Topic: ***URGENT!*** 5.1 mix setup via Toslink

Hi there!

I'm kinda freaking out here - I use a FireFace 800, and I usually mix in stereo via the main (analog) outs. For the current project I'm on, the client requires a 5.1 mix of my music (I'm the composer). So, no problem - I went out and bought a consumer-grade Samsung home Theatre setup (the HT-C550 to be precise). My only criteria was that it have digital (Toslink) input - it does.

I have everything wired up correctly with the ADaT 1 out hooked to the Digital in on the Samsung receiver. I have my outputs routed correctly in Sony Vegas

Front>> ADAT1+2
Rear>> ADAT3+4
Center+LFE>>Adat56

The FireFace mixer is (I think) setup correctly
The amp is on Digital In.

I use Windoze Vista.

Anyone have any heko or suggestions to supply ASAP?
I'm freeeeeeeaking out because I have to mix this like, NOW

Any help greatly appreciated!

T

Re: ***URGENT!*** 5.1 mix setup via Toslink

Hi,

I assume that the problem you are experiencing is that the receiver does not play back any audio, right? So, do you know what kind of signal the receiver does expect on the optical input? It's presumably not ADAT but S/PDIF (2 channel) or AC3 Bitstream. S/PDIF ist available using ADAT 2 of the FF800 set to S/PDIF. AC3 is not, or at least not directly from your DAW.

The quickest way might be to connect the analog outs, though.

Kind Regards,
Claudio

Sorry, this won't work. The HT-C550 can not handle ADAT format... And neither the FF800 nor any software that I know of can encode AC3 or so in real time.

You'll need to use analog connections - but it seems the HT-C550 does not have analog multichannel inputs. Other AV receivers do, though.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

HI guys - wow! Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm not the only one on the planet that's awake... smile

Yes, the problem is *no sound* ... I'm not sure what kind of signal the Samsung "expects." The input is called "digital TV" - it's connected via a Toslink cable. Maybe I foolishly thought the Toslink was a standard?

Are you saying that the RME transmits a special "8 channel interleaved" kind of ADAT format that the Samsung can't decode?

According to what I've read, though, windows can do AC3 on the fly.

Can I get a 5.1 signal via the Adat 2, though? (on the SPDIF setting?)

I think I've just revealed my N00b-dom...
Is there any way I can get this system to work?

I will try switching to SPDIF - but the SPDIF connector on the Samsung amplifier is a coax, I think; would that work?

argh,

T

Ok, so I checked the signal type on my Samsung receiver's IN - it's called  DIGITAL AUDIO IN (OPTICAL) (that's really all the info they give...)

Can the RME's digital out interface with this?
Do I really have to go all analog outs to a receiver with all analog ins?
My buddy somehow manages to use a Logitech 5.1 rig to mix his stuff...
Are those type of receivers common? (I've never seen one with separate analog ins)
What if I could somehow get a "DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL)" from a PCI or usb soundcard? (bypassing the RME altogether for 5.1, I suppose)

argh!
Any help appreciated...

T

ADAT format is not interleaved. It is an uncompressed linear PCM format.
Not sure what "windows can do AC3 on the fly" refers to - there is no realtime encoder that I know of.
And SPDIF coax won't help, either...

MisterRider wrote:

Do I really have to go all analog outs to a receiver with all analog ins?

I'm afraid that's the only way here.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

For the current project I'm on, the client requires a 5.1 mix of my music (I'm the composer). So, no problem - I went out and bought a consumer-grade Samsung home Theatre setup (the HT-C550 to be precise).

I think you are mixing something up. If you want to create a surround mix and not only want to play an already finished and encoded AC3 mix from an DVD or video file, you can use a 5.1 surround monitor setup with 6 analog outputs, connected to your six speakers (five channels for the front left/right/center and rear left/right signals, plus one low frequency effects subwoofer channel for low frequencies).

Ok, so I checked the signal type on my Samsung receiver's IN - it's called  DIGITAL AUDIO IN (OPTICAL)

An external home theater reciever can usually decode an already encoded signal - a special compressed digital surround format, which holds all 6 source signals. But you don´t have such a digital signal yet, as you are still want to compose and mix it. If you have an already finished surround mix, you can encode it to the most common AC3 format or other digital surround formats (e.g. DTS).

After the encoding process these compressed formats can be transported via an SPDIF connection to the external decoder/receiver. The decoder demuxes the signal to 6 solid audio streams and sends them to 6 connected speakers. This signal is not the usual digital raw audio format so the cards digital SPDIF output needs to transfer the signal unchanged (1:1). This way a 2-channel SPDIF connection can transfer a compressed 6-channel signal. The RME cards can do this under Windows. You don´t need another card. But as you don´t have a realtime AC3 output the SPDIF output is useless.

Simply connect your speakers to 6 outputs of your audio interface and create the monitor setup in your mixing DAW, where all speakers have the correct position. After mixing and mastering you encode your mix to a surround audio format, like AC3. AFTER the encoding it can be played out to your encoder/receiver via SPDIF. An AC3 encoder for the final mix is available from various companies.

best regards
Knut

Admin Knut wrote:

Simply connect your speakers to 6 outputs of your audio interface and create the monitor setup in your mixing DAW

That is the problem here, considering the HT-C550 does not seem to have a multichannnel analog input. Another AV receiver and a new set of speakers would be required, plus suitable adapter cables (TRS - RCA).

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

ugh. not another trip to the stereo store...

Well, basically what I need to do is *mix* via my DAW (Sony Vegas) in 5.1 - so I need to be able to assign outputs to the different speakers. I was hoping to accomplish this via the ADAT connector (so that the 5.1 system wouldn't use up all my outputs). I guess that won't work.

But what if I bypassed to RME altogether - bought a 5.1 prosumer/gamer card? (ex: the X-fi series) I know that these cards can play back 5.1 - and have Toslink outputs (according to my research, they output a 5.1 signal via Dolby Live or something like that).

I also know that if I set my "Speakers" to 5.1 in Windows, the windows playback engine automatically maps out the 5.1 channels properly (presumably to the new X-fi card) - do you think this would be a successful "work-around" ? Basically, instead of replacing the amp and speakers, I would replace the RME (just for the 5.1 mixes; I still love my RME!  smile)

What do you think about that idea?

T

ps - thanks for all the info RE 5.1 encoding etc

If you DAW will see the separate 5.1 channels of the X-Fi or whatever, fine... Should work, then.
Apparently, I was wrong, and there are in fact realtime software encoders, e.g. http://sourceforge.net/projects/ac3encode/
Not sure how this would cooperate with the DAW, though.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi guys,

I just wanted to follow up on this post so that any other poor souls with the same problem might get the same excellent "hack" advice smile

I did indeed get my 5.1 system up and running. It consists of a simple Toslink out (or Optical Out, sometimes referred to as SPDIF, but in reality it has 5.1 pass-thru, with a real SPDIF does not) from my soundcard (a Soundblaster X-fi USB Pro) into a Samsung Home Theater system (the HT-C550 if you're interested). The unit is basically a Blu-Ray player with an integrated amp and 6 speakers (including the sub).

Starting with Windows Vista and up, if you go into your Sound Settings and Configure your device, you will be able to select between Stereo output and 5.1. Put windows in 5.1 mode for your card, and voilà - your 5.1 card should be mapping via your toslink to your receiver. I had to muck around a bit and make sure the sample rates, output devices and other settings were in place, but after after well placed WTFs, it was up and running (for example, the test tone won't play properly in 5.1 mode, but when I play a DVD or use my DAW (Sony Vegas) it works).

So, for my needs, this works great - I just need a simple 5.1 system to do my spatializing and panning - and it's great to have a "consumer" system to hear what it will really sound like in someone's home - bass management and all. It was much simpler than setting up 6 analog outs from the RME, running all that cable, configuring by ear, buy *6* more speakers, etc. I got set up with one receiver package and the card - all in all costing me around 400$!

So that's my 5.1 ghetto setup - good luck to any other hackers out there...

If no recording is needed in 5.1, only mixing, then it is usually possible to use hdmi output of graphics card to connect to receiver, and using asio4all in your DAW, and it should see all 5.1 or 7.1 outputs of your integrated sound card. Sound quality is good, although this is no pro audio, but signal is uncompressed multichannel LPCM, and your receiver must support this format (many new ones do).

ASIO4all indeed maps the 5.1 (even 7.1) channels of a WDM Loudspeaker device to separated ASIO channels. Interesting information, thanks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME