Topic: MADI USB / MADI USB compatibility?

Hi, I have a quick question:

Will two MADI USB interfaces work together alright? I think in totalmix I will have to choose between either interface. But what about my DAW (FL Studio), will it show all channels?

And what about a MADI USB and a Raydat?

How is it with a Raydat PCIe together with a MADI HDSPe FX?

Thank you!

2 (edited by ramses 2023-03-19 18:43:07)

Re: MADI USB / MADI USB compatibility?

dgstr wrote:

Hi, I have a quick question:

1- Will two MADI USB interfaces work together alright?
2- I think in totalmix I will have to choose between either interface.
3- But what about my DAW (FL Studio), will it show all channels?
4- And what about a MADI USB and a Raydat?
5- How is it with a Raydat PCIe together with a MADI HDSPe FX?

Thank you!

To 1: Windows: yes, if they use the same driver. DAW (applications in general) can only load one ASIO driver at a time.
         Use the same type of rec interface to get no track offset (avoid converter differences or completely different setup)
To 2: yes, one TM FX instance per interface, routing over DAW with full RTL over USB
To 3: yes
To 4: these cards have two different ASIO drivers, not so ideal for explained reasons, see #1
To 5: only the driver for the HDSPe MADI FX has resource optimization as a feature because of the high number of ports.
         Driver for HDSPe MADI FX allocates driver resources only for the used channels in groups of 8 ports.
        So if one port is being used, then it allocates resources for all 8 ports (but not for all ch) which can be a big difference.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by dgstr 2023-09-22 11:01:05)

Re: MADI USB / MADI USB compatibility?

To 1: Windows: yes, if they use the same driver. DAW (applications in general) can only load one ASIO driver at a time.
         Use the same type of rec interface to get no track offset (avoid converter differences or completely different setup)
To 2: yes, one TM FX instance per interface, routing over DAW with full RTL over USB
To 3: yes
To 4: these cards have two different ASIO drivers, not so ideal for explained reasons, see #1
To 5: only the driver for the HDSPe MADI FX has resource optimization as a feature because of the high number of ports.
         Driver for HDSPe MADI FX allocates driver resources only for the used channels in groups of 8 ports.
        So if one port is being used, then it allocates resources for all 8 ports (but not for all ch) which can be a big difference.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply!

So would the best solution be to have 2 MADI HDSPe? (btw I am planning to use 3 Euphonix 713 A/D converters with each 24 or 32 inputs and 2 Euphonix 703 with also 24 or 32 outs each. I guess I would have to use 1 coaxial and 1 optical MADI input of one card, and 1 coaxial input of the other, plus each of the two coaxial MADI outputs of the other card).