Topic: Latency delay in Logic 9 with Fireface 800

Hi,

I have a small latency delay in Logic (when I press my midi keyboard there's a delay on the sound). Does anybody know how to fix that?

I have a macpro running Leopard 10.5.8

Thx in advance,

STM

2 (edited by dialing_wand 2011-01-25 02:10:02)

Re: Latency delay in Logic 9 with Fireface 800

You will need to lower the Core Audio buffer.

Preferences -> Audio -> Devices -> Core Audio -> I/O Buffer Size

Smaller buffers will provide decreased latency at the cost of increased demand on system resources.

Now, I don't know how to put this more delicately, but these are basic preferences for the proper setup of and fundamental to Logic Pro. I would strongly suggest you should read the manual or find a tutorial (like MacProVideo.com) to get into the basics.

If you already knew this, and I'm coming off as a horses ass, then there's another issue somewhere - which we can get to the bottom of with a little work.. :-)

Thx for your response.. I did know that already yes ;-) No hard feelings haha.

I re-installed everything from scratch on my MacPro, before that I had no problems with 512 on the I/O buffer size.

So it must be something else....

4 (edited by dialing_wand 2011-01-26 19:39:09)

Thanks for being cool about my comment!

I think 512 is a lot... I run my Mac Pro at 64 or 32 while performing and 128 while mixing.

I dont know what sample rate you're at but at 44.1kHz thats about 12ms of latency. Have you always used such a large I/O Buffer and only recently noticed an increased in the latency?

Also, if the change was "all of a sudden" did you add or modify your system configuration in any other way? Even a way you might have thought wouldn't affect Logic/Core Audio?

When I put it lower then 512, everything glitches & stutters etc..

The problem is recent yes, after I re-installed Leopard & Logic etc..

I'm on 44.1 kHz, and the only thing I did (I think) was updating my Fireface 800 drivers..

Anybody?

You might want to take this to a dedicated Logic forum. (LogicProHelp, Apple's own Logic discussion sub-forum).

Have you tried to disable spotlight indexing, time machine, and are you running all the samples/libraries from something other than your system disk?

What's the advantage of disabling spotlight indexing / time machine? Yes I'm running samples from a 2nd HD

cigame wrote:

Don't use AdLimiter or LinearPhaseEQ

I don't use those. But why shouldn't I use them?

10 (edited by fishbone 2011-02-04 14:00:31)

Hi,

IMHO, the max buffer to get acceptable latencies with software instruments in Logic is 128. If you cannot work with settings bellow 512 without problems, you are probably reaching the capacity limits of your system(processor, memory, etc).

I've noticed that you're still use leopard(which also points out to a outdated hardware, am I right???) and you have to remember that Logic 9 was conceived with snow leopard in focus(also with a new generation of multi-core hardware in mind), which have a far superior and optimized core audio than leopard.

If that's the case, you should think about update your hardware/OS, since there's nothing on RME side of things that could solve it.

hope this help.

see ya

Hey fishbone,

I had no problem running 128 samples of latency on a first generation Mac Pro with only 6GB of RAM. I run most sample libraries at 44.1kHz since that's what they're recorded at.

For the original poster, what software instruments are you trying to use and how much RAM do you have?

12 (edited by fishbone 2011-02-04 17:05:51)

Hey Dialing_wand,

My point was, there's a lot of factors that dictate a particular system performance. But if we take in consideration the variables given by STM it probably have nothing to do with FF800 or it's driver.

I have an iMac core 2 duo with just 4GB of RAM and have no problem working with software instruments using low latency settings in Logic, even working in 24/48 resolution most of the time. But if I try to load higher res audio in a Logic Project with a bunch of plug-ins inserted, I'm sure to run into troubles if I try to use a heavy software instrument with low latency settings.

So, besides the hardware capacity, I would recommend STM to:

1) check the density of it's Logic project(audio res, track count, plug-ins, etc.) and the RAM requirements for the specific software instrument used.

2) Try to lower the buffer settings to 128 and create a fresh Logic project, loaded only with the audio recorded. Avoid higher res audio for now and use no plug-ins to see if it runs fine.

3) Then load one of Logic's software instrument and see if you can get acceptable latency. It's also good to check Logic's system monitor to see how your system is handling it all.

4) From there you can add your plug-ins and software instruments again(one by one), to see if you reach a point where your system fails(keep an eye in sys monitor to any spikes), and then you probably get a better idea of what's the culprit.

5) Use Logic's "low latency mode" to see if it helps.

Good luck