Topic: Connecting unbalanced gear and FF800 in a balanced patchbay

Hi,

I?ve read the FF800 manual and am a little confused about how I should set up my patchbay. I have a Studer 089 console with unbalanced direct outs which I want to connect to the same balanced patchbay as my FF800. What would be the best way to do this? I read that the inputs on my FF800 are "servo balanced" and handles unbalanced/balanced correctly.

Since I need to use the inputs on my FF800 in a balanced configuration from time to time, the easiest way would be to use balanced cables from FF800 to the patchbay - if it makes sense from a technical perspective. Will it work if I use unbalanced cabling from my Studer 089 to the patchbay and an unbalanced patch cable? The signal flow would the be like this:

Studer 089 (Unbalanced) -> Unbalanced cable -> Patchbay (TRS) -> Unbalanced cable -> Patchbay (TRS) -> Balanced cable -> FF800 (Servo balanced input)

Or do I end up with signal loss and reduced S/N ratio? Any other opinions on how to hook FF800 up with unbalanced gear through a patchbay?

Re: Connecting unbalanced gear and FF800 in a balanced patchbay

Hi,

maybe I'm wrong here but to me it sounds better to go
from unbalanced to balanced and keep it there if possible
but if it is very short cables it maybe doesn't really matter !?

regards S-EH

Johs wrote:

Hi,

I?ve read the FF800 manual and am a little confused about how I should set up my patchbay. I have a Studer 089 console with unbalanced direct outs which I want to connect to the same balanced patchbay as my FF800. What would be the best way to do this? I read that the inputs on my FF800 are "servo balanced" and handles unbalanced/balanced correctly.

Since I need to use the inputs on my FF800 in a balanced configuration from time to time, the easiest way would be to use balanced cables from FF800 to the patchbay - if it makes sense from a technical perspective. Will it work if I use unbalanced cabling from my Studer 089 to the patchbay and an unbalanced patch cable? The signal flow would the be like this:

Studer 089 (Unbalanced) -> Unbalanced cable -> Patchbay (TRS) -> Unbalanced cable -> Patchbay (TRS) -> Balanced cable -> FF800 (Servo balanced input)

Or do I end up with signal loss and reduced S/N ratio? Any other opinions on how to hook FF800 up with unbalanced gear through a patchbay?

Hey there,

I believe that RME devices will automatically compensate for unbalanced connections.

Easiest way to test is to send a test tone out 2 channels. loop one back in using a balanced lead and one using an unbalanced lead (jacks in your case). Use totalmix to route and check your incoming levels

Isaac.

isaac wrote:
Johs wrote:

Hi,

Hey there,

I believe that RME devices will automatically compensate for unbalanced connections.

Easiest way to test is to send a test tone out 2 channels. loop one back in using a balanced lead and one using an unbalanced lead (jacks in your case). Use totalmix to route and check your incoming levels

Isaac.

Hey Johs,

just done this test on my multiface. 1K test tone at 0Db out 2 channels. One balanced, other unbalanced. I have 0.49Db difference in the returning signals. I would assume that any newer models from RME would be the same if not better!

The only unknown I see is how your balanced patch bay deals with unbalanced signals. I would assume fine! :-)

Hope this helps,

Isaac.

isaac wrote:

Isaac.

Great Idea! Why didn?t I come up with that! :-) Thanks a lot, mate!

Johs wrote:
isaac wrote:

Isaac.

Great Idea! Why didn?t I come up with that! :-) Thanks a lot, mate!

All good! I often find that after staring at a problem for a while, all that's needed is a fresh perspective!

Plus I wanted to check it for myself!

Happy recording,
Isaac