Topic: Compatibility to Mac OS X Lion

The golden master of Lion does no longer show some performance problems and errors that we saw earlier, so it seems Apple has fixed those.

Unfortunately they seem to have introduced a new bug. When changing the sample rate several things can happen:

- playback is garbled for several seconds
- the application hangs for several seconds
- a mixture of both

With programs like Logic, which needs several seconds to switch anyway, the error is not easily noticable. With iTunes it is.

This error also affects Apples own FireWire driver (it works internally similar to the RME HDSP driver), so is not caused by our drivers. We have informed Apple and hope a fix will come soon.

This error is no showstopper, and if you switch sample rate not so often you most likely don't even notice it. Apart from this Lion seems to work ok with audio.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Compatibility to Mac OS X Lion

Is there an expected release date for the updated driver for Mac OS 10.7 so i can get my Multiface working again? thx

Anyone home? an answer would be fantastich

I second the Q.
What about a Lion driver update ?
I'm working with HDSPe AIO with Pro Tools 9.0.5 and Lion 10.7.1 on a mid 2010 6 core mac pro and I'm having playback issues. Playback sometimes won't start and only changing the Playback Engine buffer size (or Quitting and reopening the Program) will solve the problem, untill it starts again, of course. There's no way to predict when this is going to happen or why. This has made my work flow very frustrating !

5 (edited by ronwasserman 2011-09-26 04:30:13)

I'm running Pro tools to 2 slave macs each with AIO cards. PT is hanging for a bit every now and then so I'm REALLY looking forward to Lion drivers. I think this has something to do with ADAT sync issues.

DrDrumm - ronwasserman: I am sure that our driver has nothing to do with the effects that you experience. Either Lion or ProTools need an update here.

And the sample rate change problem described in the first post has been fixed by Apple and we are all just waiting for the release of that fix.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for your response Matthias. I'm certain you're right. PT is such a bloated glitchy program the issue must be there. Hopefully it'll be resolved in the 64 bit PT10 version.

Cheers,
Ron

Any answer on an expected delivery date for updated Drives so i can get my Multiface working with OSX Lion? Comon i know you can do it!!

9 (edited by Basstard 2011-10-06 13:23:12)

Matthias, does it mean that 'Multiface' is going to work with the upcoming 10.7.2 update of Lion?
So it's mainly an OS issue than Multiface drivers? does it have anything to do with the expresscard support?
I already purchased Lion in the very early state and made bad experiences with my Multiface - means: didn't work at all (on my Macbook Pro, oct.2008). So clever as I am ;-) I simply reloaded my current Timemachine backup and voila - everything was back to Snow Leopard and I could continue working on my current projects.

Would you be so kind and inform us as soon as you can give us 'green light' to finally install Lion on our systems - proved that Multiface and other HDSPs work properly?

Thanks in advance and best wishes!

PS.: thanks for your great work guys - your products are simply the BEST and a real pleasure to work with every day!

Yes some news would be great. I've posted a few questions but cant seem to get any response here. We would just like to know what the situation is..

Just to confirm. Driver version 2.77 does NOT work with OSX Lion & Multiface in my studio. I would not upgrade to Lion like i have.

2.77 works perfectly fine here with both a PCIe Card and Multiface and with an HDSPe MADI in an external case.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I would not upgrade to Lion like i have.

Clean install or update over SL?

best regards
Knut

Installed 10.7.2 overnight. Nothing unusual (Mac Pro)... Reaper playing 96k audio with a PCIe card and MF I just like before. coreaudiod using 2.2 % CPU.

Haven't got a Macbook at my immediate disposal, though.
Which type of MBP have you got exactly?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I don't need Lion at the moment but it would be nice if I could use what I've bought.

Let me guess: it was not a fresh installation but an update over Snow Leopard?

Before you go for a fresh installation you can try the Lion fix from Pal Svennevig (thanks for sharing):

"I got it to work, here's what I did:

Since my Lion install was upgraded from Snow Leo first to Lion beta, then GM, then 10.7.2 beta I suspected some plist problems. And I also remembered that I used to have the Babuface as default CoreAudio device as soon as I plug it in. Thus meaning the coureaudiod have to switch when BF plugs in. I delete Audio and Midi plist from my user, then deleted all plists from \Library\preferences\audio. Repaired disk rights and rebooted. This time the BF came to life and I can now happily use it. "

best regards
Knut

I've got remote access to an MBP, updating to 10.7.2, when that's done, I'll test playback with a Madiface.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Im not sure what steps actually solved the issue but suggest this to any users who have trouble with a multiface & Lion.

Uninstall all RME drivers.
Installed all drivers again starting from Version 1.73
installed version 2.77
Update the Firmware / Flash Update Tool RME thing from 2009 from this site.
Disc Utility -> Repair Permissions on main Hard Disk.

Successive updates are not required, all drivers are complete. Depending on the previously installed firmware, the update may have helped.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Still having issues with LION 10.7.2

Hi try updating yesterday to 10.7.2 and still have same issues in both MAC computers with Lion, tried to re-install drivers change sample rate and repair the Permissions for the Hard drive, and the audio still garbled.

specs for the machines:
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
8Gb 1333 MHz DDR3

You use which RME product with what firmware version?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ssgrfk wrote:

Im not sure what steps actually solved the issue but suggest this to any users who have trouble with a multiface & Lion.

Uninstall all RME drivers.
Installed all drivers again starting from Version 1.73
installed version 2.77
Update the Firmware / Flash Update Tool RME thing from 2009 from this site.
Disc Utility -> Repair Permissions on main Hard Disk.

ssgrfk: Did this process solve the problem and helped running your Multiface (1) on Macbook Pro / Lion ?

Can somebody confirm please if I can run my Multiface (1) on Macbook Pro (5,1 late 2008) expresscard - and updating to current LION version?

I really appreciate your help and info about that.

Best wishes

Problem:  OSX 10.7 recognizes the HSDPe card as an entity, but it does not show up in the Sound preferences, nor in Garageband/Logic. 

Product:  Multiface II with HDSPe card for Macbook Pro

System:  2008 MBP, recently upgraded to 10.6 and immediately 10.7 via the App Store. 

Already tried:  Driver 3.01.  Removing Audio Plist files (there were two of them).  Verify and Repair Disk Permissions.   Reboot.   

I cannot find the Firmware Flash updater to try that. 

Is there a fix for this that I have overlooked? 

Any help is appreciated.

I found and applied the Firmware Updater.  Boom, now it works!

So is support for the HSPD series discontinued? I just want to know so if so I can sell my HDSP Multiface.  I love it and have been using if forever but buying hdspe for like 4-500 bucks just doesn't make sense to me.  I don't understand why there are no drivers for th HDSP series for Lion.  Works great in Win7.....

There are no drivers because Intel Macs no longer have PCI slots.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

When I read all this it seems I don't get a clear answer... smile
Is HSDPe PCIe Madi OSX Lion compliant or not yet or barely or....?
I intend to upgrade my mac but if the Madicard does not work I will be basically out of business...
Oh and I suspect that the Madicard is PT10 64Bits compatible, right?

Thanks for your kind support

Georges

I running a MacPro 8core

Yes and yes, as long as it is a PCIe card. PCI is of course not compatible.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

That's good news! Great.

Thanks

Georges

im running 2.66 quad core mac withrme 72 channel hdspe ray dat pci express card and have just installed os mountain lion and now im getting cut out on playback of audio  please advice???