Topic: ADI-2 Pro mini XLR Balanced Out

i now have audeze headphones with 4 pin mini xlr connector. What kind of cables do I need to connect these balanced to the ADI-2 Pro?

I have not found any mini XLR to TRS cables on the internet and I am not very good at soldering.

Re: ADI-2 Pro mini XLR Balanced Out

I don't know of a standard adapter for this case. The balanced connection with two 6.3 TSR plugs is too exotic.

Maybe https://audioverse.de/ will make a customized one-off production.

The pinout on the RME side is described in the manual, chapter 33.7.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ich kenne keinen serienmässigen Adapter für diesen Fall. dazu ist der symmetrische Anschluss mit zwei 6,3 TSR Steckern zu exotisch.

Vielleicht mach ja https://audioverse.de/ eine kundenspezifisch Einzelanfertigung.

Die Belegung auf Seiten RME ist in der Bedienungsanleitung, im Kapitel 33.7 Steckerbelegungen beschrieben.

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

3 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-21 21:13:56)

Due to ADI-2 Pro’s special double-TRS configuration for balanced ‘phones, there’s no readily available cable.

Go to a Pro-Audio / musicians store and let them do the soldering.
Show them manual page 44 for the pinout.

You can start with a standard-AUDEZE TRS-to-MiniXLR cable of your choice, let them replace the single TRS with two TRS.

Balanced vs Single-Ended with AUDEZE:
I don’t here any difference with my AUDEZE LCD-4 or LCD-2r2.

Power-wise I can stay on Single-Ended LowPower, and still need only ca. -20 dB Volume.

does that mean that I need separate 4 pin xlr to TRS cables for left and right?

One cable is soldered at the end only with pin 1/2 and the the other one only with pin 3/4?
Or should the two cables be soldered identically?

5 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-21 23:51:30)

The (full size) 4pin XLR in manual page 44 is not the AUDEZE pinout of course, can be ignored.

The relevant part for your case is the double-TRS, on the ADI-2 Pro’s side.

The pin-out for the LCD mini-XLR connectors (those that go into the headphones themselves) on the LCD series cables, to double-TRS balanced is as follows:

miniXLR 1 and 4: (+) —> TRS Tip
miniXLR 2 and 3: (-) —> TRS Ring
TRS Sleeve = not connected

Left and right are the same.

Thanks! I think I will try to make a cable myself. as a positive side effect I also learn to solder smile

Three thumbs up!

Get an adjustable temperature controlled soldering station for more fun.
Better a good used Weller than a cheap new Chinese.

This is one of the classic, analog controlled ones that will serve you a lifetime:
https://www.pkelektronik.com/media/catalog/product/0/0/0053230699.jpg

KaiS wrote:

Better a good used Weller than a cheap new Chinese.

This is one of the classic, analog controlled ones that will serve you a lifetime:

Agreed, one advantage of Weller: you get spare tips even after decades, but the old WS81 Set is now very expensive, around 300 €. That's all right if you use it 8 hours 5 days a week. The newer WE1010  (70 W instead of 80 W) is good enough for soldering a  manageable quantity of connectors and the price in the internet is only about 160€.

For soldering mini XLR an additional tip, e.g. ET P, would be helpful (about 6€).

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

And I use one for 7 € from AliExpress, comes with 5 tips, direct 230 V connection, quick heating, temperature setting in the handle with mini LCD. Works well...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

And I use one for 7 € from AliExpress, comes with 5 tips, direct 230 V connection, quick heating, temperature setting in the handle with mini LCD. Works well...

Can you give a link - always nice to save.

rawac wrote:

The newer WE1010  (70 W instead of 80 W) is good enough for soldering a  manageable quantity of connectors and the price in the internet is only about 160€.

I bought one of these just before Xmas for rewiring the studio and building a tube guitar amp from scratch. It works great and is far better than the cheapy Chinese thing it replaced.

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

KaiS wrote:
MC wrote:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004569629568.html?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
KaiS wrote:
MC wrote:

Sorry, the page you requested can not be found sad

Ralf

Regionally blocked then. Do a search on AliExpress for '80W Electric Soldering Iron Kit Set Digital Temperature Adjustable Welding Tool Solder Tin With Iron Tips Repair Tools'...there are hundreds of sellers for this stuff...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello again,

I'm facing a little problem. I don't know what kind of solder I should choose and I've already asked in different DIY forums and everyone has a different opinion. Some say it should be silver or suggest flux. lead free... and so on.
Also I was told that some metals oxidize in combination.

The connectors I ordered have gold plated bronze contacts.

While I'm at it I also wanted to solder digital AES cables. Again, I was told on the forum that the solder should not affect the impedance of the cable.

The whole thing confuses me a bit.

I recently ordered a spool of this after loads of research, for general cable assembly and point to point or turret board guitar amp work:

https://www.mouser.it/ProductDetail/533-24-6337-8800

Leaded solder is apparently much easier to use for beginners, like me. smile I like it. Never tried silver.

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

17 (edited by KaiS 2023-02-04 16:47:01)

hasan.ay386 wrote:

I don't know what kind of solder I should choose and I've already asked in different DIY forums and everyone has a different opinion. Some say it should be silver or suggest flux. lead free... and so on.

While I'm at it I also wanted to solder digital AES cables. Again, I was told on the forum that the solder should not affect the impedance of the cable.

Choose one with Sn60 Pb Cu2 = 60% Tin, 38% Lead, 2% Copper, ca 185°C.

If, for environmental reasons, you want use lead-free go for so called silver solder (which in fact doesn’t contain much silver) like:
96.5%Sn 0%Pb 0.5%Cu 3%Ag, 217°C

A bit of copper (Cu) is important for a good flow.

Diameter 0.5 - 1.0 mm, Rosin core as flux.

Most lead-free solder runs ca. 40°C hotter than leaded, which makes it harder to work with, as you have to be faster not to melt isolations.

Leaded solder joints are easier to visible inspect, as they have a smoother, more shiny surface if done right.

Avoid Bi (Bismutum) solder, it’s available with temperatures down to 110°C, but needs special flux treatment to work.

You need 4 hands for proper soldering, so a “Helping Hands” tool or some clamps are mandatory.
The “Helpers” hold connector and wire, while you hold the soldering iron and feed the solder.

The solder does not affect the impedance in any way.
And Gold doesn’t oxidize, nor does soldering with the right flux (Rosin) cause any oxidation.

The whole thing isn’t rocket science.
Train with some pieces of wire, you soon find out.

MC wrote:
KaiS wrote:
MC wrote:

Thanks for the tip.

KaiS wrote:
hasan.ay386 wrote:

I don't know what kind of solder I should choose and I've already asked in different DIY forums and everyone has a different opinion. Some say it should be silver or suggest flux. lead free... and so on.

Choose one with Sn60 Pb Cu2 = 60% Tin, 38% Lead, 2% Copper, ca 185°C.

If, for environmental reasons, you want use lead-free go for so called silver solder (which in fact doesn’t contain much silver) like:
96.5%Sn 0%Pb 0.5%Cu 3%Ag, 217°C

A bit of copper (Cu) is important for a good flow.

Diameter 0.5 - 1.0 mm, Rosin core as flux.

Most lead-free solder runs ca. 40°C hotter than leaded, which makes it harder to work with, as you have to be faster not to melt isolations.

Leaded solder joints are easier to visible inspect, as they have a smoother, more shiny surface if done right.

Avoid Bi (Bismutum) solder, it’s available with temperatures down to 110°C, but needs special flux treatment to work.

You need 4 hands for proper soldering, so a “Helping Hands” tool or some clamps are mandatory.
The “Helpers” hold connector and wire, while you hold the soldering iron and feed the solder.

The solder does not affect the impedance in any way.
And Gold doesn’t oxidize, nor does soldering with the right flux (Rosin) cause any oxidation.

The whole thing isn’t rocket science.
Train with some pieces of wire, you soon find out.

Thanks a lot Kai!