Topic: Fireface 800 MIDI connection lost when updating

HI:

I lost my Fireface 800 MIDI connection capabilities when updating to FireWire Driver for Windows XP Driver version 3.118.

I used the Flash Update Tool 2.77 for Windows Windows XP/Vista/7 32/64 Bit a while back, but i skipped updating TotalMix at that time. Everything was working fine for months until I did the Driver 3.118 install.

I am using Cubase 6.0 .... the RME Fireface MIDI in and out selections no longer show up as an option. The Window default driver is left as my only choice.

Am I missing a necessary system setting to make it available to Cubase?

Are there any steps I can take to roll TotalMix back to its previous state if push comes to shove?

Thank You for any assistance
Rick

Re: Fireface 800 MIDI connection lost when updating

Did you try latest Totalmix version ?
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/tota … in_183.zip

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Hi waedi:

Thanks for the quick reply.

The TotalMix included in the version I updated to in Driver 3.118 is TotalMix FX 1.31.

Is the link you sent a later version? And if so is it compatible with Widows XP?

Rick

4 (edited by waedi 2023-09-01 03:37:02)

It is the latest version provided from the official Totalmix thread in this forum.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 72#p202472
It should work on all Windows versions.
Nothing to lose, give it a try.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

5 (edited by rickmcg777 2023-09-01 06:58:26)

Hi waedi:

I copied the TotalMixFX.exe you sent into the Windows\System32 folder as per the installation instructions in the forum link:

INSTRUCTIONS:
Windows: Exit TotalMix FX and copy the new version into Windows\System32, overwriting the old file.

After powering down and restarting my computer TotalMix did not show up.

I deleted the new update and copied the previous working version back into the System32 folder and relaunched the computer ... that version showed up and was operational. Still no MIDI in Cubase 6.

I tried double clicking on the .exe file you sent and got this message:

TotalMix.exe is not a valid Win32 application. (maybe this true for anyone trying to install on an old WindowsXP system.)

Have any other ideas?

Thanks again for your help
Rick

Hi waedi:

For the hell of it I rolled the FF800 driver back to my old last version before updating to the most current version.

Driver Date: 15.01.10
Driver Version> 2.9992
Hardware Revision: 2.77

The RME MIDI connections all returned as CUBASE 6 pull-downs in the setup menu and operated as expected.

When I rolled the driver back the older version of TotalMix returned as well (the new TotalMix was still visible but did not launch when selected)

I am going to re-install the most current Driver update tomorrow when my mind is refreshed and see if some magic re-alignment of the universe occurred while I was asleep.

If you have any further insights or options I am still very very interested ... as I would very much prefer to be running the most current set-up possible.

PEACE
Rick

The current TM FX does not run on 32 bit OS. We have plans to use an old compiler to provide the latest version as 'legacy' one that can be used under XP then. TM FX v1.85 is supposed to be available that way.

The MIDI issue might be XP at its best:
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/old/english … entrye.htm

If it's the driver itself then you are out of luck, we don't test and compile drivers for XP anymore.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by rickmcg777 2023-09-01 21:07:09)

please note: WindowsXP 32bit correction as opposed to WindowsNT 32bit Driver request

Hi MC:

I went to the list of Driver Updates Fireface 400 / 800 ...

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/en/download … rewire.php

It jumps from Version 1.801 to Version 1.90 ... I don't see a link or a list update for TM FX v1.85.

As stated in my previous post I was able to to a rollback the driver and got it to recognize MIDI ... for some reason it has an older Driver interface than the one i had running before attempting this recent update. It also installed an old working version of TotalMix.

Here is the info from its about screen:

Driver Version> 2.9992

I am more interested in the best Driver for my old 32bit computer. I very rarely open up TotalMix so I am not really interested in all of its new bells and whistles.

Can you point me to a link of the best possible stable Driver for WindowsXP 32bit system running Cubase 6.0?

Thanks
Rick

9 (edited by oli77sch 2023-09-01 21:38:02)

rickmcg777 wrote:

It jumps from Version 1.801 to Version 1.90 ... I don't see a link or a list update for TM FX v1.85.

In the list you see the driver versions, not TotalMix! These are different pieces of software and for this there are different version numbers.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Hi: oli77sch

I realize that the driver and TotalMix seem to be delivered as a package deal, but a 32bit compatible Driver is more important to me than the version of TotalMix.

Can you point me to a link of the best possible stable ---DRIVER version---
for WindowsXP 32bit system running Cubase 6.0?  With or without TM FX v1.85.

PEACE
Rick

Hi MC:

>>>>>The current TM FX does not run on 32 bit OS. We have plans to use an old compiler to provide the latest version as 'legacy' one that can be used under XP then. TM FX v1.85 is supposed to be available that way.<<<<<<<

This confuses me, when you go to
https://www.rme-usa.com/downloads.html
and chose Fireface800 / Windows / Driver from the pull-downs menus you get the following choice.

----------------------------------------------
Last Windows XP SP2 PnP driver for Fireface Series
2017-07-22
driver_fw_winxp_3118.zip

Last Windows XP SP2 PnP driver Version 3.118.
Supported products
Fireface 400, Fireface 800, Fireface 802, Fireface UCX, Fireface UFX

--------------------------------------------------
The readme.txt makes no mention of having issue with 32bit WindowsXp, am I missing something here?

When do you expect that updated version using a legacy compiler?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

>>>>>The MIDI issue might be XP at its best:
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/old/english … entrye.htm<<<<<<<

This all feels a bit above my head and a bit like me poking around in the registry editor might be inviting a situation of things going from bad to worse.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

>>>>>>If it's the driver itself then you are out of luck, we don't test and compile drivers for XP anymore.<<<<<<<

I was able to roll back the driver and get MIDI to work again .... the Driver info is below.

Driver Version> 2.9992

I am willing to roll the dice re-updating my rolled-back driver if you have some confidence i might have some success doing so with your choice of a driver updater.

My interest lays with a stable Driver. Even tho it is part of the driver package I very seldom open TotalMix so an older version of it is no problem as long as it works with a 32bit system.

Do you have a link to the last known stable working update for a 32bit WindowsXp running Cubase 6.0? 

Thanks again for your attention.
Rick

MC wrote:

The current TM FX does not run on 32 bit OS. We have plans to use an old compiler to provide the latest version as 'legacy' one that can be used under XP then. TM FX v1.85 is supposed to be available that way.

And it is, as so called Legacy Build:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 17#p206717

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias Carstens:

I'm about to jump back into trying to update to the latest Driver/TotalMix for my Fireface800 running Cubase6 on a WindowsXP (32bit) system.

Here is my plan of attack:

1) Update to ---> Last Windows XP SP2 PnP driver Version 3.118.

2) Replace TotalMix to ---> version 1.85LB using Windows LB: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/tmfx_win_185lb.zip.

Correct me if I am wrong .. the "1.85LB" version is the one I should be using for (32bit) WindowsXP, not the earlier "1.85" version?

3) If the MIDI issue persist I will try the remedy you suggested. ---> https://archiv.rme-audio.de/old/english … entrye.htm

Thanks again
for all your assistance

Rick

What prevents you from first checking in the registry that you have that many entries at all? So you know this is possibly the culprit?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

15 (edited by rickmcg777 2023-09-23 05:17:21)

Hi Matthias Carstens:

After having Driver version 3.118 not work after replacing TotalMix with the "1.85" version I rolled everything back. For some reason it defaulted to V 2.9992 (Driver Date: 15.01.10) which seemed to work fine but when I went to open an 96khz file there was no option to open it in this early version so I updated to V 3.034.

I am currently running V 3.034 (12/17/2010) for the last couple of days and the MIDI works fine so far.

I actually had gone into the registry following the instructions from ---> https://archiv.rme-audio.de/old/english … entrye.htm <--- to have a peek around.

While I was in there instead of deleting any of the "midi#" files I added an"X" at the beginning of some of the files "Xmidi#" in case I wanted to re-instate them. Everything seems to continue to work fine.

I am now confident to change things in the registry if need be.

After reviewing all of the post with a clearer head I noticed the one thing I had not tried was replacing TotalMix with the "TotalMix 1.85LB" version. I wanted to be sure that this was the version I should be using after updating to Driver version 3.118 again.

NOTE: I had not done any changes to the MIDI registry files after initially installing Driver version 3.118. So I don't know if I had if that version of TotalMix would have worked if I had.

Thx
Rick