Topic: Fireface UC not detected (Ventura 13.4.1, not with 328B, nor DK 408)

I feel like I've tried everything.

M1 and Intel computers.

Rebooted in Recovery Mode, launched Terminal, did the "kmutil trigger-panic-medic" thing, reinstalled both drivers.  Nothing. 

Neither the Fireface USB Settings app nor the RME USB Series Flash Tool apps will even open.

Totalmix will open, but no windows will open, not even new ones.

The red Host LED does goes off once I connect it to a computer.

I've tried every USB cable we own.  I've tried every USB port.  I've tried various power supplies - even a battery - nothing helps.

Everything else seems to work on the UC: Phantom power, the switch, the display, etc..

Could it be dead inside?

Any help much appreciated!

Re: Fireface UC not detected (Ventura 13.4.1, not with 328B, nor DK 408)

The UC has separate firmware / working modes for Mac and for Windows PC. Maybe it’s set to PC?

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

First Set it to 'AP' mode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS5-_kp … VmZg%3D%3D

Connect the UC direct to your Mac.

Check if you see the Fireface UC in System Report in "about this Mac" under USB.

Install the driver DK 4.08 and allow "RME GmbH" in the privacy and security settings.

Regards,
Audio AG Support

4 (edited by ScottLeMagicien 2023-07-11 12:39:52)

I guess I didn't try everything...  Like reading the manual.  But I could have sworn it was set for AP(ple)...  Oh well.  Thanks for this tip!!

So now I can launch the RME USB Series Flash Tool app and it shows me the Fireface UC, its serial number and the Current Version (126) and New Revision (127), but when I click on Update, nothing happens.  (Well, the Fireface UC and its serial number blink off and on quickly, but that's it.)

In the Fireface USB Settings app (Version 4) it says: Firmware: v126 and Driver: v4.08.

RME USB Series Flash Tool Version: 2.67 (1)

Any ideas?

5 (edited by ScottLeMagicien 2023-07-11 12:50:16)

When I try to open a workspace, I get an error message: 

Mismatch detected - Workspace File contains no data for connected Device(s).

And if I open an Offline Device window in Totalmix, it says this Fireface is disconnected.

cold reboot for both mac and ucx?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

7 (edited by oli77sch 2023-07-11 13:59:48)

ScottLeMagicien wrote:

When I try to open a workspace, I get an error message: 

Mismatch detected - Workspace File contains no data for connected Device(s).

As far I know it wouldn’t work to use a workspace file which was created/saved for another interface model.
Concerning the firmware update issue, there is an important information on the RME site:

Attention: Fireface UFX / UCX / UC / 802 and Babyface requires a firmware update to at least version UFX: 361, UCX: 49, UC: 127, 802 : 17 (111), Babyface: 226 to enable the use of this DriverKit driver.

The firmware update runs on all versions of M1/M2. But as it needs the driver, and the driver is not working as long as the device firmware has not been updated, it is necessary to first update the firmware of these interfaces using the former kernel extension driver! An update of the firmware can be performed on both Windows or Mac computers, older computers (e.g. your previous computer) are also compatible.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2