Topic: Connecting Fireface 802 FS to Hifi Power Amp

Hi, need some help here. I'd like to connect to my hifi power amp (Moon Sim Audio 330A) to my new Fireface 802 FS via a balanced TRS to XLR cable. Power amp has XLR inputs and shows an input sensitivity of 800mV RMS and an input impedance of 47500Ω.

Looking in TotalMix FX I have three options for the output - Hi Gain, +4 dBu, or -10 dBV. Which do I choose?

I suspect it's -10 dBV given consumer/hifi power amp.

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Connecting Fireface 802 FS to Hifi Power Amp

Guessing -10, but I don't think it matters. If +4 is overloading the input of the amp, then try -10 or turn the volume to the amp down when at +4. Listen and trust your ears. You might just find hitting the front of your amp a little hot sounds better to your ears. If that sounds harsh, try -10. It's not like you are going to blow up your amp either way.

-10 dBV works perfectly.

4 (edited by ramses 2023-07-15 09:22:17)

agotheridge wrote:

Guessing -10, but I don't think it matters. If +4 is overloading the input of the amp, then try -10 or turn the volume to the amp down when at +4. Listen and trust your ears. You might just find hitting the front of your amp a little hot sounds better to your ears. If that sounds harsh, try -10. It's not like you are going to blow up your amp either way.

For our ears louder sounds always better, therefore the loudness war in the music industry.

So don't forget to compare the different reference levels at the same final listening level.

The difference between -10 dBV consumer level and +4 dBu studio level is 7,78 dBu.

At +4 dB studio level, you would need to reduce the volume at the amp by around 8 dB (rounded).

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/Rechner-db-volt.htm

It's surely difficult to compare quickly between those two levels.

I would request the specs of the analogue inputs from the manufacturer, or maybe even ask them whether +4 dBu is fine.
To work according to the specs might be easier to do.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13