Topic: Does Babyface Pro FS really have Hi-Z?

Hi all, new member here! Just bought RME Babyface pro fs and just wondering does it really have Hi-Z input?
So here is a situation. I have my Epiphone Les Paul plugged in IN3, gain level set to 7.0. My friend on the other side have almost similar guitar plugged in to his UCX with input level even to mine. He said that to activate Hi Z mode on his UCX he needs to press Inst button in Total Mix. Otherwise it will be Line input. So here is the screenshot. As you can see Babyface FS looks and sounds exactly like UCX line input and UCX with Inst button is a Hi Z. Please, help us to understand. Does it mean that there is no Hi Z in Babyface Pro Fs?
https://i.imgur.com/XEQZbgO.png

Re: Does Babyface Pro FS really have Hi-Z?

Did you read manual ch 9.6?

I think you forgot to raise the sensitivity of your analog input channel AN3.
I appears to me as if you set it to studio level +4 dBu, set it to consumer level -10 dBV.
You find the reference level settings in TM FX behind the wrench symbol.

"Input channels 3 and 4 are found as TS jacks on the right side of the Babyface Pro. These Hi-Z universal inputs have an input impedance of 1 MOhm. The input gain is controlled and per-formed digitally and limited to 9 dB. An additional hardware-based reference level optimizes the signal to noise ratio. Choices are +4 dBu and -10 dBV."

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

BTW for fine tuning of the input level (after setting it to higher sensitivity for consumer level) you can add additional gain up to +9 dB.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

BTW, for low level instruments there is now a Boost option with the latest firmware and drivers.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok, thank you guys! I just tried with my guitar, so +4DBu with 9.0 gain sounds exactly the same as -10dBV with 1.0 gain. Does it mean that it's all Hi Z and i don't need to swith to -10dBv if i satisfied with how my guitar sounds on +4Dbu?

6 (edited by ramses 2023-05-10 13:51:34)

The natural order of steps is to first choose the proper reference level (in the analog domain) and then to use digital gain additional if needed.
Reference Levels are not there to sound better. The purpose to have different ones is simply
to set the sensitivity for the input so that the signal is in an optimum working range for the converter.
Not too high (to prevent overload and to have a little headroom for peaks)
Not too low to have good SNR and Dynamic.

CustomMelody wrote:

Does it mean that it's all Hi Z

That question had been answered in post #2 already.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME