Topic: RME USB Series Flash Tool.app on Mac OS 13.3.1 (a) / M2 Pro processor

I want to use a Fireface UC on a MacBook Pro with M2 Pro, running on Mac OS 13.3.1 (a).

I made the suggested adjustments in the safe startup mode, however can't get the RME USB Series Flash Tool.app to run. After double-clicking the application, it closes right away again and I don't see any messages in the Privacy & Security prefs.

if you please could point me out to the right source how to update the firmware on this configuration that would be superb.

Re: RME USB Series Flash Tool.app on Mac OS 13.3.1 (a) / M2 Pro processor

Is Totalmix opening and working ?
Sure the UC is in Apple mode AP and not in PC mode ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thanks for your quick reply. When I double-press the rotary knob it displays AP

Total Mix does not open, I understood that the firmware update needs to be done prior to installing a new driver

since I used Apple's migration assistant tool when installing the computer from a previous machine with an M1Pro, it might also be that some remnants of the older drivers I used with a Fireface UFX are still somewhere?

See here: https://rme-audio.de/driverkit-info.html

The firmware update runs on all versions of M1/M2. But as it needs the driver, and the driver is not working as long as the device firmware has not been updated, it is necessary to first update the firmware of these interfaces using the former kernel extension driver!

If the firmware is really not up to date (v127 or v138 is current, depending on the hardware version) then you need to install the older driver v3.28a after following the instructions here: https://www.rme-usa.com/rme-macos.html

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks for your reply, I followed the guidance on https://rme-audio.de/driverkit-info.html

however the firmware tool does not start up properly in order to install the latest firmware on the device

the link https://www.rme-usa.com/rme-macos.html ultimately just leads me to the same resources which won't seem to function in this set up strangely

FH wrote:

Thanks for your reply, I followed the guidance on https://rme-audio.de/driverkit-info.html

however the firmware tool does not start up properly in order to install the latest firmware on the device

the link https://www.rme-usa.com/rme-macos.html ultimately just leads me to the same resources which won't seem to function in this set up strangely

Do you have for sure installed the kernel extension driver v3.28a first? This one is needed for the flash update tool.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

yes, I ran 3.28A (Fireface USB 328A.pkg)

the installer at the end of the process requests a restart, but nothing happens once the computer restarted, the host light on the Fireface UC remains red

and when trying to run RME USB Series Flash Tool.app (Update 2.58) the situation remains as initially described, that the RME USB Series Flash Tool.app quits right away again

And you disconnected the UC from the computer and from power and reconnected it ?

9 (edited by oli77sch 2023-05-06 09:30:16)

Try different USB ports, with and without hubs, different cables. Also as Waedi already wrote, different (re-)powering / (re-)connecting orders.

yes, i disconnected and switched the UC off and back on

also I tried the steps described under rme.to/reset and once that was done, ran the Fireface USB 328A.pkg installer again, allowing the needed approvals in the OS X Privacy and Security settings, but no change.

The  RME USB Series Flash Tool.app (Update 2.58) still refuses to launch

Sure that this is the correct version for the set up I have here?

https://rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_usb_mac.zip

this one ?

yes exactly this one

FH wrote:

yes, i disconnected and switched the UC off and back on

also I tried the steps described under rme.to/reset and once that was done, ran the Fireface USB 328A.pkg installer again, allowing the needed approvals in the OS X Privacy and Security settings, but no change.

The  RME USB Series Flash Tool.app (Update 2.58) still refuses to launch

Sure that this is the correct version for the set up I have here?

Regardless to the flash update tool, the UC should work with the driver v3.28 anyway.

Was the UC in use with another computer before? So, overall, is the unit ok for sure?

the Fireface USB 328A.pkg installer runs fine, however there seems to be no 'connection' to the Fireface UC

I wonder also why the RME USB Series Flash Tool.app does not launch properly and quits right away again

I tried all the different USB C Ports and also the device runs without issues on a different Mac (with Intel processor)

also, I had a Fireface UFX running perfectly fine on an Mac with an M1 Pro processor

is there a way to locate eventual remnants of previous RME installers, since I used Apple Migration Assistant - with the M1 Pro Mac that had the drivers for the Fireface UFX installed, as a source? Or should these have been taken care of with the command line given under rme.to/reset?

If your Intel based Mac is still available, you could check what firmware version is on the UC now. Also of course you could try to update it there.

mans thanks to you both, it's resolved:

the power supply was faulty, I measured it last night and it only produced a little over 900mA, which apparently was just enough to light up all the control lights in the UC as usual, however not enough to make it properly connect via the USB port to the computer!

FH wrote:

mans thanks to you both, it's resolved:

the power supply was faulty, I measured it last night and it only produced a little over 900mA, which apparently was just enough to light up all the control lights in the UC as usual, however not enough to make it properly connect via the USB port to the computer!

Glad to hear you’ve found the issue. And it’s easy to solve at least.