Topic: Suggestion for Speaker / Studio Monitor Upgrade

Dear RME Forums community,

This is David. Hope I'm posting in the correct section.

I currently am using a pair of KRK Rokit5 G4 with my Babyface Pro FS. Now hoping for a speaker upgrade, because of the noisy amps in the KRK, and also I want to upgrade to a pair of speakers that would better reflect the details output by the DAC chip on my Babyface Pro FS. What speakers do you recommend?

Here's what I'm looking for:

1. Must be active / powered and the amplifiers should be as quiet as possible;
2. I live in an on-campus appartment and the laptop is in the bedroom, so I can't use a big floor standing speaker. However, I still hope the speakers can be as full range as possible. So, no standalone subwoofers if possible;
3. I don't mind DSP or analogue;
4. The idea of a pair of 3-way coaxial speaker set sounds charming, but is it really better? I don't know. If it is, then that would also be something I'm looking for.

I listen to mainly classical music, so everything from chamber music, to piano, to big orchestra and choire and pipe organ. I also like jazz trios and vocalists like Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald. I also enjoy Broadway musical cast recordings. That's what I mainly listen to. Besides this, I run piano VST instruments and play with my piano style midi keyboard controller and listen through the monitor speakers.

Thanks, and your ideas are welcome!

David

Re: Suggestion for Speaker / Studio Monitor Upgrade

Hi David,

what's your budget, max size of the speakers and listening distance?

2-way and 3-way depends on implementation. A well designed 2-way with quality drivers and enclosures is preferable over a 3-way with cheap components. 2-way + sub is also something to consider.

Depending on budget I'd look at the usual suspects: HEDD, Neumann, Geithain, Genelec, Adam, PMC, ATC, Focal, JBL etc. Personally for classical I really like Neumann 310s. Not cheap though. Personally I tend do not like DSP monitors but they do have advantages.

Last not least: you'll have to listen in your room with your music. Monitor choice is highly personal and you'll have to figure out if you for example like ribbon vs dome tweeters, closed vs ported, DSP vs non-DSP etc.

NoisyNarrowBandDevice wrote:

Hi David,

what's your budget, max size of the speakers and listening distance?

2-way and 3-way depends on implementation. A well designed 2-way with quality drivers and enclosures is preferable over a 3-way with cheap components. 2-way + sub is also something to consider.

Depending on budget I'd look at the usual suspects: HEDD, Neumann, Geithain, Genelec, Adam, PMC, ATC, Focal, JBL etc. Personally for classical I really like Neumann 310s. Not cheap though. Personally I tend do not like DSP monitors but they do have advantages.

Last not least: you'll have to listen in your room with your music. Monitor choice is highly personal and you'll have to figure out if you for example like ribbon vs dome tweeters, closed vs ported, DSP vs non-DSP etc.

Thanks for your reply, NoisyNarrowBandDevice. As for budget, that's a hard question (or quest). So far I haven't set a budget yet, but I'm definitely not going to spend $10000 on a pair of speakers. So I don't know, say $8000 or $9000 to be the limit? Regardless, I've read about this diminishing returns thing, so definitely I'd say, if the price justifies, I'll be understanding and start saving up!

Oh, ports... You reminded me -- I prefer front-ported or closed enclosures. I don't want speakers with ports in the back.

It's a bedroom, not like a cramped room or something, but not like a big living room either. I now have a mattress standing up at the back wall providing treatment, which helped the bass and over all sound of the room a lot, so much so that when I clap, the sound is direct and very dry.

I'm definitely looking for a nearfield setup.

Hope this helps!

David

If you are willing to spend in the high four-figures you should look at room acoustics first. Even in a nearfield setup.

The room fundamentally shapes the perceived sound and it makes little sense to spend that much without making sure you have low reverberation times across a wide frequency spectrum. Some room treatment beyond the mattress is worth the money.

Other than that the proof is in eating the pudding. You'll have to go out and listen and then bring the speakers you like to hear them in your space. No way around it. I have an Amphion setup here and love it but it needs an external amp and is quite costly from that standpoint.

I heartily recommend the Genelec's 8330As with 7350A sub (2.1).

Not cheap but for me they have been worth every cent. In my less than perfect space, they GLM room analysis correction has made a great difference.

Apple Mac Studio Max 64gb RAM, Ventura, RME UFX III, 12Mic, Pulse 16 MX, Studio One 6

If you are willing to spend in the high four-figures you should look at room acoustics first. Even in a nearfield setup.

The room fundamentally shapes the perceived sound and it makes little sense to spend that much without making sure you have low reverberation times across a wide frequency spectrum. Some room treatment beyond the mattress is worth the money.

Other than that the proof is in eating the pudding. You'll have to go out and listen and then bring the speakers you like to hear them in your space. No way around it. I have an Amphion setup here and love it but it needs an external amp and is quite costly from that standpoint.

I live in a rented apartment that's governed by my university, so treatments are out of the question, as most acoustic treatment means drilling holes in the wall, or doing something otherwise damaging to it. The mattress has been helpful so far to clean up the reflected sound, as well as controlling the bass output by the Rokit5's. I feel if I upgrade to a set of monitors with at least a 6.5-inch woofer, that would still be within the confines of my room?

babul wrote:

I heartily recommend the Genelec's 8330As with 7350A sub (2.1).

Not cheap but for me they have been worth every cent. In my less than perfect space, they GLM room analysis correction has made a great difference.

I agree, it's not cheap. Thanks for sharing, I prefer a 2.0 setup that is as full range as possible.

6.5 + 1 is practically the standard speaker baseline. Many mixes done on such and many consumer systems used to be in the ballpark. 6.5 provides decent bass depending on implementation to about 45hz if not driven too loud. If that is full range or not is up to debate.

However there are many variables to consider and I urge you to seek out opportunities to listen to different speaker designs. For example I don't gel with Genelec, even though I find their design aesthetically pleasing. I wanted to like them but they just don't sound right to my ears. Your ears may be different in this regard.

Bloomington should have a few stores offering a selection of current makes. Give them a try.

Bloomington should have a few stores offering a selection of current makes. Give them a try.

Unfortunately this is a small town and the only store I find only has the Yamaha HS series monitors, not what I'm interested. I heard them once and they are very bass shy. Also, the mid range is quite pronounced, too pronounced that I find the piano sounds really odd.