1 (edited by fenderer 2023-02-28 21:59:48)

Topic: TotalMix 1.78 causing graphic issue in Logic Pro

Hello.  I have a rather strange problem between TotalMix 1.78/ RME UFX and Logic Pro. 10.7.7

I am using driver_usb_mac_328.zip which appears to be latest driver for my system.

System Spec.  Mac Mini M1 2020, OS Monterey 12.6, Logic 10.7.7, RME UFX.

The problem is when TotalMix is open, I experience a problem in Logic with Graphics not drawing waveforms correctly during recording.  The red region behind the playback head does not update and draw the waveform until you click on the screen with the mouse.

If I close TotalMix there is no problem and Logic Pro works perfectly.  Also there is no issue with the operation of TotalMix, and this seems to work fine.  It's just that having TotalMix open causes this weird behaviour to Logic.

It seems like TotalMix is hogging some kind of graphics resources and leaving Logic Pro unable to undertake drawing operations within the software.   I have a video of the behaviour here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/im3a7msz6tdwj … m.mp4?dl=0

I need to have both Logic and TotalMix running together so I am keen to fix the issue.

Does anybody know what the problem is here and how to fix?

Re: TotalMix 1.78 causing graphic issue in Logic Pro

things you can update for testing.
From Monterey to Ventura,
From RME 328 to 406 (Beta) https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/driv … ac_406.zip

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

I tried 406 but the TotalMix window will not even load. 

Upgrade to Ventura isn't an option sadly as it will kill some of my essential plugins...

I see someone else has also reported this exact same issue here:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=36634

So it is definitely an issue that needs looking at in TotalMix.

Maybe you have MIDI running.
On my system I have to deselect the midi from RME UFX+ in Logic when using midi over Madi for remote control of 12 mic.
Is there an orange blinking dot in the the upper logic window? That will indicate that there is some midi connection running.

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

I don't get why that is a problem with respect to TotalMix?  MIDI implementation is required in most DAWs and like most users I users I have keyboards controllers and modules connected via MIDI.

I think the issue here is more of a memory leak/ graphical issue in TotalMix taking graphical resources away from Logic.  As soon as you shut Totalmix the problem is resolved.  But obviously we need Totalmix to be running.

I have the exact same problem Logic does not write waveforms, but I was not aware it was because of RME totalmix software.

Im using Ventura 13.2.1
And totalmix 1.78

So updating Mac osx will not fix the problem

Regards
Christian

christian wulff wrote:

I have the exact same problem Logic does not write waveforms, but I was not aware it was because of RME totalmix software.

Im using Ventura 13.2.1
And totalmix 1.78

So updating Mac osx will not fix the problem

Regards
Christian

Thanks for the reply.  Good to know I don't need to waste my time upgrading to Ventura and having the same issue.   Yes if you close TotalMix whilst recording you will see the problem is instantly fixed...

But of course we need TotalMix to be running at the same time.

I have had some communication with RME support about this issue but they say it is just a 'local problem'. How can it be just a local problem when now 3 users on here have all reported the exact same issue?

RME we need some action here.

I don't see that behaviour here (Ventura 13.2.1 LPX 10.7.7) UFXII driver b4.06

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

I remember this, but I still can not imagine how Totalmix running would inhibit a software internal process like graphics updates. Whatever it is, it would be Logic reacting to something, not Totalmix atively causing this - it can't, really.

You'd really need to ask Apple what could possibly have an influence on the graphics update here. Then perhaps we could investigate. Perhaps you could also find out what might be common denominators in the three cases here, like similarities in hardware or so.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

I remember this, but I still can not imagine how Totalmix running would inhibit a software internal process like graphics updates. Whatever it is, it would be Logic reacting to something, not Totalmix atively causing this - it can't, really.

You'd really need to ask Apple what could possibly have an influence on the graphics update here. Then perhaps we could investigate. Perhaps you could also find out what might be common denominators in the three cases here, like similarities in hardware or so.

I've got an ongoing case with Apple in regard to Core Audio and some weird stuff going on with, for example, triggering alert sounds (even when they're going to the internal speaker of a mac, M1 Ultra in this case, causing a processor overload in ProTools, or a forgiving glitch in LogcProX or Apple Music.
Does my head in and until now, no solution. Others have reported similar behaviour on intel Macs, so not sure what it's all about/

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

RME Support wrote:

All I hear is 'NOT OUR PROBLEM'...   I'm pretty sure Apple would give the same response too.

I have a new video of the behaviour HERE!!.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jlk5h0ppm1vtd … 2.mp4?dl=0

It's pretty clear what the problem is.  I can't fix it though...  and I don't think Apple will be admitting any issues, or issuing any updates for an incompatibility with RME software.  Ultimately that's your job not mine.

So this just leaves RME users with a poor user experience.  sad

12 (edited by fenderer 2023-03-08 18:50:13)

mattrixx wrote:

I don't see that behaviour here (Ventura 13.2.1 LPX 10.7.7) UFXII driver b4.06

Thanks good to know, especially if you are using the M1 chip.  My next step is to try to upgrade my firmware on my UFX to allow use of the 4.06 Beta driver.

Having the same exact problem.... Logic Pro 10.7.8, Totalmix 1.78 on macOS Ventura 13.2. It is annoying..

Logic Pro X | RME Fireface UFX | ARC USB

Maybe it would be worth to try a newer version of TotalMix, especially because since with version 1.82 another graphic issue was solved:

New in TotalMix FX 1.82:
- Mac only: Includes a workaround for graphics cards that show a scrambled TotalMix FX window after wake from sleep

(Current version is 1.83)

And maybe also update Ventura to 13.4?

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

maybe a bit late but is there any solution so far? I have the same problem: during recording, logic does not display any waveform and does not build any region, so you don't know if you are really recording. As soon as I quit Totalmix, everything works as expected.
Mac Studio M2 (Ventura 13.6), Logic Pro X (10.7.9)
FF UFX (v361) Driver: x4.08, Totalmix 1.85

Ok, I think I have solved the problem (at least mine:)
The problem was not the TotalMix software itself, but rather the ARC USB controller, which constantly sends some midi signals to logic and thus prevents logic from displaying the waveform during recording. The solution was to go to Settings -> Midi -> Inputs and uncheck the ARC USB box and everything works as usual.

That's interesting. Is your ARC USB sending MIDI or SysEx?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

By trying out the different midi input filters in Logic I found out that it is the control change data sent by the ARC USB that causes the problems.

This problem - no red waveform during audio recording in Logic Pro (10.8.1) showed here as well on a Mac Pro 7.1 running Mac OS Ventura 13.6.1 with TotalMix 1.75. and an Arc Control.
I tried to disable the Arc Control's MIDI Inputs without any success.

After I disabled the Arc Control's MIDI Inputs in Logic, the Problem was solved. The Audio Waveform Preview during Audio recording now works as usual.

Thanks for your help, everybody. This Forum solved the Problem for me.

http://schachttoene.de/Kundenbereich/Transfer/Logic_Midi_In.png