1 (edited by neesebeats 2023-05-02 22:34:19)

Topic: Babyface Pro FS Strange LED & Control Problems

Hi everybody,

I recently purchased a used Babyface Pro FS. While testing before purchasing, the device was working perfectly. All inputs & outputs were working & the LED's & buttons were working as they should. After purchasing I took the home & updated the firmware & did a power cycle on the same Windows laptop I used to test, with the latest drivers. After the update, I noticed that none of the LED's on the unit were on, and the buttons were unresponsive. My laptop was still picking up the device, & if when I opened TotalMix (I had to manually open the .exe as it wasn't automatically opening) I noticed that I could still control the device in TotalMix, & all outputs & inputs were working, I just couldn't control the unit with the buttons & I was getting no feedback from the LED's.

The more I tried to figure out the issue, the weirder it got. I eventually realized that some buttons were working but not entirely as intended. When I clicked the OUT button, I could see in TotalMix that it toggling between Main, AS 1/2 & AN 1/2. The wheel was working to adjust the gain of these parameters as I switched between them. Again, none of this was being reflected by the LED which are completely off. The IN button isn't doing anything. The DIM button is working as intended.

I then realized, that the LED's were flashing sometimes, according the output volume of my system, but not the correct LED's. Here is a video of the device while listening to a podcast. You can see that as the voice in the podcast get's louder, the LED's will turn on: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lHipfd … sp=sharing

Here is what the device does when I hold select & turn the wheel (very strange). This doesn't happen every time which is another weird aspect of this as the device doesn't seem to act consistently & the buttons seem to act a little differently every time I power cycle the device: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XaChnm … sp=sharing
Doing this seems to control the panning of either Main, AN1/2 or AS1/2

Here is what the device does when I plug it in: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fxT0UW … sp=sharing

Another thing I should mention is that it has worked as intended twice but only for about 10 second, before the LED's fade away.

Here is what I've tried to fix the issue:

- Reflashing the firmware
- Reinstalling the drivers
- Plugging in the power supply
- Tried on a mac laptop with the mac drivers
- Tried three different USB cables, as when I bought the device it didn't come with the original cable
- Tried all the USB ports on my laptop, which is a powerful Windows computer
- Setting to CC mode & back

Does anybody know what I can do to fix this, if anything? This card was a big investment for me & I'm pretty bummed about this. Luckily I can still use the device with TotalMix but I would like to fix this issue.

Re: Babyface Pro FS Strange LED & Control Problems

What I would try : Set it in CC-mode for a short test and then setting back to normal mode.
Just a try

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

What I would try : Set it in CC-mode for a short test and then setting back to normal mode.
Just a try

I have tried this.

To me, the issue clearly seems to be related to a hardware fault. But yes, why it appeard just after the firmware update …?
Regardless to that I would suggest to read in the manual about the knob functions. Without the feedback of certain led lights, it’s hard to see what is happening.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2