Topic: 9632, guitar recording and level problems

Hello guys

I have the 9632 card for gigastudio and recording purposes and I route my onboard soundcard into it via SPDIF so I can play games, dvd movies and real time midi synth files.

Anyway I have a thing called a tonelab its basically a direct recording device, I have this plugged into the line in on the RME and its too quiet. I have set the inout level to -10Dbv and boosted the input up to 6.0. The SPDIF in is at 0.0 and my output for my monitors is -30 if I boost the tonelab on the box itself it will clip on the inputs "OVR OVR". In the windows setting the onbaord sound card is set to 3/4 volume on all the levels.

When I record the guitar directly also it comes out much quieter than it sounds when I actually play it, this is all very confusing and I have no idea how to set these levels.

Totalmix really confuses me with its use of submixes and playback can anyone help me out here as this has been a problem for a long time but Ive never been able to resolve it myself.

Cheers

Re: 9632, guitar recording and level problems

Is there a Preamp on that tonelab?

Hello

The tonelab is a preamp, it emulates amps and effects like the line 6 POD.

Can anyone help, this is really frustrating. There must be someone else out there who does direct guitar recordings also?

5 (edited by maxstillderelict 2007-06-29 15:45:37)

Hello (I've rewritten this post)

I have the 9632 and Tonelab. A great combination! You can hook it up with its digital or analog outputs but dig is easiest and quality is fine. If you have not already done so, download and install the tonelab patch library, midi-control software and hook up midi in and out to the 9632. It is much easier to control tonelab with the mouse when working with a DAW at the same time.

Under settings check that the tonelab spdif output level is 0db (or u can set this on the box itself - don't have it with me to check where), attach an optical cable and set the 9632's ADAT input to spdif optical in on the HDSP control panel.

You should clock the card (enable autosync) with the tonelab (44.1kHz only) but it also works fine with card set as master.

As for analogue: when I first got the tonelab I assumed the TRS line outs would produce better results than spdif but honestly I cannot tell the difference.

If you have the stock unbalanced HDSP breakout cable, route the tonelab L and R outs to a pair of TS/RCA adapters, and try the different input levels on the HDSP control panel, starting with +4db. But I don't recommend this, should be a balanced connection. It's better to hook up the tonelab L+R to balanced inputs on an analog expansion board (eg AEB4-1 or AIS192), or to a standalone converter. This is how I record a Pod that has no dig out.

Are you sure the analog output level (small dial next to TRS outs, easy to miss) on the tonelab is turned up? Halfway should be fine. Then of course tonelab has 3-stage gain (preamp, power amp, fader).

Lastly, check signal routings in totalmix, if you are new to it start by clicking thru the presets and RTM if problems. Remember by default the first eight channels are ADAT, 9/10 spdif, 11/12 analog...

Tonelab quality rating: a silky g.benson sound like no other sim I've heard, and good for jazz and blues in general, unlike most other boxes and plugins I know. (excluding Waves GTR, the vid ad on CM disk sounds promising). Not the best distortion but definitely the least synthetic tone. A wiry Fender Twin, rich Plexi, bright, jangletastic AC30TB, Pod may have a better Mesa boogie. And very usable chorus and octaver....

Of course a sim is a sim, the results can also be fizzy, thin or harsh, with a weak bottom end. Tweaking obligatory, dont bother with the presets except "police" to start out!

PS If this sounds like an ad, it's not, I've struggled for two years with guitars and computers, BASIC AMP TONE is the biggest problem and no software or hardware really does the job. Freeware Simulanalog is as good as GRig, if not better. The Tonelab uses Korg's std REMS modelling, which is not bad, but I suspect the starved plate 12AX7 helps out.

good luck

6 (edited by 01Kuzma 2011-10-28 13:20:11)

Hi!
I have the same problems as the topic caster. (My card is RME HDSP 9632)
I tried to record guitar signal from AMP head (Record out), from foot pedals (working as preamps) and just clean guitar. The sound signal source is connected to Line-in and I receive very weak signal. Changing it to +4db,  -10dbV doesn't make any sense. I was told by another 9632 user that he recorded his guitar only through the distortion pedal and his signal was very strong. (I also tried this and the result was the same as my first test) So am I missing something in device configuration?
Please help me smile

7 (edited by 01Kuzma 2011-10-29 20:51:17)

Update:
just tested the card in another computer with WinXP (mines has Win7 x64) and everything works fine...
So I'm frustrated and don't know what suppresses the sound level sad

Hey guys, if you won't help me - nobody will do it...
I really need help in this problem...

With newest drivers(2011) I've measured input signal through HDSP mixer with this chain: Guitar -> distortion pedal -> sound card. The results:
1). With Input level Lo gain: -33
2). With +4dBu: -29
3). With +10DbV: -18

With elder drivers(2010 y. version 3.0.8.5) results differs!! Only difference is in pedal, here I used delay pedal.
1). -30
2). -25
3). -16

This looks more like the measurement is set differently (RMS vs. Peak or the RMS +3 option).

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Maybe you are right.
But could you tell me something about line-in, why the input signal doesn't reach the appropriate level ? Could it be Win7 issue or drivers behaviour under this OS?
And do you plan to release updated drivers for 9632 (maybe they will fix my problem) ?
Thank you!