Topic: RME DIGI96/8 card 'disappeared'

Hi everyone,

After successfully transferring +/- 160 DAT tapes using Wavelab 5 on Windows XP 32bits over the last year, something strange happened to me yesterday as I tried to transfer another one: suddenly, all of the 4 DIGI96/8 In (x+x)(x) entries under Wavelab's Preferences -> Audio Card -> Live Input / Recording were gone. Previously, I was able to record the signal from my DAT player through DIGI96/8 In (1+2)(1) without any problem, while the MME driver of my other audio card (a Terratec Aureon) was selected on the playback side.

Now, only the RME's ASIO driver is available on the Playback side, which then turns into Playback / Recording when the ASIO driver is selected. The right part of Preferences (Live Input / Recording) is then greyed out ad recording is possible.

As for DigiCheck (4.53), it throws a Device Opening Error warning as follows "Opening audio device: Invalid device selected or no device available".

I would very much like to revert to the previous setup, as it would allow me to capture audio from the DAT player and then replay files from within Wavelab without having to re-open Preferences. I have tried re-installing the card's latest drivers (w2k_211.zip), to no avail of course.

Many thanks in advance for your help which will be greatly appreciated!

Re: RME DIGI96/8 card 'disappeared'

Does the card appear in the device manager? Does the settings doalog open up?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hello Daniel,

Thanks very much for your quick reaction!

Yes, the card shows up in the device manager as 'RME DIGI96/8 PRO', Windows reporting it's working OK and yes, digi96.exe does run the way it did before.

Kind Regards

-alloja

Hi again,

I can also report the card as working perfectly on the same computer under Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64bits.

After figuring out how to switch the S/PDIF input from coaxial to optical using alsamixer, I'm able to capture audio from the DAT player using Audacity.

But getting it back to work as before in Wavelab under XP 32bits would allow me to transfer some other DAT tapes with start-IDs, which is why I bought the card in the first place. And again, under XP, if the card appears OK in the device manager, Digicheck simply doesn't 'see' it anymore HeadScratch

No more ideas as to what might have gone wrong?

Many thanks,

-alloja

Is MME still available for the other soundcard? If not check the Windows audio service. Also check the old 10 Entry Tech Info:

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_support_tech … q_10entryd

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hallo Matthias,

And many thanks!

Yes, MME is still available for my other soundcard (a Terratec Aureon), as well as for the Microsoft Sound Mapper. Both show up on the recording side on the soundcards tab of Wavelab's preferences.

The Windows audio service seems to be working as it should, as sound is coming out of the Terratec. And no trace either of the 10 Entry Limit bug: this is XP SP3, and in the mentionned key of the registry, I've only got wave, wave1 and wave2, and midi, midi1 and midi2, all of them pointing to wdmaud.drv.

Thanks in advance for any further suggestions,

Kind Regards

-alloja

Hi Daniel and Matthias,

After trying all your suggestions unsuccessfully, the last thing I did was pulling out the card from its PCI slot and putting it back in place again: still no joy.

Any further suggestions will be most welcome!

Kind Regards

-alloja

Can you also test the card in another computer?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hallo Daniel,

Yes, I'd thought about this as well, of course, but right now, it's going to be difficult, as this is the last desktop in working order at hand. The other ones are laptops...

I'll try to find another one and keep you posted.

Kind Regards

-alloja