Topic: UC - Preferred Device for Playback

Hi, I understand that the UC should not be the preferred device for playback because it introduces a loss of synchronization and unwanted noise. 

If i use the UC for my preferred device of playback will there be any other harmful effects? 

I like to use it to play windows media player, foobar, DVD's etc.  As well as the common audo driver for my audio applications.   So, if I don't mind the unwanted noise and loss of synchronization is there any reason not to do this?

My second question, when my computer is turned off and i want to practice guitar or fire up my turntables, I turn onthe RME and plug them both into the inputs and use the RME as an amp only.  Could this have any longer term bad side effects?  As I understand that the RME UC was not made for these intentions.

Re: UC - Preferred Device for Playback

mjaquiery wrote:

If i use the UC for my preferred device of playback will there be any other harmful effects?

No...

I like to use it to play windows media player, foobar, DVD's etc.  As well as the common audo driver for my audio applications.   So, if I don't mind the unwanted noise and loss of synchronization is there any reason not to do this?

No. If at all, "loss of synchronization" could only affect external digital devices. If there aren't any, no such phenomenon will occur.

My second question, when my computer is turned off and i want to practice guitar or fire up my turntables, I turn onthe RME and plug them both into the inputs and use the RME as an amp only.  Could this have any longer term bad side effects?  As I understand that the RME UC was not made for these intentions.

The UC works perfectly well in standalone mode, there are no side effects...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Problem partly SOLVED

In VLC:
Tools -> Preferences (show all) -> Audio -> Wave out -> Fireface Analog 7+8 (or whatever you want)

I hope that will help some users.

All the Best,

Prophest

Cheers Guys!  Loving my new UC cool