Topic: Multiface II Express Card Win7 freeze

hallo,
Recently I racked all my preamps and the Multiface to be able to record also outside my home studio, so I needed a laptop and I bought from a friend an Acer Aspire 5920G because it has an ExpressCard slot, which is disappeared from modern computers... this Aspire is not a light bolt but is enough for just recordings...
But.... there is a problem with the ExpressCard, at the beginning of every session I the system freeze quite often, I need to reboot it manually, sometimes I just unplug the expresscard but usually I get a Blue Screen error.... after few reboots strangely it works for the rest of the day.... last week I did two 8 hours sessions.
I'm already searching a solution for this issue, apparently it has something to do with the power management.
The BIOS in the Aspire doesn't allow me to turn in off, is there any other workaround for this issue?
I also have another question regarding the RME ExpressCard:
when I click it in the slot it's not really locked, I can slide it off without click it in again... is it normal?
thanks
Paolo

Re: Multiface II Express Card Win7 freeze

Did you update the card's firmware?

The 'not really locked' is normal, same with every card.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I installed the whole system not more than 1 month ago so I downloaded what I believe is the most updated drivers and firmware, but I will double check the firmware to be sure, could that be the cause of the problem?
p

The latest firmware will inhibit the system's PCIe power saving attempts even without appropriate BIOS setting...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

thanks a lot... apparently I didn't install the latest, it was rev18, now it's rev20.
I did a small test yesterday, I didn't record anything I just kept the pc on for a bit, looks like it's fine.
thanks a lot
Paolo
PS.: I sent a message to the support email last week, please ignore it smile