Topic: Question about RME ADI-2 FS?

Hi to all. I`m quite noobie in AD/DA converters world, and i would like to ask few questions before i order one if you dont mind?

I use my trusty UCX for years know, and considering upgrading it with RME ADI-2 FS, since i always thought UCX is bit on brighter side and unpleasant if i boost preamp in sound card over 20db.

I know i can use this unit for monitorings, but i dont understand if i can use it for recording tracks, and if answer is yes i suppose i cant use it for recording and monitoring at the same time?

Kind regards,
Dado.

Re: Question about RME ADI-2 FS?

Connect the ADI-2 with ADAT to the UCX and use inputs and outputs of the AdI-2 via Totalmix of the UCX.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

Connect the ADI-2 with ADAT to the UCX and use inputs and outputs of the AdI-2 via Totalmix of the UCX.

So i can use outputs for connecting it to studio monitors, and i can record analog inputs at the same time?

Yes

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

5 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-24 14:15:38)

Studiostriver wrote:

I use my trusty UCX for years know, and considering upgrading it with RME ADI-2 FS, ...  if i boost preamp in sound card over 20db.

There are four ADI-2 versions:

• ADI-2 FS: no LCD display, stereo AD and DA converters, no DSP functions.
• ADI-2 DAC FS: one stereo DA-converter.
• ADI-2 Pro (FS): two stereo DA-converters, one stereo AD-converter.
• ADI-2/4 Pro SE: two stereo DA-converters, one stereo AD-converter, latest model.

Non of the above has microphone inputs or has a “20 dB boost”, although the lowest AD reference level can be seen as such.

waedi wrote:

Yes

That is what i need to know. Thanks a lot. smile

KaiS wrote:
Studiostriver wrote:

I use my trusty UCX for years know, and considering upgrading it with RME ADI-2 FS, ...  if i boost preamp in sound card over 20db.

There are four ADI-2 versions:

• ADI-2 FS: no LCD display, stereo AD and DA converters, no DSP functions.
• ADI-2 DAC FS: one stereo DA-converter.
• ADI-2 Pro (FS): two stereo DA-converters, one stereo AD-converter.
• ADI-2/4 Pro SE: two stereo DA-converters, one stereo AD-converter, latest model.

Non of the above has microphone inputs or has a “20 dB boost”, although the lowest AD reference level can be seen as such.

I was talking about my soundcard, its even mentioned in the sentence , you see its UCX. smile

By the way, can you tell me is difference very obvious and noticeable when i switch to RME ADI-2 FS compare to UCX converters?

7 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-24 16:17:18)

What soundcard?
UCX is an audio interface.
A soundcard would be a card stuck inside a desktop computer, usually with much different functionality and low quality.

Just to make sure we are taking about the same thing.

I said ADI-2 FS might not replace UCX to solve you 20 dB gain’s sound problem, as it might not offer the needed connectivity.

I don’t own UCX or ADI-2 FS.
When I heard ADI-2 FS at a friend’s studio, I did not notice any sound coloration.
Therefore I think it’s a good monitor controller.

KaiS wrote:

What soundcard?
UCX is an audio interface.
A soundcard would be a card stuck inside a desktop computer, usually with much different functionality and low quality.

Just to make sure we are taking about the same thing.

I said ADI-2 FS might not replace UCX to solve you 20 dB gain’s sound problem, as it might not offer the needed connectivity.

I don’t own UCX or ADI-2 FS.
When I heard ADI-2 FS at a friend’s studio, I did not notice any sound coloration.
Therefore I think it’s a good monitor controller.

English is not my native tongue. To me soundcard and audio interface are the very same things. Sorry for that.

Oh i see, and i agree, for that i need better preamps, i didnt want to solve that. I rather wanted to get as clear sound as possible without less digital distortion as possible, and clearer sound. I hope ADI-FS will solve those problems.