Topic: Two-computer setup: bouncing offline

Hi,

I am a composer working for film and videogame and I have a question regarding bouncing offline from a two-computer setup.

My main DAW is Cubase on a pc with HDSP 9632, from which I control samples inside Cubase and a Hollywood Strings template (Play standalone) streaming from a second pc with HDSP 9632.
Midi is over LAN, audio goes from the second pc to the main DAW through ADAT.

Is there a way to bounce everything offline from Cubase in this situation without additional software or a mixer?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Alessandro

Re: Two-computer setup: bouncing offline

Hi,
What version of Cubase?
You can do an Offline(Real time) Bounce 2 different ways inside of Cubase version 5 or 6.
You can use RME's Digicheck's Global Record function to record your real time playback from any of the channels coming from the 2nd machine as well as Cubase's playback.
Either method will allow for multi-channel bouncing in case you need to deliver steams to some one.
Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Hi Chris,

thanks for the reply. I'm on Cubase 6, I was actually looking for "non-realtime" bouncing, since I'd need a way to deliver mixes even of longer cues the faster way, like I did when all the VSTi were inside of Cubase.

Alessandro

Hi Alessandro,
What software is being used on the 2nd system?
I know when using Vienna Ensemble pro as a network host with East West or any other VSYi you can do a normal audio export/offline bounce in Cubase just you could if you were using the East West stuff inside of Cubase one the one machine.
You will also not be tied to just 8 channels of ADAT at a time. I believe VE Pro will deal with up to 32 stereo VSTI outputs as a plug in inside of Cubase. The is per instance. You will also be able to have I think virtual MIDI ports available for VE Pro to be triggered with.
http://www.viennaensemblepro.com/

Other than this the only way I can think of speeding up delivery is to start recording tracks from the 2nd machine into Cubase early in the composing process. Such as when you are happy with a string part then go ahead and record that part into Cubase as an audio track. eventually all your tracks would have a corresponding audio track already for each part by the time to get tot he end.
Of course this would depend on your composing style. I don't see this method working that well in film/video composing since you will tend to mess about with the tempo allot during the writing process.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas