1 (edited by sjzstudio 2023-01-21 11:15:41)

Topic: Touch osc

https://hexler.net/touchosc

So it seems that Touch osc has desktop app for Linux. Would it be possible to use it like Totalmix replacement in Linux world? If we use firefaces on CC mode.

EDIT Remomed "Remote" word

2 (edited by waedi 2023-01-21 11:07:11)

Re: Touch osc

No. In CC-mode there is no Totalmix and so no remote.
All has to be made within a DAW.
You can use Reaper as replacement for Totalmix to use the Fireface in CC-mode, then use the Reaper ReaMote, all possible with Linux.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by sjzstudio 2023-01-21 11:13:57)

waedi wrote:

No. In CC-mode there is no Totalmix and so no remote.
All has to be made within a DAW.
You can use Reaper as replacement for Totalmix to use the Fireface in CC-mode, then use the Reaper remote web tool, all possible with Linux.

And Touch osc does exactly that. So control Fireface's mixer. This is not about remote control from the tablet, but control directly from the desktop.

So I meant Totalmix  replacement, i.e. Totalmix desktop app in Linux, which can be used in CC mode. Sorry for the mistake

But there is no Fireface's mixer, there is nothing to control when the Fireface is used in CC-mode.
It offers input and output channels to a DAW, when that Touch OSC is a DAW then you can use it together with the Fireface.

5 (edited by sjzstudio 2023-01-21 11:38:43)

Why i can control it from front panel. If there is no mixer available?

Touch osc is nothing to do with DAW in this case.

The front panel is not accessable from the computer only by hand.

Correct. The point is that OSC is a function of TotalMix FX. OSC is not available in CC or stand-alone mode from the hardware.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

And is it possible to control the device via MIDI in CC mode? For example with the BCF2000 controller?

9 (edited by sjzstudio 2023-01-21 22:54:39)

Through the front panel I can access, mic gain 9-12, all channels eq/dynamic, Phantom power, I can adjust the balance between inputs and outputs. If I remember correctly. And yet there is nothing to adjust in CC mode. So I really have misunderstood everything.

However, they cannot be controlled via MIDI. What do I do with Totalmix ios version? if i happen to use the device with ipad in CC mode?

https://youtu.be/DikoEPuNiGs

That is a different setup. Apple iPad with iOS and the TotalmixFX app (this is somehow a driver) , there is maybe a chance to remote things as midi I/O is working under CC.
You started the discussion in the Linux forum speaking of CC-mode , means to me the interface is in CC-mode connected to a Linux computer...

MC wrote:

Correct. The point is that OSC is a function of TotalMix FX. OSC is not available in CC or stand-alone mode from the hardware.

So if device is on CC mode, totalmix ios for example uses midi to conttol the device?

I just try to undedtand how it is possble to control the device withoit OSC

Touch OSC seems to be able to operate with MIDI also. If this is stupid quoestion, i am sorry.

It is correctly stated in the manuals: the hardware supports Mackie Control protocol and some MIDI CC notes to control the unit via MIDI in stand-alone mode. As soon as USB is detected the unit enters Class Compliant mode, and said hardware implementation is off. So while this would be half a workaround for Linux users it simply doesn't work. This has technical reasons and can not be easily changed by firmware.

Using an iPad is something different. The app TotalMix FX for iPad communicates with the hardware in a special way so it acts like TM FX under Windows / Mac, providing the full feature set (and even some stuff usually only available in the Settings dialog). This interface/communication is not available with normal operating systems.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

It is correctly stated in the manuals: the hardware supports Mackie Control protocol and some MIDI CC notes to control the unit via MIDI in stand-alone mode. As soon as USB is detected the unit enters Class Compliant mode, and said hardware implementation is off. So while this would be half a workaround for Linux users it simply doesn't work. This has technical reasons and can not be easily changed by firmware.

Using an iPad is something different. The app TotalMix FX for iPad communicates with the hardware in a special way so it acts like TM FX under Windows / Mac, providing the full feature set (and even some stuff usually only available in the Settings dialog). This interface/communication is not available with normal operating systems.

Thank you for clarification. However CC mode woks just fine for me and my AvLinux MXE system. So lets make some music now. smile