Topic: Fireface UFX / Please tell me when it was built

Hi,

I have the opportunity to buy a Fireface UFX.

Its SN is 23107867.

Could someone please tell me when it was built ?

Thank you.

2 (edited by ramses 2023-09-15 15:11:41)

Re: Fireface UFX / Please tell me when it was built

UFX was sold between 2010 and 2016. Accordingly, used equipment is about 7 to 13 years old.

If the devices have been running for such a long time, then they will most likely run for a while longer.

In my opinion, the purchase decision then depends more on the general condition than on the exact age.

[Similar to my two vintage Lexicon PCM 81 and 91, which can theoretically be up to 25 years old and still run.
I was just happy to get the two in good optical and functional condition as far as display and pots are concerned.]

If you should need a new power supply, the pure hardware costs are within reasonable limits (€96), see
https://www.rme-shop.com/acatalog/RME-NTRME4_PSU.html

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses, thx for your reply and the link to the rme-shop. Meanwhile I got another offer for another device which is not as old and in better condition, so I bought it. You are definitely right about the general condition of the gear. As a sidenote I have an old Layla 3G interface here which I bought about 20 years ago and it runs perfectly smooth.

Thank you for the kind feedback and I keep my fingers crossed that everything works out well.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

If the devices have been running for such a long time, then they will most likely run for a while longer.

What would determine their lifespan, actually?

Generally, if things run for long time, they may run long time on. If there is something wrong, it shows up within months to few years....

Of course, nothing lives forever. The most prone elements are probably condensers. But it depends on type used. Some, those more expensive, have good lifespan.

I have 20 years old Eventide Eclipse and it works just fine....