Topic: Digi96/8pst driver partial WDM support?

Hi,

I recently upgraded from XP pro to WIN7.
After having trouble taming windows to let me install the driver for my DIGI96/8 i've managed to make it work in ASIO software.(although i noticed glitches in the sound now and then, but this might be WIN7 related)

I've read in another topic that under WIN7 32bit the card only works with ASIO and that there is no WDM support BUT, when i disable my onboard soundcard (so that there is no default device selected in windows sound panel) I hear windows system sound playing through my Speakers! (who are exclusively connected to the 96/8)
I also hear sound playing through Firefox! (e.g. Youtube)
Firefox doesnt handle sound, it let's the applications/plug-ins do the work of connecting to the OS for sound.
Now i don't know how e.g. flash player chooses it's connection, but i doubt it's through ASIO?

No doubt there are more than one sound module layers in the OS, does the DIGI96/8 automatically connect to a sublayer of windows sound?
Am i wrong to assume that it is possible to somehow connect to the windows audio services?

For example , I've found that there is no entry in the registry for the DIGI96 under the "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Render\" key
This key contains all the other devices that are listed in my "sound,video and game-controllers" list in the windows device manager, except for the DIGI.

Could adding this entry for the DIGI add it to the sound panel, so it can be selected to be functional as the default windows device?
Or are there underlying complications i fail to notice?

I understand that support for this discontinued product is limited. The reason I'm digging into this is because i cannot afford an RME upgrade for now, also simply because I like a challenge smile
I'd just like to understand to what the card connects so it's able to play system & browser sound. Maybe the registry can be hacked to make the card more/fully supported?
Or would the DIGI hardware/firmware make that impossible?

Thanks,

Re: Digi96/8pst driver partial WDM support?

Interesting, I will try this. I have DIGI96/8 PST here and Windows 7. Will disable the onboard audio and see if I get the same behaviour here.

I confirm that this is working! Tested only on youtube, so far. Youtube volume control works. Will test media player and system sounds now.

4 (edited by Alexandre 2009-12-14 17:14:14)

I haven?t been able to hear system sounds or windows media player. It complains no devices. Windows 7 audio control panel doesn?t show any device available.

Then I opened J.River media player, which I was using with ASIO output, and tried the other output methods. The method that is working is WAVEOUT.

Summarizing, I guess any application that can use waveout method will work with DIGI96/8 under Windows 7, using driver w2k_211.

I tried it with VLC media player, connecting the SPDIF output of the DIGI96/8 with my Tannoy SPDIF Input.
It nearly crashed my monitors because the VLC volume control is not working.
VLC should work if a separate volume control is available.

Avoid digital volume control. You lose resolution of the audio.

7 (edited by TBA 2010-01-05 03:45:56)

Thanks for posting The KFO......

How did you get W7 to recognise and install the drivers?....Windows 7 won't find the driver on my computer even though they, the drivers are there.

My sound card is the Digi 96/8 pad but I think my prob and the solution is similar to yours......

I basically just need windows 7 to recognise the divers so I can Use the sound card for my synths.....REC

Your advice would be great !!

....I also have 2 sound cards installed, not sure how to disable the other non-rme sound card though....Device mngr?, sounds and audio devices ? not sure which one or process you mean?

Cheers,

Ben

Guys, This might explain why it works

I didn't have any problems installing w2k_211.zip (Digi96) to Windows 7, however, as I think "intended", no device in Windows Sound (Playback devices). In Device Manager it exists normally.

I have Digi96 on this computer because I use it for Winamp, YouTube, Spotify and need good sound quality (but in this case don't need ASIO functionality). Disabling other sound cards and having nothing in Playback devices indeed does magically enable Windows sound and YouTube (Flash) sound. However Spotify didn't work ("There is a problem with your sound card.").

Winamp2 recognizes DIGI96/8 PAD Out and volume works there. Also YouTube volume works. If I play on Winamp, that will reserve the whole Digi96 card and others will not be able to play sound while Winamp is playing. However, on YouTube I can play simultaneous clips at once and hear them all.

So basically my questions are: How to make Digi96 appear in Playback devices, and perhaps that would also solve the other question, how to make Spotify find the Digi96 output device?

So, I managed to get also Spotify working with Digi96 in Windows 7. Simplified instructions: Install Virtual Audio Cable (VAC, google it), restart(!). If Digi96 is the only sound card, then the sound Windows Sound / Playback devices will only have the Virtual Audio Cable playback device. And it's set to default. Now when you play music in Spotify, it will play to the VAC device. You can get that audible by using the "Audio Repeater" program provided with VAC. Just direct Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable) to DIGI96. Total buffer can be around 100ms and it still plays without stuttering.

This is definitely not an elegant way, but it works.