Topic: using the ufx+ lowest latency (for practice playing) midi and audio

hey
i need your help for getting the best latency possible for practicing playing instruments. i have a couple of months i wont produce any music.

i already enabled in cubase 12 pro the asio guard and direct monitoring options.

is there something i can do to reduce the latency in total mix? any settings to change?

i just use keyscape for playing piano and guitar rig/ampletube for guitar and bass.

any suggestions?

thank you.

2 (edited by oli77sch 2023-05-04 14:41:44)

Re: using the ufx+ lowest latency (for practice playing) midi and audio

Hi
The TotalMix app represents what is going on in the interface hardware (and lets you control it of course). The converters and DSP are near zero latency, so nothing to optimise there.
For software instruments, look for the lowest possible (still working) buffer size in the settings of your UFX+.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

@Motix: before asking for optimization, could you kindly describe the current situation...

I assume you have the RME ASIO driver loaded in Cubase.
What's the sample rate and what ASIO buffer size are you using in the RME driver settings?

What does Cubase tell you in terms of Input and Output latency?

As a rule of thumb, you should be fine with an ASIO buffersize <= 128 samples at single speed (44.1 / 48 kHz).

You do not have the full RTL (round trip latency) when playing an VSTi (no A/D conversion). Nevertheless, I would suggest, having an eye on the sum of input and output latency as reported by the ASIO driver in Cubase. Try to stay around / below 10ms.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Also direct monitoring has nothing to do with latency playing vst instruments

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.