Topic: ADI 648 - grey painted faceplate?

I recently purchased an ADI 648 demo from a retailer. It arrived today. Its faceplate is painted grey. the units I have seen advertized all have blue face plates. Is there any difference mechanically between these greyfaced units and the blueface units?

Thanks,

HDSPe MADI-FX, M-32 AD, M-32 DA, ADI-8 QS, ADI 192 DD, ADI 648, Mytek Stereo 96 AD/DA

Re: ADI 648 - grey painted faceplate?

Hi animix,

RME changed the front plate color from grey to blue a few years ago. In some cases there is no difference behind the plate (i.e. Digiface). But afak the 648 had a Hardware Revision too. Do you have a "MIDI IN"-Switch on the frontside between the "Clock"-Section and the Matrix?

Regards,
Claudio

clAUDIO wrote:

Hi animix,

RME changed the front plate color from grey to blue a few years ago. In some cases there is no difference behind the plate (i.e. Digiface). But afak the 648 had a Hardware Revision too. Do you have a "MIDI IN"-Switch on the frontside between the "Clock"-Section and the Matrix?

Regards,
Claudio

No Midi in switch on the front panel. The unit I have here looks exactly like the one pictured here.

http://www.compumusic.com/f1662x0.htm

Thanks for the reply,

HDSPe MADI-FX, M-32 AD, M-32 DA, ADI-8 QS, ADI 192 DD, ADI 648, Mytek Stereo 96 AD/DA

Ok. So you got the old one. I don not know details about the differences between the two versions. But I believe the main functions are working all the same.

You can get both manuals here and figure out which changes were made:
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/downloads_manuals.php#5

Regards,
Claudio

animix wrote:

I recently purchased an ADI 648 demo from a retailer. It arrived today. Its faceplate is painted grey. the units I have seen advertized all have blue face plates. Is there any difference mechanically between these greyfaced units and the blueface units?

Thanks,

Hey DJ,

From the current manual. This is what the blue face one with the ver 2.5 firmware have.

5.2 Firmware
The ADI-648's main part has been realized using programmable logic. By exchanging a little
component called EPROM, both function and behaviour of the unit can be changed at any time.
At the time of writing this manual, the unit is shipped with firmware 2.5. This firmware is not
compatible to older units, which do not have the REMOTE key. The firmware version is displayed
after power on by the AUDIO LEDs for about one second.
Since firmware version 2.5 not only ADAT input 8, but also the current Matrix configuration influences
the output mode. If MADI output group 8 is assigned to any input, the device generates
64 channel format. This is also true when MATRIX STATE is set to OFF. As this channel assignment
is factory default, all ADI-648 with firmware 2.5 will generate 64 channel mode as
default mode. To activate the 56 channel format for the MADI output, the MADI output group 8
has to be set to Mute, and no signal must be present at ADAT input 8.

Not sure if any of these features are important to what you are using it for or if there are any other differences not listed. Matthias or Stephan an probably answer that.

I'm assuming this was sold a B-Stock not as new?

Chris

Chris Ludwig | ADK Pro Audio
www.adkproaudio.com
https://www.facebook.com/adkmg

Hi DJ,

You can check the revision of the installed firmware EPROM by holding the INPUT and 96k FRAME buttons (first 2 buttons from the left) simultaneously. If #1 lights on the first section, and #8 lights on the second section, then your EPROM rev. is 1.8 - hope this info is some help.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

ChrisADK wrote:
animix wrote:

Thanks,

Hey DJ,

From the current manual. This is what the blue face one with the ver 2.5 firmware have.

5.2 Firmware
The ADI-648's main part has been realized using programmable logic. By exchanging a little
component called EPROM, both function and behaviour of the unit can be changed at any time.
At the time of writing this manual, the unit is shipped with firmware 2.5. This firmware is not
compatible to older units, which do not have the REMOTE key. The firmware version is displayed
after power on by the AUDIO LEDs for about one second.
Since firmware version 2.5 not only ADAT input 8, but also the current Matrix configuration influences
the output mode. If MADI output group 8 is assigned to any input, the device generates
64 channel format. This is also true when MATRIX STATE is set to OFF. As this channel assignment
is factory default, all ADI-648 with firmware 2.5 will generate 64 channel mode as
default mode. To activate the 56 channel format for the MADI output, the MADI output group 8
has to be set to Mute, and no signal must be present at ADAT input 8.

Not sure if any of these features are important to what you are using it for or if there are any other differences not listed. Matthias or Stephan an probably answer that.

I'm assuming this was sold a B-Stock not as new?

Chris

Thanks for the help Chris. Yes. It was represented as B stock. Any confusion related to this due to....uhhhh.....well.......you know me.
:-O

Jeff wrote:

Hi DJ,

You can check the revision of the installed firmware EPROM by holding the INPUT and 96k FRAME buttons (first 2 buttons from the left) simultaneously. If #1 lights on the first section, and #8 lights on the second section, then your EPROM rev. is 1.8 - hope this info is some help.

Appreciated Jeff. this unit has had the firmware upgrade. It just doesn't have the midi switch on the front.

Appreciated

clAUDIO wrote:

Ok. So you got the old one. I don not know details about the differences between the two versions. But I believe the main functions are working all the same.

You can get both manuals here and figure out which changes were made:
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/downloads_manuals.php#5

Regards,
Claudio

Your help is much appreciated. I'll be getting this interfaced with a MADI card/AES 32/BOB over the weekend. I've had a very stable setup using 3 x HDSP 9652's in a Magma so I'm hoping for the best. There is another thread here that has had me a bit concerned about the MADI/AES 32 combination (but not concerned enough for me not to try it) so it will be interesting to see how this all comes together. Though I'm fairly adept at configuring DAWs, the MADI system is new to me. Hopefully it will be as friendly to deal with as other RME products have been.

Thanks for your help
:-)