Topic: Babyface Pro (non FS) power question

just got a used BFPro (70798332) locally for playing live as my other small interface (a focusrite) died.

sometimes i get strange disconnects, cleaned out the usb port, still sometimes the audio on the macbook reverts to built-in, than the BF gets recognized again.

fut 203 and 3.222A running on10.15.7, macbook pro 13" mid2014

general question: when running on battery only, does the macbook not provide enough power - could this lead to such disconnects?
i got several disconnects when on battery, but right before also one when running on power adapter.
no phantom-power switched on, nothing connected, aside from a pair of beyerdynamic dt770s ...

is it possible to make a good guess what the cause could be, or should i return it? which i would hate to do, honestly, it's perfect and a new FS is a bit too expensive right now and not in stock.

thanks!

DigifaceUSB/BabyfacePRO/MacMini M2Pro 12-core 32GB/Ventura/Logic/Reaper

Re: Babyface Pro (non FS) power question

try with an external psu for the babyface. the manual states whats needed. if no disconnects then it is a usb power issue.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

try with an external psu for the babyface. the manual states whats needed. if no disconnects then it is a usb power issue.

yeah, it's better with a 12volt 1A PS, still got one disconnect. the usb port also seems to be a bit 'wobbly' - but the disconnects also happen when nothing is being touched ...

4 (edited by waedi 2023-04-14 03:22:42)

On my Madiface Pro the USB socket is also a bit wobbly, it seems to be normal.
They feel a bit wobbly, but no issue, it works fine.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

The USB port is not wobbly. You might not use the original angled USB cable which is included with the unit, or haven't inserted its specially shaped plug completely. It grips into the housing with zero wiggle left.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thats true, I use a cheap USB-C cable, the original cable is saved in the box.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

cowudders wrote:
vinark wrote:

yeah, it's better with a 12volt 1A PS, still got one disconnect. the usb port also seems to be a bit 'wobbly' - but the disconnects also happen when nothing is being touched ...

Have you tried another USB cable?
I use my Babyface pro on different computers and on my iPad and never had one single problem with the USB connection. And yes, using the original cable, the USB port on the Babyface pro is very tight!

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

MC wrote:

The USB port is not wobbly. You might not use the original angled USB cable which is included with the unit, or haven't inserted its specially shaped plug completely. It grips into the housing with zero wiggle left.

the original usb cable was not included, gonna try to find one, will ask thomann ...

but the disconnects also happened when nothing was moved, seemed quite random.
and i just discovered that the 'A SET' button does not work at all ... sigh

So you bought a used unit?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

So you bought a used unit?

yes, as i wrote in my first post. wanted to substitute a cheap focusrite for live-gigs, got an ok price ... if this doesn't work out, i'll just stretch for a new FS even at 3 times what i paid.

in my studio everything is rme since 20 years, currently i got 3 interfaces made by you. they all run so well, i forget they are there.

11 (edited by ramses 2023-04-15 11:02:37)

If I may offer another consideration, if your budget allows. I would suggest considering acquiring the UCX II instead.
This device offers you greater flexibility and functionality, including the ability to create recordings or backup recordings using DURec, which could be advantageous for you. This could prove particularly useful for live gigs.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13