Topic: RME Babyface phantom power not working

Hey guys,

I've been recording with a RME Babyface FS mk2 for a couple of months now. No trouble.
Today I wanted to record a ukulele part using two NT5 mics. I have used this pair with the RME before. But phantom power doesn't seem to activate the mics anymore.

I ruled out the cables and mics as the issue by replacing those. Also it doesn't matter if I set the channel gain in TotalMix to 0 or 65, the level remains very low. See screenshot channel 1 and 2: https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0340 … g#Totalmix

I'm afraid I need some help here. Is there anybody who knows what might be the issue?

Vincent

Re: RME Babyface phantom power not working

Can you test this with external power supply?
Do rhe inputs work normally with dynamic mics?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I have the nt5 microphones and they work with my bfp fs. I wonder if your bfp is suddenly not getting enough power to supply phantom power. So as above do you have a PSU you can check with. Have you tried a different usb port on another controller.

Have you just downloaded the new driver and it’s happened since that?

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

4 (edited by vincentzaalberg 2023-02-07 14:48:09)

Thanks for your suggestion.
I just tested with a suitable power supply adapter and a SM58 Beta dynamic mic.
No difference, the level remains low no matter how I set the phantom power.
Driver is up to date and wasn't changed since when the mics did show enough level.
I tried another USB3 port but no improvement there either.
I guess there is something else going on...

I would try a Totalmix total Reset, sort out Totalmix failure.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

6 (edited by vincentzaalberg 2023-02-07 16:10:41)

waedi wrote:

I would try a Totalmix total Reset, sort out Totalmix failure.

Performed a Total Reset (Opens menu/Reset Mix/Total Reset), no luck at all.
Disconnected all ADAT and USB plugs from computer and did a full re-install of TotalMix, no luck still.

I noticed the phantom power is working since the mics do have a faint signal when activated and no signal at all when deactivated.
It's just that the TotalMix gain knobs don't seem to do anything to the signal...

Hands in my hair over here.

Please provide a screenshot of the inputs with nothing connected and gain at the lowest and highest setting.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Please provide a screenshot of the inputs with nothing connected and gain at the lowest and highest setting.

Sure thing. Disconnected everything from the Babyface except the USB cable to the computer obviously.
There doesn't seem to be a difference between the two screenshots. Should there be?

Gain 0:https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0c3lGFv-9Q5UIZKibclB1XRNA#gain_0
Gain 65: https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/022R … FA#gain_65

Gain doesn't seem to be gaining, apparently... This might need service. Is the unit's firmware up to date?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

10 (edited by vincentzaalberg 2023-02-07 16:36:34)

Okay I have finally discovered the issue. Although I don't understand why this is happening. Probably slipped in during the last OSX Monterey 12.6.3 security update. Or it could be I am doing some weird user error.

The mic volume slider in Mac system prefs now controls the mic gain of the Babyface!
This wasn't setup like this before if I remember correctly, as I was always able to control the Babyface input gain via Totalmix only.

Has anybody encountered this yet and maybe know a fix?

If your computer can be upgraded to Ventura, I would do.
It has improvements in the audio system.

waedi wrote:

If your computer can be upgraded to Ventura, I would do.
It has improvements in the audio system.

Okay thanks for your suggestion. Could you be more specific on the benefit(s) for audio when upgrading from Monterey to Ventura?
I'd be risking soft/hardware incompatibility issues when I do. So I'd have to have very clear specific reasons to update.
Thanks.

13 (edited by waedi 2023-02-08 13:08:53)

One thing I noticed was the bluetooth headphone no longer stuttering when listening a DAW.
Working in Logic or Reaper was not possible with the bluetooth headphone on Monterey with my MacBookAirM1.
After upgrade to Ventura, the bluetooth connection became stable and I can work mixing in the DAW outside with the bluetooth headphones.
Over all the computer runs smooth.
As for any upgrade, software from others need to be checked for compatibility. I had no lost.

vincentzaalberg wrote:

Hey guys,

I've been recording with a RME Babyface FS mk2 for a couple of months now. No trouble.
Today I wanted to record a ukulele part using two NT5 mics. I have used this pair with the RME before. But phantom power doesn't seem to activate the mics anymore.

I ruled out the cables and mics as the issue by replacing those. Also it doesn't matter if I set the channel gain in TotalMix to 0 or 65, the level remains very low. See screenshot channel 1 and 2: https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0340 … g#Totalmix

I'm afraid I need some help here. Is there anybody who knows what might be the issue?

Vincent

Dear Friend,

Do not make any changes in your setup, it may the issue of the BFP Fs.
Use an additional phantom power between the mic and BFP Fs inputs.

I am also facing the same issue with my BFP.
Last two years I use BFP with external phantom power
Thank You

It helps if you read the whole thread. Issue seems to have been resolved already and is not related to phantom power at all.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME