Topic: Fireface 400, TotalMix out 7+8

I do not understand TotalMix at all. I have 30 years experience with mixer hard- and software, but this one is beyond. I had the old Multiface (I) and could ignore it, but due to change to MacBook Pro(Intel) I had to get the firefeace 400, which unfortunately does not have 8 separate outs anymore.

After trying all buttons and whatever you can click on I found, when I click under Monitor Mains the phones button, it works. But that is absurd, I do not want to Monitor the Mains on out 7/8 (phones) I want the opposite. I am afraid next time I use it I have the same problem again.

How do I have to set-up the machine to simply get 8 single mono outputs. I do not need a monitormix, no headphones nothing, only 8 outs. And how can I bypass TotalMix. I have enough mixers in Softwares and external, I really don't need it. It is only confusing, it shows different things in mixer view then in Matrix. What is that?

Dear rme's, your hardware is perfect, please do something for simple minded people and change this TotalMix set-up or allow to dump it. Or make a version that only offers the matrix straight forward, that would be great.

Sorry for being negative.

HP

Re: Fireface 400, TotalMix out 7+8

Maybe I did not make it clear, I need help, to explain how to selsct outs 7+8 as mono outs rather then as headphone/monitor outs. Can anyone explain this to me? Thanks

In fact you have 8 mono outputs. Keep in mind that output 7/8 are coming from one socket (headphone out, doubles as perfect unbalanced line out) and you just have to  use an adapter stereo jack to two mono jacks. If you use a preset that passes the signals through 1:1 (I think preset 1?) you can even forget TotalMix.
Best regards
Hermann

Ullstein wrote:

How do I have to set-up the machine to simply get 8 single mono outputs. I do not need a monitormix, no headphones nothing, only 8 outs. And how can I bypass TotalMix. I have enough mixers in Softwares and external, I really don't need it. It is only confusing, it shows different things in mixer view then in Matrix. What is that?

Hi,
You can't bypass TotalMix, but since you are asking for something simple and without variations on the fly, once you will get the right custom preset, you will not have to really deal with TotalMix! Just keep in mind that 7+8 outs are unbalanced and get their own level settings from the FF Settings dialog.
An easy way to use TotalMix is the submix view, so if you enable the 4 options from the View section, you have the full way to route easily what you want from the top 2 rows to your 8 mono outputs found on the 3rd row. To be able to move your fader alone (mono) just hit "L" to disable link faders (available from options menu). The last think would be to select and focus from the third row on each pair of outs. That mean that anything from the top 2 rows can be route at different level to that outs having the focus.  Since that you want to route anything as mono out, it is the pan for each inputs (top 2 rows) which needs to be pan correctly to reach the appropriate out channel. Example, You want to route mic 2 input to output 7, so you focus from 3rd row on 7+8, you set the out 7's fader to 0.0db, you pan hard left the mic 2 input, because out 7 is left from 7+8 perspective, and you raise up the fader of mic 2 up to taste. That's it. Once you get the perfect setup you save as preset, close TotalMix and you can mostly forget about it, and you can even flash the FF400 for standalone use.

RW

Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus_i7-3770K-3.9GHz_DDR3-16GB_Win8.1-x64_TI FW PCI_1xUAD-2_Cubase 4&7

Dear liuto and rwil,
thanks for your respond. But I am afraid it is not that easy. Of course I have an adapter that makes Stereo to 2 monos. And as I mentioned, I managed to get the result, only it seems completely illogical, that I get the two mono outs when I explicitely choose to have the main monitor go to headphones. For my feeling this means all outputs get summed up. And I made clear in the settings I choose 7-8 for +4 dB, that is all you can do. Then it gets mysterious. I checked the booklet, but there is no description how to switch. I want to understand how it works, then I will also remember next time I come to the same problemn. At this point I do not understand the concept behind it. 

Preset 1 says in the manual:  "All channels routed 1:1, monitoring of all playback channels via Phones" In my ears that means ch 1-6 got to out 1-6 and on 7/8 you can monitor them. Or what does this mean?

Again thanks for your support, but let's try to get this mystery solved, maybe some rme guys will join our little discussions.

All the best

HP

6 (edited by rwil 2007-10-17 20:17:22)

Ullstein wrote:

For my feeling this means all outputs get summed up.

Maybe I don't catch what you mean by "all outputs get summed up", but absolutly not!
The "Monitor Main" and his related "Monitor Phones" section have nothing to do on how everything is routed from rows 1&2 to row 3.
The "Monitor Main" and his related "Monitor Phones" only perform some tasks around your monitoring and from which you can use any outs; analog or digital.
Preset 1 could be a good starting preset for you. Again set TotalMix in subview having all rows visible, and now just focus on 7+8 and compare to 5+6 on focus. Do you see the difference from the faders's position from row 2? When focus is on 5+6, only 5+6 from the 2nd row are route to out 5+6. If you focus on 7+8 you will see that all channels from the 2nd row are routed to 7+8 (maybe here it is what you mean by "all outs get summed up"). So, just perform the same routing using 7+8 as it is on 5+6 (as also from 1+2 & 3+4); I mean just shutdown all of the fader from 2nd row except for channels 7 & 8. Now your custom preset no. 1 will have a perfect 8 to 8 mono routing around the analog outs. If you want to perform the same to route the FF400 hw ins to the outs; just copy what you found from the 2nd row to the 1st row, and having focus to each of the outs one by one.
It is simple in submix view; as soon that you focus on outs from the 3rd row, any faders up found from 1st & 2nd row may end up routed (panned accordingly of course).

RW

Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus_i7-3770K-3.9GHz_DDR3-16GB_Win8.1-x64_TI FW PCI_1xUAD-2_Cubase 4&7

Dear RW,

I am very happy that you are willing to teach me this. Thank you so much. But I still do not get anything. Please look at the two attached screenshots. I followed your advice, selected Preset 1 and went to Submix and clicked alternatively on outs 7+8 and outs 5+6 and see how diferent these images are. It is incomparable. But if I have a 1:1 situation it should allways be comparable, don't you think?/Users/hanspeterkuhn/Desktop/Bild 1.png/Users/hanspeterkuhn/Desktop/Bild 2.png

Sorry I try to connect the images now

images

(Link is dead - RME Support)

The "Monitor Main" and his related "Monitor Phones" only perform some tasks around your monitoring and from which you can use any outs; analog or digital.

But then how do you access that. And how do you explain that when I click it, that I get channels 7+8 go to outs 7+8? If it is not activated, 7+8 are silent. It is totally confusing to me. And have in mind I am a german like the programmers of rme, so I should be used to their way of thinking. But it does not work, haha.

Ullstein wrote:

Dear RW,

I am very happy that you are willing to teach me this. Thank you so much. But I still do not get anything. Please look at the two attached screenshots. I followed your advice, selected Preset 1 and went to Submix and clicked alternatively on outs 7+8 and outs 5+6 and see how diferent these images are. It is incomparable. But if I have a 1:1 situation it should allways be comparable, don't you think?/Users/hanspeterkuhn/Desktop/Bild 1.png/Users/hanspeterkuhn/Desktop/Bild 2.png

That is, your 2 images show what is going on using the default RME's Preset no 1. So, like I tried to explained; focus on 7+8, and shut down all faders from 2nd row except 7 & 8, and maybe raise the fader 7+8 3rd row to 0.0 db, save the preset, and you have a 8 application outs to 8 analog mono hw outs routing setup! To do the same to route analog hw inputs to analog hw outs, on each channels pair focus (3rd row), shut the fader on 2nd row and raise the fader on 1st row and having the pan position  adjusted properly.

RW

Thank you RW,

I did as you said and it looks like it is OK. But don't you think that is very funny thinking. It is very complicatewd. I do not get the concept. This should be the simplest of all setups, but it is some kind of hidden. Please rme people read this and try to get this into your minds.
Anyhow thank you and I hope that this will solve my problem. Allthough I do not feel comfortable,because I cannot see the concept.

All the best to you RW

Thanks HP

13 (edited by rwil 2007-10-17 22:42:17)

Ullstein wrote:

But then how do you access that. And how do you explain that when I click it, that I get channels 7+8 go to outs 7+8? If it is not activated, 7+8 are silent. It is totally confusing to me. And have in mind I am a german like the programmers of rme, so I should be used to their way of thinking. But it does not work, haha.

Well that section is another beast and if you want for now to keep it simple, from the "Monitor Main" section, just select the outs that you are using for your own monitoring purpose, and in such case the dim and mono buttons, and solo around the mixer will works for that out selected.

RW

I am sorry RW, I don't get it. But I think the two of us will not solve this. It is a strange concept of the programmers. They do not want to follow the normal concept of a mixing console. Well, there is nothing you can do about it. I only think it is not a good concept. The hardware is great but the software is far beyond. I hope someone from rme reads this. A mixing console should work like a mixing console otherwise it si not worth anything. The TotalMix siftware tries to put everything upside down, but then you can't work with it. Funny idea.

I thank you very much for your efforts. I enjoy your comments and I hope this will help me, but it certainly does not solve the basic problem.

Anyhow, good luck for your work and thanks again

HP

Dear rme-people, please read my thread "Fireface 400, TotalMix out 7+8" Please work on the software to make it more accessible. The way it is now, for some people it is not usable and that makes the hardware unusable too... and your hardware is very good,. It is a shame....

Hello,

Ullstein wrote:

Dear RMEs, your hardware is perfect, please do something for simple minded people and change this TotalMix set-up or allow to dump it. Or make a version that only offers the matrix straight forward, that would be great.

To be honest, I don't quite understand what exactly is your difficulty with understanding Totalmix. But if you understand the Matrix, then just use the Matrix - mind that the Matrix and the Mixer exactly represent each other, whatever you do on one surface one also happens on the other. Maybe using the Matrix and seeing how this is reflected in the mixer will help you understand how the mixer works...

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Dear Daniel Fuchs,
thanks for the response. I am afraid there are many things. Maybe we can telephone, I am happy to tell you more, it is too much to write this down. But let me come to my original problem. In the book it says, "Preset 1: Description: All channels routed 1:1, monitoring of all playback channels via Phones" What does that mean, to me it says channels 1-6 got to out 1-6 and a mix of everything goes to Phones. And since the ff400 does not have 8 separate outsputs anymore, but instead a combined Monitor/7+8 output, one needs to be able to access those in 2 ways. But all descriptions only talk about monitoring/headphones.

OK, I select Preset 1 in Submix. I click on outs 7+8/PHL+PHR, all second row faders are on 0 dB. Now I click on outs 5+6 and only 2nd row faders 5+6 are at 0dB, all others are closed. For me that looks like I am supposed to monitor all channels on outs 7+8 (or Phones). Also outs 7+8 are at -6 dB while out 1-6 are all at 0 dB - so there is in no case a 1:1 situation. And when I click a black button under the 2nd row each channel has its own routing plus phones checked. And it is not even possible to uncheck the phones. I really do not understand the logic of this.
Sorry
HP

Ullstein wrote:

In the book it says, "Preset 1: Description: All channels routed 1:1, monitoring of all playback channels via Phones" What does that mean, to me it says channels 1-6 got to out 1-6 and a mix of everything goes to Phones.

Correct. And as Phones is Channels 7/8 everything works as expected.

wrote:

OK, I select Preset 1 in Submix. I click on outs 7+8/PHL+PHR, all second row faders are on 0 dB. Now I click on outs 5+6 and only 2nd row faders 5+6 are at 0dB, all others are closed. For me that looks like I am supposed to monitor all channels on outs 7+8 (or Phones).

Correct.

wrote:

Also outs 7+8 are at -6 dB while out 1-6 are all at 0 dB - so there is in no case a 1:1 situation.

Of course it is. Except for the additional submixing all software channels are routed 1:1 to the hardware outputs.

wrote:

And when I click a black button

Nobody told you to do this. After you clicked on 7/8, why didn't you set up the second row faders as suggested here?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Maybe I cannot make myself clear. I want software channel out 1 to go to output 1, then I want software 2 to go to out 2 and so on until software channel 7 got to out 7 and software ch 8 go to out 8. And I do not want any internal mix that also goes to out 7+8 because they shall be separate.
OK in the meantime I found a way of doing it by opening the matrix and click off all boxes that are disturbing. But I think that should be possible in the mixwindow as well, if they are only two representatives of the same thing. I find it strange why you do not use the normal mixer-metaphor and instead invent something that does not follow the normal flow from in>out. Usually in a mixer you have the routing above the fader (and the outputs on the right) I understand that you put ins and outs above each other for space reasons. But why is it not possible to change the routing, where the routing button actually is. when I click under the softwarechannel and try to select another output, something totally crazy happens: the faders go down to closed position and the old output ist still checkmarked but the new is not only the blackbox shows the new one. It should be either that both outputs are selected or if I uncheck the old one only the new one should be marked. And the fader should goddamn stay where it was, who told it to move. I control what's going on, not the machine. This is not understandable. What is the good of that?

Curiously
HP

Hi,

- open first Fireface Settings and select "Limit Bandwith" set to Analog 1-8
- then open TotalMix, select Preset 1 and have a look at middle row "Playback"
you see Out 1 to Out 8 is routed to Phones, have a look at the "Output" bottom row
- open Matrix with key "X" the Horisontal view shows faders Out "but is hidden by SubMix view"
Vertical view shows routing to Phone, means "Playback" channels are also routed to PH L 1 to PH R 8
if we don't use Phones then simply left click in the Matrix on the green icons [0.0]
on every channel you don't need!

one way to faster understand TotalMix is
open TotalMix and Matrix at the same time
load Presets and have a look at routings in both windows
and start experiment by clicking and move faders
when finding some good settings Save as...
default setting press Ctrl + Preset 1

hope this helps

regards S-EH

Thanks S-E I managed.
all the best
HP

Ullstein wrote:

But why is it not possible to change the routing, where the routing button actually is. when I click under the softwarechannel and try to select another output, something totally crazy happens: the faders go down to closed position and the old output ist still checkmarked but the new is not only the blackbox shows the new one.

This is not crazy at all - it's fully intentional. You can route one signal to more than one destination. To enable and disable a routing in the mixer, you need to move a fader up or down. To enable, select and pull up the fader - signal routed to new destination (and checkmark set). To disable, select and pull the fader all the way down - checkmark and routing gone.
This is different in the matrix, selecting a routing will enable it at unity gain right away.

It should be either that both outputs are selected or if I uncheck the old one only the new one should be marked. And the fader should goddamn stay where it was, who told it to move. I control what's going on, not the machine.

You do. And you get even more control this way. You can select a desired routing and then slowly pull up the fader, without having a signal go to an output at full volume immediately. If you want that, use the matrix. And the fader only moves down for that one particular destination, without changing other routings. I think that makes a lot of sense...

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

OK, I got the message. Thanks

regards
HP

Ullstein wrote:

But why is it not possible to change the routing, where the routing button actually is. when I click under the softwarechannel and try to select another output, something totally crazy happens: the faders go down to closed position and the old output ist still checkmarked but the new is not only the blackbox shows the new one.

Obviously it is VERY logical for the fader to go down. For the routing that you selected the gain had been zero. So why should the fader show something different? And when you want some level to be send with this routing, then by all means - move the fader up!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks S-E I managed.Thanks S-E I managed.Thanks S-E I managed.Thanks S-E I managed.!!!!

I suggest the matrix should be configured not to send everything to phones by default.
I spend 4 hours to get the matrix appear i tryed everything in totalmix now i understand and i get the phones getting
the monitor of traktor it is wonderfull i am going to make everybody dance with the rme fireface. Great sound in the party.
Thanks everyone for giving help and issues and RME should make a link to MATRIX in the TOTALMIX panel it would be EASIER TO UNDERSTAND

Antoine

maloumix wrote:

I suggest the matrix should be configured not to send everything to phones by default.

Of course. As a result we will have 10 users per day complaining about that they don't hear anything right after they fired up the unit. Compared to one guy per month now. Nice improvement....

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME