Topic: Hold your breath - TotalMix FX is coming (Fireface 800/400)!

Pro forum readers read the whole forum, no matter what RME interface they have. And some do so because they indeed have several interfaces. Therefore it is just a matter of minutes until someone will discover that in the new Windows HDSP(e) series driver 4.0 RME ported TotalMix FX back to all devices released since 2001.

Wait - when did the Fireface 800 come out? And the Fireface 400? Right, and these are supported as well!

Here is the download link (Windows first, sorry):

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dr … n_3097.zip

Note: Of course there is no EQ, no Echo, no Reverb, no Dynamics, as the hardware can not render these. Still there are many advantages of TotalMix FX in comparison to the previous TotalMix:

•    choice of mono and stereo channels
•    improved graphics including zoom states
•    OSC remote control
•    separate control room section, Cue, flexible talkback for all outputs, 4 Mute and Solo groups, Recall, External Input, local and global TrimGains/Post support with exclusion, Layout Presets to hide channels or MIDI remote functionality, 2 Row mode, multiple remote support, assignable F-key commands, Windows/Mac compatible mixer files, Matrix with Mono/Stereo mode, PFL mode, and and and…

The list is long - and getting longer as TM FX is still being worked on. If you need some help with the new TM FX then simply download the current Fireface UC manual, its chapters about TM FX match nearly 100%.

--------

Update 07/22/2014: If your computer loads TM FX before the old TotalMix, TotalMix will overwrite the latest TM FX mixer settings with an outdated state at boot time. Therefore we recommend to remove the autostart of TotalMix. You can use this file to do so, simply download, unzip, double-click it.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/no … n_tmfw.zip

--------

Update 07/25/2014: The manuals of Fireface 800 and Fireface 400 have been updated to include the latest Windows driver features as well as TotalMix FX. Website, Downloads, manuals...

--------

Update 08/11/2014: TotalMix FX caused the record path to be broken. Sorry for this unnoticed issue. The new driver link above, 3.097, includes TM FX 1.02B5 which fixes this problem.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Hold your breath - TotalMix FX is coming (Fireface 800/400)!

Great many thanks Matthias :-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by ramses 2014-07-17 16:42:10)

Interesting README .. Thats really nice, besides features this gives owner of older units a real value in terms of continuity, i.e.Windows 8.x support...

V 3.080 - Compatible to Windows 8.1
V 3.073 - Optimization for the Windows 8 FireWire driver
V 3.071 - TotalMix (FF 800/400): Preferences are now reliably saved under Windows 8
V 3.071 - Settings dialog: State of the Lock Registry option was not shown correctly. Windows position is now reliably saved under Windows 8

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by Tom McCreadie 2014-07-18 17:34:57)

My attempted TotalMix FX 1.02 upgrade of my FF400 (firmware 1.71; driver 3.092; on Win7x64) ) was unsuccessful: I've ended up with only the Fireface 3.095 in the system tray, but no trace of the TotalMix FX icon, or even TotalMix. This is most likely a case of 'pilot error', but I'd appreciate help to clear up this mess and get me back on track.

In turgid gory detail, my steps were:

1.Noted before the upgrade that:
a) the F400, powered always with its external supply  was working correctly with v3.092, .
b) windows\system32 had five fireface files: fireface.inf (modified 28-5-2014) plus four files all v3.092: fireface.exe, firefacemix.exe, fireface_asio.dll, fireface_asio_64.dll
c) Autoruns showed two checked fireface entries

2. "Safely removed the FF400 hardware" via green Windows tray button.
3. Powered off the FF400 at the ext. plug (was I wrong to have done steps 2 and 3?).
4. Removed the "RME fireface" software via Control panel > programs > uninstall a program
5. Installed v3..095 (on the powered-down FF400) by running the new rmeinstaller.exe.
6. When prompted, rebooted Windows - but did re-power the FF400 while Windows was down.
7. After installation had completed, I find only the Fireface v3.095 in the system tray. No Totalmix icon.
8. Noted also that there was still a v3.092 firefacemix.exe file in windows\system32.

9. Deleted this firefacemix.exe and did several de-installation /re-installation retries (with and without the FF400 being powered up - I'm unsure which way is correct). 
Alas, I always got only the Fireface orange icon, but no sign of the TotalMix icon.
And my window\system32 now had only four fireface files: fireface.inf (modified 17-7-2014), plus three files now all v3.095 (fireface.exe, fireface_asio.dll, fireface_asio_64.dll) But no firefacemix.exe.

Where have I goofed up.and what specifically must I now do to repair and sanitize my setup?. Thanks.

Tom McCreadie wrote:

My attempted TotalMix FX 1.02 upgrade of my FF400 (firmware 1.71; driver 3.092; on Win7x64) ) was unsuccessful: I've ended up with only the Fireface 3.095 in the system tray, but no trace of the TotalMix FX icon, or even TotalMix. This is most likely a case of 'pilot error', but I'd appreciate help to clear up this mess and get me back on track.

In turgid gory detail, my steps were:

1.Noted before the upgrade that:
a) the F400, powered always with its external supply  was working correctly with v3.092, .
b) windows\system32 had five fireface files: fireface.inf (modified 28-5-2014) plus four files all v3.092: fireface.exe, firefacemix.exe, fireface_asio.dll, fireface_asio_64.dll
c) Autoruns showed two checked fireface entries

2. "Safely removed the FF400 hardware" via green Windows tray button.
3. Powered off the FF400 at the ext. plug (was I wrong to have done steps 2 and 3?).
4. Removed the "RME fireface" software via Control panel > programs > uninstall a program
5. Installed v3..095 (on the powered-down FF400) by running the new rmeinstaller.exe.
6. When prompted, rebooted Windows - but did re-power the FF400 while Windows was down.
7. After installation had completed, I find only the Fireface v3.095 in the system tray. No Totalmix icon.
8. Noted also that there was still a v3.092 firefacemix.exe file in windows\system32.

9. Deleted this firefacemix.exe and did several de-installation /re-installation retries (with and without the FF400 being powered up - I'm unsure which way is correct). 
Alas, I always got only the Fireface orange icon, but no sign of the TotalMix icon.
And my window\system32 now had only four fireface files: fireface.inf (modified 17-7-2014), plus three files now all v3.095 (fireface.exe, fireface_asio.dll, fireface_asio_64.dll) But no firefacemix.exe.

Where have I goofed up.and what specifically must I now do to repair and sanitize my setup?. Thanks.

I'm having the same problem on my FF800.  I didn't power down the FF800 between uninstalling and installing the new drivers. but am now in the same situation as you with no way I know of starting the mixer.

I am sorry for the problem. Due to missing entries in the inf the file TotalmixFX is not copied to Windows\system32, and there is also no autostart added to the registry. That stayed unnoticed because on our computers the same file and reg entry is there from our other drivers.

To fix this: download the latest TotalMix FX 1.02b3 for Windows

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/to … b3_win.zip

and copy it to Windows\system32

Then download the reg file

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/run_tmfx.zip

unzip it and double-click on reg.run. It will add the autostart of TM FX to your computer.

I removed driver 3.095 as it else had no changes compared to 3.094.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you that works as expected now.

Thank you RME people!!!
and it's not even xmas:)

SamProX23 Suite-RME UFX+,FF800;X-Touch,21" Acer Touch,ASUS ROG G750JH-DB71-Win8,MSSurfbook-Win10

Update 07/22/2014: If your computer loads TM FX before the old TotalMix, TotalMix will overwrite the latest TM FX mixer settings with an outdated state at boot time. Therefore we recommend to remove the autostart of TotalMix. You can use this file to do so, simply download, unzip, double-click it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

RME is nothing but great!

Thanks a lot!

MC wrote:

When I ran this reg file it deleted my entire Run key from the registry, I'm sure this wasn't the intention.  You might want to check it.

Thanks a lot for notifying us about that error. Sorry for any inconvenience caused. I already uploaded the correct files that work as expected.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Wonderful. RME support is just second to none. Thank you for this update.

The manuals of Fireface 800 and Fireface 400 have been updated to include the latest Windows driver features as well as TotalMix FX. Website, Downloads, manuals...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

RME did it again!

Can wait to put my hands on mac version and play with OSC control.

Thanks RME!

I updated the first post as Windows FW driver 3.096 is now available (and correctly autostarts TM FX):

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dr … n_3096.zip

Please remove autostart of the old TM as described in the first post.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

17 (edited by Herbesh 2014-08-09 11:05:07)

I haven't been able to get the new TotalMix FX to work so far.  Whenever I try use it the recorded signals seem to distort horribly whereas monitoring the signals in TotalMix FX seem to be fine.

When I roll back to TotalMix everything works fine.

p.s. The DAW in question is Cubase 7.5 64 bit running on Windows 7 64 bit.

18 (edited by Cochonnet 2014-08-10 00:16:51)

Hi everybody,

The new TotalMix FX worked pretty good with my FF800, but I noticed a few days ago that the signal recorded by DIGICheck Global Record was distorted or jerky.
Isn't it weird that the dc Global Record level meters work even though the loopback button is not lit in the TotalMix FX ?

I tried to uninstall 3.095 driver, delete TotalMix FX in Windows/System 32, then install 3.096 driver but it didn't fix nothing.

Anyway, I was able to downgrade to 3.094 driver and get back the good old TotalMix and Global Record works fine again.
It's a pity for the new TotalMix FX which is so good looking.

I was able to reproduce this - and consequently removed 3.096 again. Sigh...update coming...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

TotalMix FX indeed caused the record path of FF 400 and FF 800 to be broken. Sorry for this unnoticed issue. The new driver link in the first post, v 3.097, includes TM FX 1.02B5 which fixes this problem.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

21 (edited by Cochonnet 2014-08-11 18:41:09)

Thank you Mathias.

I'll install this new driver soon smile

Edit :

Cool ! It works perfectly.

Thank you for your reactivity.

Yes after a quick test this new version seems to be working fine.

Many thanks!!

Thanks so much, the ToltalMix FX 3097 works really well.
I did run into a small problem. I own a Fireface 400 and Babyface. The drivers for both devices were able to co-exist on the same hard drive and I could plug in either device (1 at a time) with no problems. Since upgrading the driver to 3097 there is a problem.
- If I connect the Fireface 400 everything works fine. I can record and use TotalMix FX without a problem.
- If I plug in my BabyFace it says new device detected and forces a reboot. After the reboot the BabyFace works fine and I can    use TotalMix FX without a problem.
- Here is the problem..... The next time I use the Fireface 400 TotalMix FX no longer works. It will not boot. I have to re-install the driver. Once I do it works fine ....but the above scenario repeats.

I assume the problem is that both drivers are attempting to use the same TotalMix FX. I noticed there is a Tab to select devices in the upper right of the TotalMix FX screen so it seems the intent is to be able to use more than one device on the same computer (1 at a time). Problem is the TotalMix FX won't boot to enable selection after moving from the BabyFace to the FireFace 400.

If this is the nature of the beast so be it. A small price to pay to be able to use TotalMix FX with my FireFace 400. Very gratefull to have it. If this is something that can be fixed, so much better.

Thank You,
Dave

When you install the BF driver an older version of TM FX will be installed as well where the FF 400 is not yet supported.

What I don't understand is your claim

> If I plug in my BabyFace it says new device detected and forces a reboot

If the BF had been installed before then it works as hot-plug device, there is no reboot and no new device found. That sounds wrong and is not happening on our systems. Most probably that happened just one time because you used a different USB port than before...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks so much for the reply. First off I made sure that the FIreFace 400 driver was installed last as it would have the newer TotalMix FX. The Babyface  was then plugged into the same USB port as it always had been. Computer indicated a new device was found and forced a reboot. TotalMix FX would then proceed to work with the Babyface but no longer boot when the FireFace was connected. I completely removed both drivers and the exact same scenario repeated 2 more times.
Dave

Hey,

I have a FF 400 and was wondering if there is some way upgrade from TotalMix 1.0 to totalmix fx. I would be content with 1.0 but can't seem to find a manual with the details of how to use it.

any ideas?
thanks

The driver includes a readme. The manuals on the website have been updated, see first post. Don't know why you can't find it...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

28 (edited by s0415 2014-08-24 11:39:16)

How about the FireFace UC ?
Still we have some hope too?

Would you have support or plain for TotalMix FX for Fireface UC soon?

Totalmix FX has been working with the UC for a long time, but without effects, since the hardware does not support these.

Regards
Danel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

30 (edited by s0415 2014-08-24 16:33:17)

Yes you right RME ^^ Thx

I had tried to talk to about the TotalMix for Ipad.
really Sorry my bad.

I respect you for RME always evolving.

ps : The way. Possible use TotalMix for IPAD FIreface 400/800 in the future?

Thanks RME, it's working great!

32 (edited by kyoto 2014-08-28 20:55:41)

How about total mix for mac? for fireface 400/800

These are great news, thank you very much. Waiting for the OSX version.

Just one question: will it work with your Lemur template?: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=17445

Thank you very much and best regards.

Great news - just instaled 3.097 :-)
BTW. what about the pan law? did I miss something. it's no longer in the preferences dialog ...
Tom

An interface from 2001 has just been software updated AGAIN?

I no longer have my FF400 anymore as I upgraded to a UFX, but RME will have me as a customer for life if they keep this up.

Unreal, thank you!

Thanks for updating the Mac FF800 driver to Totalmix FX.  Looks great.  However, with the driver version 3.23, I can't see the headphone outputs (AN 9 and 10) in the mixer or matrix views.  I can see it in the "Assign" drop down menu, but am not allowed to select it.  The software playback channels also indicate the existence of the headphone output, It's just not possible to route audio to the physical output within Totalmix.  Is there something I'm missing?

clintonm wrote:

Thanks for updating the Mac FF800 driver to Totalmix FX.  Looks great.  However, with the driver version 3.23, I can't see the headphone outputs (AN 9 and 10) in the mixer or matrix views.  I can see it in the "Assign" drop down menu, but am not allowed to select it.  The software playback channels also indicate the existence of the headphone output, It's just not possible to route audio to the physical output within Totalmix.  Is there something I'm missing?

Same here... Back to 3.22

clintonm - emdebee: An9+10 is default for the main out, assigned as Main out in the CRM section, and can not be used for any other CRM target (like Phones) until you select a different channel as Main out first.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

clintonm - emdebee: An9+10 is default for the main out, assigned as Main out in the CRM section, and can not be used for any other CRM target (like Phones) until you select a different channel as Main out first.

Thanks for clarifying.

MC wrote:

Thanks for the info - all good here smile

Fireface 400 and totalmix

Everything working fine !, but tonight, sudently, total mix started going crazy !!! All level started to peak but no noise/sound was produce. This happen when I'm trying to listen to music from my computer (windows 7 64bit). Rme setting show that they are no sample rate selected and the ptich % is way far from 0. Now, the setting are Not Responding, it freeze. And total mix got the green level on each channel freeze but I can still move the sliders, sometimes each channel reduce size and come back to normal randomly.

Everything was perfect minutes hago...but in standalone, there is absloutely no problem, I can play my synth and it produce sounds

Am I the only one experimenting this with the fireface 400 ?

Did you update the FF 400 firmware to 171? Try a different FireWire cable.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

43 (edited by wilfredoF 2014-10-02 15:25:54)

Yes the firmware is up to date, now everythin work well.

What might happen is that I did installed the new drivers, but only download it and confused with the one I already had: the 3094.

Now I installed correctly the 3099 drivers before power in up the fireface 400.

It work 100%.

Juts for personnal knowledge: If the firmware is up to date but not the drivers, is it this kind off behavor that one must expect or is it there other type of issue that one should expect ?

have installed firmware 1.71 and fw3099 for a fireface400 (win7 64 bit using pci e TI firewire 800 with legacy driver) after a shutdown of my pc the fireface mixer settings will not autorun or start up from the folder. I have tried re-installing, using either bus or external power and the result is still the same....is there a fix for this??

Have you switched the FF off and on, too?

Regards
Daniel  Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

yes

Sounds more like the mixer is hidden in the notification area (click the triangle).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

wilfredoF wrote:

Fireface 400 and totalmix

Everything working fine !, but tonight, sudently, total mix started going crazy !!! All level started to peak but no noise/sound was produce. This happen when I'm trying to listen to music from my computer (windows 7 64bit). Rme setting show that they are no sample rate selected and the ptich % is way far from 0. Now, the setting are Not Responding, it freeze. And total mix got the green level on each channel freeze but I can still move the sliders, sometimes each channel reduce size and come back to normal randomly.

Everything was perfect minutes hago...but in standalone, there is absloutely no problem, I can play my synth and it produce sounds

Am I the only one experimenting this with the fireface 400 ?

I had the same problem yesterday, and I got the new drivers and firmware installed.

What I did: scan my hardrive for errors and waited for tommorow. SO today afternoon, befor turning ON the fireface400, I reopen the Driver 3099 installer, even trough it was already installed, and then I turned the fireface ON back again.

Now it work.

I'm sharing this because some poeple might have this issue and this is the solution I found out.

ps: My firewire PCI don't supply enough power, so I got the fireface400 swith Powered EXT. Maybe this have something to do with my problem?

MC wrote:

Sounds more like the mixer is hidden in the notification area (click the triangle).

I have checked this it doesnt auto start and isnt there in notification area. The program is there in system folders but will not run,  even if run as administrator is used

What did you find in the system folder exactly? Is the Settings dialog working? Can you play/record audio?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME