1 (edited by AJS 2023-04-26 23:23:52)

Topic: Madiface USB - Firmware Flash Tool doesn't work - SOLVED !!!

Hello,

Can someone help ?

I'm Running Monterey 12.6.5
On an Intel i9 2019 MacBook Pro

Trying to hook up to a Madiface USB

Installed newest drivers (and tried others available (3.27, 4.06 beta)  in attempt to get things working
Made sure extension was 'allowed' during install process
Made sure security is set to off in recovery mode.

Madiface is recognised in Fireface USB settings app and can control my 648
Madiface is not recognised by Total Mix (doesn't show in initial device selection popup)
Download the USB Flash tool to update MadiFace's firmware.

Flash tool recognises Madiface (shows unit and serial no) : Says it's on Firmware v. 19 and can upgrade to v.25
Press the update button and Nothing happens.

Tried the Flash tool on an the  i9 Monterey MacBook pro WITH the RME Driver / TotalMix installed
Tried the Flash tool on another i9 Catalina MacBook Pro WITHOUT RME  Driver / TotalMix installed (to get round any conflict)
Tried the Flash tool on an i7 Sierra (10.12.6)  MacBook Pro WITHOUT RME  Driver / TotalMix installed

Still the same problem... the app won't start the firmware update process.
I've also tried various USB cables and adaptors with no luck.
The yellow light on the Madiface is on solid.

Does anyone have any ideas what's happening ?

I'm sure it's not a hardware issue as the MadiFace  is recognised by the Fireface USB settings app,
and that in turn can control the attached 648 (and solidly lock and recognise the attached word clocked
and adat connected mic pres).

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated !!!!

Thanks a lot

AJS

PS: Sorry for the double post, I dropped the same question in the USB beta driver thread.

2 (edited by AJS 2023-04-26 23:22:36)

Re: Madiface USB - Firmware Flash Tool doesn't work - SOLVED !!!

SOLVED !

I found and downloaded the Sierra (10.12.6) compatible drivers and installed them onto the i7.

Once installed the Flash Tool worked and updated the Madiface to v.25.

Then went back to the main (Monterey) i9 MBP and installed the latest drivers (4.07) and everything is working beautifully.

I think this issue is exactly what the dk407 installer readme was talking about:

" While the firmware update tool would run on M1/2 machines, it needs a working driver.
But the driver is not loaded if the firmware is not updated. So the interface firmware must
be updated first, using a computer that runs the Kernel Extension driver, or a Windows computer."

.. even though my computer isn't M1...

It might just be a later OS issue, where the extra permissions / security factors come into play.

Phew : )

AJS