Topic: ADI-2/4 Pro SE - Cartridge

Hi there, I was wondering, which cartridges you use on the ADI-2/4 Pro SE for vinyl listening?

Anyone using MC with transformer?

Thanks in advance!

Re: ADI-2/4 Pro SE - Cartridge

I will be trying this in the next week or so, will let you know how it goes.

Never tried that, so also looking forward to your report!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Moving magnet AT-150 MLX here, works a treat. Have never tried MC carts.

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

5 (edited by badboygolf16v 2023-01-22 17:39:22)

I've never been a fan of MM cartridges really, although to be fair, I've never had a top class one. I've found MC cartridges to be more resolving with a greater sense of ease, especially with a SUT.

I had been using a Technics SL-7 with Ortofon OM30 which was pretty good. Anyway, my cartridge preference isn't really the point of this post...

My current setup is a Technics SL-7 with Technics EPC-310MC and a Reisong 1:20 SUT I got from AliExpress. It works great, no issues whatsoever, and sounds great. I had to up the RIAA Mode gain to +32 dB from the +26 dB I was using with my OM30 but that was it. Using +38 dB caused overs so there's scope to use lower output MCs.

I was hoping to use my Ortofon Verto SUT but I've lost it along with my Lehmann Audio Silver Cube during a house move, I do hope it turns up! Anyway, I'm happy with the Reisong, it's incredible value for money.

I would just add that I find that the common size for ground wire spade lugs makes it EXTREMELY frustrating to connect them using the D-Sub connector on the rear of the ADI-2/4, no doubt my neighbour could hear me cursing.

7 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-22 21:03:38)

badboygolf16v wrote:

I would just add that I find that the common size for ground wire spade lugs makes it EXTREMELY frustrating to connect them using the D-Sub connector on the rear of the ADI-2/4, ...

Use one or two washers to clamp the ground wire:
D-Sub - washer - Ground Wire - washer - screw

badboygolf16v wrote:

I've never been a fan of MM cartridges really, although to be fair, I've never had a top class one. I've found MC cartridges to be more resolving with a greater sense of ease, especially with a SUT.

I had been using a Technics SL-7 with Ortofon OM30 which was pretty good. Anyway, my cartridge preference isn't really the point of this post...

My current setup is a Technics SL-7 with Technics EPC-310MC and a Reisong 1:20 SUT I got from AliExpress. It works great, no issues whatsoever, and sounds great. I had to up the RIAA Mode gain to +32 dB from the +26 dB I was using with my OM30 but that was it. Using +38 dB caused overs so there's scope to use lower output MCs.

I was hoping to use my Ortofon Verto SUT but I've lost it along with my Lehmann Audio Silver Cube during a house move, I do hope it turns up! Anyway, I'm happy with the Reisong, it's incredible value for money.

I am confused - is that already the report that you announced for 'in a week or so'?

I searched for these Reisong STUs - the cheapest one I found was this - still totally overpriced in my opinion:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004 … 4itemAdapt

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes, this is the report, I found some free time yesterday.

If you think those Reisong SUTs are overpriced, take a look at the prices of ones from the usual suspect hifi manufacturers.

For instance I have an Ortofon Verto with Lundahl transformers that retails for 800 GBP, and that is a mid range item. I bought second hand.

I am wondering if the forthcoming E1DA Cosmos Scaler will make an appropriate active MC head amp. I will give it a try when it becomes available.

I think not, because it has higher input impedance AFAIK.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME