Topic: UCX issue after flash update

Hello,

Currently I have problem with my UCX after I attempted to do flash update..
I tried to do flash update and noticed the message that updates will be finished once I turn off UCX and turn it on again.
But after I turn on UCX, UCX shows all lights on while all green lights are blinking.
Computer could not recognize the connection also.
If I pull out the usb cable, then UCX seems like normal (no lights on and blinking).
And if I plug the usb cable again, then all lights are on while all green lights are blinking.

What should I do from now on?

Re: UCX issue after flash update

Hello all,

Same problem here !!!!!!
Card is not recognized from system anymore !!!!!!!! Windows 10 pro x64, driver 1.227.
When I remove usb cable led lights stop blinking, but when I plug the usb cable back, Christmas tree is lighting.
Card is A ghost, there is no communication with system.
Please tell me what can I do? What is happening ?

Thanks

Chris

3 (edited by donniem 2023-03-26 15:55:33)

OMG same problem here after recent flash update, using Windows updater also. PLEASE say this is fixable!

edit: when booting up without a USB connection I get an e.2 on the display, but then it seems to fix itself. Is there some kind of rescue mode?

Plugged in via USB
https://i.ibb.co/M94xZ5K/ucx-withusb.jpg

Without USB plugged in
https://i.ibb.co/GnCVVt4/ucx.jpg

SAME HERE!

Hello
I 've updated the firmware of my Fireface UCX today and after rebooting the UCX,
all the lights are turned on, and all the "SIG" Led are blinking.
The digital panel shows "88"..
My ucx is linked to a pc through usb.

When I disconnect the usb, it reboots normaly
But after connecting USB same thing...

I've tried on various PC but same thing.
I've also updated the drivers.

HELP please because before this everything was ok.
Thanks in advance

Dear All,
I hope RME will find an extremely quick solution to our problem. I guess all of us chose RME for the quality and stability of their products. In our case, obviously firmware update was not tested carefully enough before release ... this is not serious at all !

Please not that this thread relates the same issue as the one I opened yesterday:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=37108

6 (edited by christo.k 2023-03-26 17:34:02)

I didn't expect this from RME, this is unacceptable !!!!!!!
They should have been absolutely sure before releasing it.
Why they didn't test it properly?
I guess they want to act like  MOTU.
Ridiculous.....!!!!!!!

christo.k wrote:

I didn't expect this from RME, this is unacceptable !!!!!!!
They should have been absolutely sure before releasing it.
Why they didn't test it properly?
I guess they want to act like  MOTU.
Ridiculous.....!!!!!!!

I agree, this is really disappointing and shows a lack of testing.

My question is, what happens next? This is going to affect so many people.

8 (edited by christo.k 2023-03-26 18:20:46)

I don't know donniem....
I know for sure this file is STILL available for users to download it.
Nobody removes this WRONG file from download area.... really disappointing!!!!!

Edit: I had so much work to do for weekend and now I am waiting Monday for RME to wake up...!!!!!!!

A cusious question: Are you all on PC? The reason I ask is because the update should only be relevant for Apple users, so just curious if it works for ppl on mac:s.

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

ebmmbongo wrote:

A cusious question: Are you all on PC? The reason I ask is because the update should only be relevant for Apple users, so just curious if it works for ppl on mac:s.

Yes, I am on pc.
The update file is in download area for Windows / USB users.!!!!!
If someone put it in wrong place with wrong title it's time to search for a new job.

christo.k wrote:
ebmmbongo wrote:

Yes, I am on pc.
The update file is in download area for Windows / USB users.!!!!!
If someone put it in wrong place with wrong title it's time to search for a new job.

Yes, as the fut should be for all interfaces, so no problem there. I just looked at the readme, and the only new thing is driverkit update, that is why I asked. I have no idea what thappened of course, but I am sure RME will sort it quickly. However, it is sunday...

Sorry for the trouble. We have removed the FUT, put the former one back up, and will investigate how to fix this. Please be patient.

Please note the macOS FUT is not affected. The new DK version works correctly under macOS and Windows, but the new Windows FUT seems corrupted.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Clearly this wasn't tested even ONCE. So many hours lost!

14 (edited by waedi 2023-03-27 10:38:06)

Would it be better just to not publish any updates for legacy products ?
Don't you honor the open 1-click-download of all stuff ?
No registration, no subscription, no email-confirmation, no SMS-code-verification, no update plan, all for free, the drivers, the software, flash update tools, all directly to get from the website !
Once in 20 years a software has a fail and I guess tomorrow is a new FUT online...?
...just a thought.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

Would it be better just to not publish any updates for legacy products ?
Once in 20 years a software has a fail and I guess tomorrow is a new FUT online...?

That'd be all right if it were a driver malfunction (as it is easy to rollback), but this firmware failure made the device's USB connection completely unusable.
RME products are valued for their stable operation and relative longevity. So the current usability issue may affect the brand image and company reputation, if only in the minds of some of the "legacy product" owners.

P.S. Has anyone tried plugging the UCX via Firewire to check whether the OS sees it?

Then beside this user-forum there is still the official RME support : support@rme-audio.com

The Windows USB Series FUT is back online, including a fixed UCX USB firmware v49. This was the only corrupted entry. An old UCX (later ones use firmware 138) flashed with the former FUT still fully works with FireWire (and stand-alone), but USB runs into a boot loop with FireWire, so there is no way to fix this for affected customers by another FUT - this needs reprogramming at our service centers.

While it is clear that this will be free for all affected customers I can not yet say how the handling of this process is done - this needs international collaboration, as affected customers seem few, but spread all over the world.

Sorry again. We provide a high number of firmware updates, and this - as far as I remember - must be the first such incident in 27 years.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Same here, recently bought. Couldn´t even test it.

19 (edited by Patrick_DELOBEL 2023-03-27 15:14:51)

lenyadin, to answer your question "Has anyone tried plugging the UCX via Firewire to check whether the OS sees it?"

I just borrowed my wife's Mac Pro running under Mojave (10.4), and installed both FireWire and usb drivers :
- The USB connection has the same issue as on my PC.
- The Firewire connection is OK and, guess what, everything seems to work fine on the UCX. At least no hardware seams to be altered. I took advantage of this to re-enable channel settings for my room monitoring to work.

If only RME was able to allow firmware update on a Mac through Firewire (which is impossible today ... or maybe possible at RME R&D labs, mmhhh Matthias ???...), at least we could locally, and quickly, help each other to get back to a firmware that has a correct USB interop.

lenyadin wrote:

but this firmware failure made the device's USB connection completely unusable.

Gentlemen this is the major disaster !!!!!!!!!!!
There is no usb handshaking, usb communication is lost !!!!!

RME Technicians inform me that they are hardly working on it, and need some time to fix it.

I am waiting, there is nothing else to do .

21 (edited by kys1992 2023-03-27 16:19:55)

It seems like it will take some time. So I bough second-hand-ID44 for the moment...
Thank you for kind answer and hope it will be alright.
Be calm and patience gentlemen, look at my funny face cat. :-)

PunBB bbcode test

They have to be serviced, which could take weeks or months. Yay!

donniem wrote:

They have to be serviced, which could take weeks or months. Yay!

the day ends, no news yet, donniem speak the truth.......

same problem here sad and if the solution takes weeks or months, definitely this is a big disaster,because many of us were using this interface to work and now we need to buy an alternative until this gets solved... i'm hoping RME will give us a good solution soon,since they have always provided good customer service

marcosgarciasounds wrote:

same problem here sad and if the solution takes weeks or months, definitely this is a big disaster,because many of us were using this interface to work and now we need to buy an alternative until this gets solved... i'm hoping RME will give us a good solution soon,since they have always provided good customer service

https://www.rme-audio.de/support.html
Scroll down to your country and contact the support address, the support partners of RME are all over the world.
It will not take months ! That's panic.
Here in Europe it takes a few days. Where I live its a few hours because I would go there myself by train.

26 (edited by christo.k 2023-03-27 20:03:18)

Waedi are you serious man?
There is no need to do that.
RME knows the problem and they are trying to fix it.
They don't need any other ticket or additional info about the case.
Believe me they know exactly what's went wrong.

yes I'm serious, it will not take months if you try to find the nearest service point and try to contact them directly, the repair is covered from RME, the addresses of service partners are on the website, up to you.

christo.k wrote:

Waedi are you serious man?
There is no need to do that.
RME knows the problem and they are trying to fix it.
They don't need any other ticket or additional info about the case.
Believe me they know exactly what's went wrong.

Well, it is kind of hard to get service unless you contact RME...

I had very good and very fast service at direct contact.

waedi wrote:

Scroll down to your country and contact the support address, the support partners of RME are all over the world.
Here in Europe it takes a few days. Where I live its a few hours because I would go there myself by train.

There isn't any support partner in Spain...i've tried sending an email this morning to support@rme-audio.com but there's no answer at the moment.

Yes I see, may be France is the place, be patient they will respond you surely.

First of all problem appeared Friday, now it's Monday. The most important for all of us is RME find a solution.
The problem affects many users, don't forget we talk about a faulty firmware file.
It doesn't matter if someone lives in Paris , Germany or Spain.
It doesn't matter also if RME respond individually to each one of us.
RME have to publish the results and solution asap via official website, even if somebody didn't contact them directly.
RME time is against you, because the fault is yours.

christo.k wrote:

First of all problem appeared Friday, now it's Monday. The most important for all of us is RME find a solution.
The problem affects many users, don't forget we talk about a faulty firmware file.
RME have to publish the results and solution asap via official website, even if somebody didn't contact them directly.

Jeez, why nor relax just a bit? RME is not only known for their quality but also for their customer service, so bring out your backup soundcard and let RME do their work, and I am sure they will sort everything out in short order.

ebmmbongo wrote:
christo.k wrote:

Jeez, why nor relax just a bit? RME is not only known for their quality but also for their customer service, so bring out your backup soundcard and let RME do their work, and I am sure they will sort everything out in short order.

Jeez???
Relax???
I don't have an operational sound card for 3 days and I don't know why.
Do you know what is my job mister???
Jeez????
I am not listening music with this card mister, is that clear????
Jeez?????

christo.k wrote:
ebmmbongo wrote:
christo.k wrote:

Jeez???
Relax???
I don't have an operational sound card for 3 days and I don't know why.
Do you know what is my job mister???
Jeez????
I am not listening music with this card mister, is that clear????
Jeez?????

No, I have no idea what your job is, but if you dont have a backup sound card I'd guess you are not a pro in any kind of music or audio related field. Everything breaks sooner or later, so yeah why not relax and let RME sort the problem?

Patrick_DELOBEL wrote:

lenyadin, to answer your question "Has anyone tried plugging the UCX via Firewire to check whether the OS sees it?"

Sorry, but I answered that question already two posts up of yours.

Patrick_DELOBEL wrote:

If only RME was able to allow firmware update on a Mac through Firewire

I also made clear in my post that this is not possible. The FireWire firmware does not support firmware updates through FireWire, so even writing a so far not existing FUT would bring us nowhere.

christo.k wrote:

I can not confirm this. Just publishing a firmware update does not mean thousands immediately download and install it. Especially over a weekend. Most users did not notice nor expect a firmware update for their old UCX.

But even if, some will not update immediately but first wait a few days or weeks.  Others read the included readme first and notice that there is zero improvement, only added Mac compatibility which they don't need, so don't perform the update at all.

In total numbers we currently have around 20 (twenty) users affected. You seem to think in the 100 or 1000 range...

That said what I also already wrote stays valid - the unit needs to be sent in and reprogrammed. Please contact RME support directly for details how to handle this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

37 (edited by christo.k 2023-03-28 05:31:17)

MC wrote:

That said what I also already wrote stays valid - the unit needs to be sent in and reprogrammed. Please contact RME support directly for details how to handle this.

Is this an official statement?
You mean that all affected users have to send the damaged unit to Germany?
Please be more clear.!!!!!!

Edit: thanks for not interested for 20 users.
20 users are zero users.

Thanks

38 (edited by christo.k 2023-03-28 06:49:31)

Perfect..!!!!
Mr Matthias from RME told us that users are responsible for downloading and installing faulty firmware file from official RME website.
My official statement is that I will visit many forums around the world to spread the news.

39 (edited by kys1992 2023-03-28 08:27:26)

Jeez, a guy in local distributer (Soundcat, Korea) told me that there is possibility that repair might not be free.
If it really cause cost, then it will be awful...

A few seconds ago, RME technical department inform me that I have to send the unit to them in Germany.
I don't know anything about the cost, but I will ask them.

41 (edited by donniem 2023-03-28 09:34:56)

kys1992 wrote:

Jeez, a guy in local distributer (Soundcat, Korea) told me that there is possibility that repair might not be free.

If anyone has to pay even one single penny for this, please say in this thread. This is RME's responsibility to put right, not ours.

Same here. Looking forward to get an appropriate answer from RME.

I just phoned RME support, they advised me to contact the local support representative (Synthax Audio in the UK). They also said these will be fixed free of charge.

donniem wrote:

I just phoned RME support, they advised me to contact the local support representative (Synthax Audio in the UK). They also said these will be fixed free of charge.

Me too

MC wrote:

While it is clear that this will be free for all affected customers...

while I completely understand the frustration, I don't know why the suspicion about customers having to pay to fix their units is even being discussed after the above response.

I wish a speedy resolution for everyone affected by this issue smile

-Steve

christo.k wrote:

You mean that all affected users have to send the damaged unit to Germany?

That depends on where you are. Please contact the local distributor for further details. It may be possible to send the affected unit directly to Germany. In the US, Synthax will reprogram units, so will distibutors in Japan and Hong Kong, if needed.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

donniem wrote:

If anyone has to pay even one single penny for this, please say in this thread. This is RME's responsibility to put right, not ours.

That's quite obvious and has been stated already.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

kys1992 wrote:

That's not correct. They can also send the unit to Hong Kong, so it won't have to go all the way back to Germany.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

waedi wrote:

There isn't any support partner in Spain...i've tried sending an email this morning to support@rme-audio.com but there's no answer at the moment.

Marcos they will respond quick. I also live in Spain and have to send my unit to Barcelona.

There is one, I sent you the address....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME