Re: New Mac driver for FF UC including error state detection

Any News on this Problem? New Drivers? I hope OSX 10.6.5 will solve the Problem or else I gotta get myself the new MacBook Pro.

We are always working on and improving the driver. If this specific problem is solved I can not say as we simply don't have it on our machines. If you want to give the latest 1.43 a try then download it from the USB series Babyface. Note that you will change to the new TotalMix FX when using this driver.

I also heard that the next OS will have some improvements on USB, so maybe...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Macrumors wrote:

Mac OS X 10.6.5 Build 10H531 Seeded to Developers
Whereas the previous version carried no documented known issues, Build 10H531 exhibits one known issue involving USB devices not operating properly after waking from sleep on machines with VMware's virtualization products installed. Focus areas for the latest build are said to include iCal, Mail, USB Devices, 3D Graphics, QuickTime, and Time Machine.

AH... cool. So there is hope smile

I've been using the 1.44 babyface driver and my ffuc seems to run smoothly. I tried all kinds of scenarios where it crapped out on me before and had no issues. This is just for today. I will post again in the next days about whether it stays stable or not. Thanks for the tip about the new driver Matthias!

New OS X notes also include Parallels now.

This doesn't seem to be limited to the fireface uc/usb only. I am running the fireface 400 on the latest osx, last week i installed vmware for testing and i also got audio distortions and drop outs which were not the case before.

so hands off virtualisation software on osx when doing serious music stuff at the moment, don't know if further driver or operating system updates might bring some help here. i deinstalled vmware properly with the deinstaller to get rid of all kernel extensions and banned it again from my system, just doing some tests, but the audio distortions seem to be gone now again.

greetings urknall

Mac Pro Early 2008 2,8 Octo 10 GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4, FF 400 (v3.08 / 1.71)

Never had problems with the FF400 and Parallels, only with the UC. Does Fusion now access the FW port (make it available inside the VM)?

I wasn't even running vmware fusion when the problems occurs. Maybe this is a different problem, having to do with the new fireface 400 driver...

I just had the distortion again after i deinstalled vmware, i will have to do first some further tests...

No need to run VMWare or Parallels to get into troubles. They hook into the respective system-drivers (or maybe even replace them?) in order to catch hardware being plugged in and allow you to chose wether you want to use it inside the Vm or for OS X.

That being said neither VMWare Fusion nor Parallels support Firewire for VMs so it's strange.

111 (edited by urknall 2010-09-06 18:06:21)

As i said, maybe its something different...

I try a clean install on another drive and check out some things on it.

Edit, just plugged on an external firewire 800 hd to backup some data, that sounded no good wink
Audio distortion and crackling, i guess that isn't also normal, maybe that is still ff driver related...

I was too early with my conclusion that the 1.44 driver fixes the issue... still experiencing the same problems. I had parallels installed and than removed it and reinstalled osx. Is there a way to tell whether Parallels is still affecting the USB driver? I assume it shouldnt because I reinstalled the OS. Any tips? Thanks.
@Timur: Did you get it to work properly on a mac without any virtualisation software installed?

I always intended to test it with a freshly formated Snow Leopard installation, but didn't find time yet. Frankly I have not been using OS X for anything but some tests for several months because I'm still in (maybe soon to become legal) troubles with Apple and the shop who sold me the original Macbook.

It's just no fun to install gigabytes of software with dozens of activations when you know you want to keep this particular computer.

I too am experiencing the similar crackling, garbled audio problem with my Fireface UC (when I unplug it, sleep the computer, power the Fireface UC off, power the Fireface UC back on, then replug it in).  I do have VMWare Fusion installed.

I just upgraded to OSX 10.6.5, firmware 112 and driver 1.48 and the problem is still happening.  It seems like something that should be fixable being that I have a NI Audio 8 DJ interface that works completely fine under the exact same scenario.

BTW, 10.6.5 mentions nothing of a VMware USB sleep fix: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4250 (or am I missing something here)

116 (edited by oblique strategies 2010-11-18 00:07:08)

The USB stability improvement previously mentioned in the OS X 10.6.5 build releases is not listed in the details. Maybe further details will made available regarding possible USB improvements.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4250

Yes, I noticed. But most likely Apple just did not bother to publish a full (and possibly confusing to the average Joe) change-list.

Have you upgraded to OS X 10.6.5 Timur?

Not yet, since I am waiting for a new 2010 MBP to arrive I don't want to invest too much time/effort into this 2009 one. The OS X side of things has been laying dormant for a full year now because of my ongoing struggle with the ExpressCard slot.

I've also been waiting for a new test-build of Parallels Desktop to do a clean installation. But seems that the optimization features I've been waiting for will only make it into PD7 and I did not get a free version this time (and won't pay for what I consider a minor upgrade only).

But here is a quote from Gearslutz that's worth mentioning:

It's probably not a good idea to update just yet if you're using a USB interface.
Avid/M-Audio's support site isn't working at the moment so I can't link to the document, but both Avid and Steinberg have announced that USB-interfaces seems to be affected in a negative way.

If I find time I may do some quick tests with the UC and 10.6.5 (Parallels Desktop being installed). Cannot promise anything though.

120 (edited by oblique strategies 2010-11-18 13:04:37)

Timur wrote:

But here is a quote from Gearslutz that's worth mentioning:

It's probably not a good idea to update just yet if you're using a USB interface.
Avid/M-Audio's support site isn't working at the moment so I can't link to the document, but both Avid and Steinberg have announced that USB-interfaces seems to be affected in a negative way.

Yes, I saw a similar report online regarding OS X 10.6.5. Until I have more information on this I will
remain at 10.6.4. I will be monitoring this closely for further developments.

121 (edited by ton 2010-11-24 07:31:44)

small update on my experience:

So 10.6.5 didn't bring any change in terms of better usb performance with the uc. At least not on my system (2009 mbp 13" 2,53 Ghz.)
The only option left for me is either getting a 2010 model or reinstalling my system from scratch (if that helps i don't know...). Until then I'm quite happy with the ff400 - allthough the UC definitely has a lot a of advantages (lower latency, new totalmix which is realy nice) besides the BIG disadvantage of not running reliably on my system...