle, perfectly suited for your case.

Morning KaiS,

Thanks for clearing a few things up with me.

I'll do as you suggest as far as the source volume settings are concerned and see where it leads me.

I'm calibrating the second subwoofer today so will be another learning day for me!! big_smile

Wish me luck!!

Sparkydude wrote:

Wish me luck!!

I do!

Could the Audirvana / DSD to PCM issue be cleared up?
Else you can ask again here.