1 (edited by bc 2010-01-01 01:57:16)

Topic: RME conflicts with ATI Radeon 4850's high definition audio device

Hi,

i'm a proud owner of the Hammerfall DSP Multiface PCI rev 1.8 (one of the oldest if i'm not mistaken) 8*8 IO and am having major issues with a conflict with a component my ATI graphic card seems to install on my system. the component is a high definition audio device and it is blocking all audio in my system. the only way to get the audio back is to remove my ATI graphic driver which renders my whole system unusable.
The ATI driver is what they claim a Display Driver Only. however it forces installation of this virtual audio device and there is no way during installation to NOT install it.

Note on background. This is a new WinXP installation. the whole (and exact) system worked absolutely fine before i reinstalled it. the only difference is this:
On my previous Win installation i started with an Nvidia GPU which died after a while and so i moved over to ATI. installed it and i've never even once had any issues with my audio or RME. i'm only assuming this time 'round i've installed the ATI driver BEFORE i did the RME's and so created a problem where the ATI's audio device got priority over the RME. this is just my own guess nothing solid.

I'm a musician and need my audio back badly. any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks,
BC

2 (edited by bc 2010-01-01 01:59:11)

Re: RME conflicts with ATI Radeon 4850's high definition audio device

Update..

I've now removed my ATI driver altogether and now my RME installs showing and running. now the situation is it's simply not producing any audio.
there are no system sounds. the audio high def device is disabled and uninstalled from the system and is not showing up in device manager.
However, The properties of my RME says State: Driver enabled but not functioning properly.
I've gone through the entire manual twice. checked the registry and this is not a "10 Entry Limit" case. there are about 5 entries in the reg.
Installed the latest RME drivers and FUT. should i try rolling back i'm not even sure how to.

I understand this is the holiday season and that people are most probably out for new year's and all. so all best wishes and have a very happy new year everybody.

Thanks,
BC

what driver did you use?

i wrote i'm using all latest drivers.
anyway, i was able to fix the problem. still don't know how but i kept installing the RME until it worked.
strange thing,,,...computers.:-)

Thanks.
BC