1 (edited by RobC 2011-01-11 22:15:24)

Topic: FF800 BSOD on Power off

I have a Fireface 800 that was recently upgraded/serviced (about 3 weeks ago), running latest firmware and drivers.

On 3 occasions since then I have seen my system crash blue screen when I power off the FF800.  Hasn't happened every time, but I'm reluctant to test it too often.

As a result of that I have been avoiding doing so, since it loses all my application states, really a hassle.

BlueScreenViewer reports fireface_64.sys at or near the bottom of the stack in each case. It's always IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I checked the forum for tips and made sure I had the legacy firewire driver selected, it crashed again after making that change (and rebooting).
My system performance settings are configured to favor background services over applications.

I can't leave this unit on 24x7, or at least I'd certainly like to not have to. I only use it about an hour or two a day max.  Shutting down my system is not something I do very often, as I typically have many applications running and lots of browser windows/tabs open. An orderly shutdown is quite a project for me.

If the current thinking is that legacy 1394 drivers are the complete cure for this issue, I'm here to tell you that is not accurate. Perhaps part of the issue, but there is more.

Any other things I can do short of waiting for a new driver from RME? 
(which I fear is far in the future)

thanks for any info,

Rob

System info:
W7 Pro 64, 16 GB ram, TI firewire chipset,
Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5, AMD Phenom II 1100T

Re: FF800 BSOD on Power off

Have you tried to unload the FF with the "Safely remove hardware" option in the taskbar? This should avoid problems. That said, I would think it's unlikely to be a driver issue.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Re: FF800 BSOD on Power off

I didn't realize that was an option. I will start doing that. Tried it a few times just now, all went well.

Thanks for the tip.

That would be a good highlighted addition to the manual, couldn't find any mention of that topic just now.

thanks again,
Rob