Topic: New HDSP(e) series Windows driver generation 4.x

RME presents the next generation of the HDSP and HDSPe Windows driver - 4.x !

The HDSP(e) series drivers have seen all Windows generations from 98 up to Windows 8.1. Over a period of more than 13 years, the basic driver design had to be changed several times, at one point even the firmware of the interfaces, to gain best performance out of the ever changing hardware and operating systems.

The new driver generation 4.x has several interesting aspects. For example, it brings back the old Interleaved option for WDM operation in an easier to understand and more flexible way. It also no longer waits for Microsoft to come up with a working sample rate control for professional multichannel audio interfaces, instead it implements complete unload/reload of WDM devices for full control under Windows 7 and 8. But even if only ASIO is used the driver 4.x has something unique to offer: TotalMix FX. Yes, we ported the latest TotalMix FX back to all devices released since 2001! Of course there is no EQ, no Echo, no Reverb, no Dynamics, as the hardware can not render these. Still there are many advantages of TotalMix FX in comparison to the previous TotalMix:

•    choice of mono and stereo channels
•    improved graphics including zoom states
•    OSC remote control
•    separate control room section, Cue, flexible talkback for all outputs, 4 Mute and Solo groups, Recall, External Input, local and global TrimGains/Post support with exclusion, Layout Presets to hide channels or MIDI remote functionality, 2 Row mode, multiple remote support, assignable F-key commands, Windows/Mac compatible mixer files, Matrix with Mono/Stereo mode, PFL mode, and and and…

The list is long - and getting longer as TM FX is still being worked on. We can only encourage you to read the chapters describing TotalMix FX in detail in the special User Guide update found here:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/wi … er_4_e.pdf (english)

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/wi … er_4_d.pdf (german)

This update to the existing manuals also covers the new functions and features with WDM devices as well as the current clock options, plus the deinstallation issue of the old TotalMix.

Driver download:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dr … in_404.zip

Have fun!

-------------

Update 07/23/2014: New versions of the flash update tools have been uploaded to the website. These include no newer firmware versions (HDSPe 06/2013, HDSP 02/2009), but are now compatible to the 4.x series driver.

-------------

Update 10/27/2014: changed link to version 4.04. Removed comment about the old TM as it is uninstalled automatically now. The update manuals are now available in version 1.2.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: New HDSP(e) series Windows driver generation 4.x

Woooah!!

Madiface XT, Madiface, 3x Micstasy, ADI8QS
Sequoia 17, W10 x64
https://bsound.co.nz/tools-nix

Amazing! thankyou RME!

_

RME HDSP9652 | | RME Digiface USB

You are really crazy. I can't believe it.
This is like I bought a new hardware.
Thanks very much
Georg

Okay, just installed driver ver 4.0 to my HDSPe AIO in Win 8.1 machine.

After restart, I got TMFX!!!

But then, I found digital AES, SPDIF are missing in Sound Control panel in Win OS.
So, Realtek sound kicked in to play system sound.
I disabled Realtek from Device manager, and restarted again..

Then, TMFX interface is gone, and reverted back to TM interface..
I still can't use digital output from the Win OS Sound.

I can use all the IN/OUT from Reaper, though.

Do I need to uninstall old driver before installing new one?

I should've done that....but I was too excited...

You should have read the update paper and checked the setting for the WDM devices.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes, I should've read (I know I know)....I uninstalled from the Control panel, and reinstalled 4.0 driver. Now, all the AES/SPDIF inputs re-appeared, and working. In fact, it's interesting to have both TM and TMFX open.

Thanks a lot!

9 (edited by georgob 2014-07-17 08:39:27)

What about the Madiface? Isn't it included in the update?
Georg

edit: I tried it and it worked. Must have missed it in the update manual.

Nice find - I had totally overlooked that unit (original MF). Will update the info.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

does this mean madi FX and MADI HDSPe can now aggregate?

www.analoguemastering.com

Thank you guys at RME for this update! All working great here.

Except for one thing: DIGICheck won't see my HDSPe RayDat card. It only has an option to select HDSP Madi card, which I don't have/installed.

I uninstalled everything and re-installed, but still no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Robin

Windows 11 / Nuendo 12 / UFX+ / M-1610 Pro / ADI-2 Pro FS R / Sonnet USB 3.0 PCIe

Raphie wrote:

does this mean madi FX and MADI HDSPe can now aggregate?

No, MADI FX (along with the XT in PCIe mode) retains a separate driver.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

14 (edited by Robin Walsh 2014-07-17 14:41:05)

Sorted!

Yes, my RayDAT is the latest firmware.

I use only AES/EBU for monitoring via a Dangerous DAC-ST. All of the inputs and outputs of the Lynx's are used for inserts/surround/click/foldback, etc.

I removed all WDM Devices except AES/EBU and that's where the problem is.

DIGICheck needs a WDM device on channel 1 + 2, specifically. It does not recognize the RayDAT if only AES/EBU is selected as the WDM Device (or other channels are used). WDM Device on 1+2 for the RayDAT to be recognized in DIGICheck..

Thanks Matthias!! Much appreciated!!!

Kindest,
Robin

Windows 11 / Nuendo 12 / UFX+ / M-1610 Pro / ADI-2 Pro FS R / Sonnet USB 3.0 PCIe

Sounds like a bug in DIGICheck. Thanks for the info.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

You're welcome. The new changes are great!

Downloaded the new driver today - Win 8.1 64 and hdsp AIO card. Driver works fine, but Digicheck 5.71 now only lists "HDSP MADI" on the input device setup page, a card I do not have installed.

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic … 810#p97810

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Doh! Thanks, working fine now.

20 (edited by undertone 2014-07-17 21:38:27)

It's extraordinary to me how you keep throwing refreshes on older but still very useful technology. Simply awesome. Thanks for this! Some observations:

• One idea that struck me as I was working with TM4 with my Digiface is why there aren't any FX sends on the channels for a master FX chain. Now I know that there's no TM FX to be had from my older hardware, but the idea of having routable master FX sends per channel is an appealing one because of its visual logic, even though this can be handled as always using the Submix mode, and the master FX by dedicating a stereo channel to ASIO Effects send/return to/from an ASIO host. But it could also be a secondary FX path, if hardware allows.

• Is there's no surround functionality in TM4 in any form? It would be useful to have a 6-channel control room.

• Channel mono mode in the Matrix: should I not be able to assign a mono channel to both right and left of a stereo pair? Right now I can only assign a mono channel to the R or L depending on whether is was originally R or L.

• And finally, there's probably no chance of this, but for completeness I have to mention it: maybe one day TM could itself become an ASIO host... wink

Again, thanks for the upgrade. At this point, all I can say is "Keep being RME!" smile

PC1 = HDSPe PCIe: DF-ADI-8 DS / HDSPe PCIe: MF2
MBP = HDSPe Expresscard: MF1

Hi, question concerning control room. I have Raydat, 2x ADI-8DS and ADI-2 which I use for main out. Assign option in the control room shows only ADAT 1/2 ... ADAT 15/16 but no SPDIF. SPDIF is normally shown as channel in the TM. 

Nice upgrade BTW.

KR, bgor

undertone wrote:

[*]Is there's no surround functionality in TM4 in any form? It would be useful to have a 6-channel control room.[/*]

On our list already.

undertone wrote:

[*]Channel mono mode in the Matrix: should I not be able to assign a mono channel to both right and left of a stereo pair? Right now I can only assign a mono channel to the R or L depending on whether is was originally R or L.[/*]

Hit the big button MONO MODE on the right.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Masaaki wrote:

Yes, I should've read (I know I know)....

I see that Timur has linked this thread over to Gearslutz, and also over there you state:

> one thing I 'lose' with TMFX is the ability to change the gain sliders, all of them selected (click them to group - yellow). TMFX can't do that, I think.

Oh oh... fryingpan

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
Masaaki wrote:

Yes, I should've read (I know I know)....

I see that Timur has linked this thread over to Gearslutz, and also over there you state:

> one thing I 'lose' with TMFX is the ability to change the gain sliders, all of them selected (click them to group - yellow). TMFX can't do that, I think.

Oh oh... fryingpan

Ah...I completely forgot I can do shift click in TMFX. Sorry!!

I'll amend the GS post as well.

MC wrote:

Hit the big button MONO MODE on the right.

big_smile

I plugged in UFX to the machine that has HDSPe AIO, and now TotalMix FX has two panes!

Actually, with this new driver, I can comfortably use my Acer touch monitor to control pan knobs and sliders in TMFX, and that's for HDSPe AIO card.

I'm so ecstatic! Thank you RME!

Many thanks for this! Seems to work fine here.

28 (edited by Dandruff 2014-07-18 06:49:11)

Control Room volume isn't saved in Snapshots. Bug or feature?

Edit: Found the setting in Preferences ...

Masaaki wrote:

I plugged in UFX to the machine that has HDSPe AIO, and now TotalMix FX has two panes!

Actually, with this new driver, I can comfortably use my Acer touch monitor to control pan knobs and sliders in TMFX, and that's for HDSPe AIO card.

I'm so ecstatic! Thank you RME!

Acer touch monitor ?? Can you pls explain your setup more in detail ?

So you have a PC, a touch monitor and by this touch monitor you can also use the display to control sliders ?

Or do you use a tablet additionally as a remote control ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

> Can you pls explain your setup more in detail ?

NOT in this thread.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

31 (edited by Timur Born 2014-07-18 11:39:09)

That is why I linked this thread instead of just posting everything there, so that people come here for questions and discussions, too. And so that they read the full info and answers here first before asking over there.

PS: Sorry that I wasn't fast enough to answer the shift-click question. Busy days. MC to the rescue, but I didn't mean to increase his workload by opening the Gearslutz thread! wink

bgor wrote:

Hi, question concerning control room. I have Raydat, 2x ADI-8DS and ADI-2 which I use for main out. Assign option in the control room shows only ADAT 1/2 ... ADAT 15/16 but no SPDIF. SPDIF is normally shown as channel in the TM.

We added all channels of the RayDAT for the Main menu in version 1.02b3:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/to … b3_win.zip

Exit TM FX, then copy the file TotaMixFX.exe to Windows\system32 and start it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Matthias, thanks a lot for a quick fix. It works now as expected.

KR, bgor

Robin Walsh wrote:

DIGICheck needs a WDM device on channel 1 + 2, specifically. It does not recognize the RayDAT if only AES/EBU is selected as the WDM Device (or other channels are used). WDM Device on 1+2 for the RayDAT to be recognized in DIGICheck.

This issue affecting all cards has been fixed in DIGICheck version 5.72, available on our website:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dc_572_win.zip

Please note that the old TotalMix suffers from the same issue. With 0 WDM devices it looks like dead. We will update that one later so its 'final' version will have no problems with the 4.x series drivers.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Matthias,

The updates are installed and working perfectly!! I have AES/EBU as the only WDM/Speaker device now. Thank you so much for such speedy updates!

The new Totalmix for the RayDat is fantastic!

Being able to assign AES/EBU as the Main out matches my workflow. Operating the new Totalmix is so much more intuitive.

A big 'THANKS' to RME!!

Caio,
Robin

36 (edited by Dandruff 2014-07-20 16:07:48)

Small suggestion:

When only one channel is displayed (all others disabled in Channel Layout), the

"HARDWARE INPUTS"
"SOFTWARE PLAYBACK"
"HARDWARE OUTPUTS"

labels are cut off. Maybe these could be shortened in this special case?

"INPUTS"
"SOFTWARE"
"OUTPUTS"

should work and would look better.

Also the Matrix view in old TotalMix was looking better IMO (no Mixer in background visible, just plain Routing Matrix). Not sure what others think about that ...

Update 07/22/2014: If your computer loads TM FX before the old TotalMix, TotalMix will overwrite the latest TM FX mixer settings with an outdated state at boot time. Therefore we recommend to remove the autostart of TotalMix. You can use this file to do so, simply download, unzip, double-click it.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/no … tmhdsp.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

oh my god... is this coming for mac any time? I have a RayDAT and have always lusted for TotalMixFX :'(

Of course. After our summer holidays.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

40 (edited by Thermaltake 2014-07-27 13:16:37)

RME have the best support I ever seen in my life, best wishes to devs. 4.00 is super new totalmix looks great.

With HDSP 9652 the assignable outputs in Control Room are limited: from ADAT 1-2 up to ADAT 15-16 (total 8 selections). No outputs can be selected from ADAT 17-18 up to ADAT 23-24 and S/PDIF.

Is this intended or by design?

I hope not because on our system e.g. the main output has always been ADAT 17-18. Obviously we want to assign this output pair as the main Control Room output.

Or am I overlooking something?

That is with driver beta drive 4.0.

Thanks!

I Second Perry's request.
I also would like to have ch 63/64 for monitoring on my maid face.
I can only assign up to ch 15/16.

I read in the manual, this is due to being compatible with higher sample rates.
But if I switch to 96khz I would have to take a look on the routing anyway.

Georg

MC wrote:

Of course. After our summer holidays.

Sorry for the OT, but have these started? I've been trying to reach international support for a couple of days now...

> With HDSP 9652 the assignable outputs in Control Room are limited: from ADAT 1-2 up to ADAT 15-16 (total 8 selections). No outputs can be selected from ADAT 17-18 up to ADAT 23-24 and S/PDIF.

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=20311

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for the link with the download of TM FX beta 3 (Windows). I have (manually) installed the application, but I don't see any difference; assignable CM outputs are still limited to 15-16 max.

Note: after rebooting the PC, via TM/Help menu I read beta 3, hence the latest version has been loaded.

Was the idea of the new beta via your link that all outputs become available, or do I see that wrong?

Thanks again!

Yes, we had a quick extension like that but now I recall it was for the Digiface. In that case you will have to wait for the next beta where this will be done.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

We got some feedback from users who haven't updated for a long time, and now that they use the 4.0 also want to flash their firmware to the latest state. Talking about the latest changes for the HDSPe series cards from 06/2013.

New versions of the flash update tools have been uploaded to the website that now work with the 4.x series driver.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Update 07/23/2014: New versions of the flash update tools have been uploaded to the website. These include no newer firmware versions (HDSPe 06/2013, HDSP 02/2009), but are now compatible to the 4.x series driver.

A bit confused here: the firmware is the same but is not the same? If there is any change, shouldn't there be a "point" revision number?

Regardless, the bottom line: if we intend to use TMFX 4.x, the recommendation is to flash even if we were using the latest prior firmware?

It's just the update tool that got updated. Firmware is unchanged.

The "Lock registry" function seems to be buggy. Sometimes the Phones setting doesn't get restored properly here on reboot (saved setting = "Mute").

HDSP9632, Win8.1