1 (edited by moogy blues 2011-02-05 18:38:02)

Topic: ADI 8 - QSM / HDSPe MADI / Cranesong HEDD set up

I was hoping to integrate a Cranesong HEDD unit into my system using the digital AES I/O connections to the ADI 8 QSM. The ADI 8 is connected (by BNC) to an HDSPe PCI MADI card and my DAW is Ableton 8.
Routing the audio out of Ableton into the HEDD unit is detected but the output from the HEDD back into another audio track set to external in with the receiving channel out does not reflect the change to the audio applied by the HEDD unit. I've checked the word clock connections with the HEDD as master&slave but was not sure if this set up is possible due to conflict with the existing MADI connection.

(analog connections are OK)

Any guidance appreciated

Re: ADI 8 - QSM / HDSPe MADI / Cranesong HEDD set up

The company Direct Out Technologies offers slot cards for ADI 8 QS with enhanced routing options, maybe this is what you are looking for.

Thanks. I hope I can get a reasonable exchange on the RME i64 madi card... a bit expensive to have as a spare!

Pity the RME card cannot be developed further to make use of this all new 'matrix mode' in the ADI8-QS (firmware 3)
Can this be confirmed?

Hi,

don´t know, but I can cofirm that your routing will work with the Madi Card from
Direct Out.
You have to send your unit in, to get FW 3!

Regards

FF UCX - ADI 8 QS(DOTec Madi/Usb i64) - Madi HDSPe(Tco 4)

Thanks folks,

I've sent an email to the RME retail shop asking how to go about arranging this.

Not being able to integrate the HEDD unit has been a frustration to date, just hope its not too costly to carry out the exchange as I'm a private enthusiast without big studio budget!

Hi,

just in case, you get somethig wrong here. The FW Upgrade is done by Direct Out, so you have to contact them and ship your unit to Germany.

Regards

On a side note: Matrix Mode is great, but a pain to set up. You can download the manual from their site, to get an impression.

Thanks again for your help.

I may consider travelling in person to Germany later this year as part of a short holiday to get it done as
post carriage security in the UK is poor in terms of equipment damaged in transit

I drove to Stuttgart from the UK last May to pick up some late 60s Dynacord S100 speakers..was quite a trek
but well worth it!

Can RME support advise on the possibility of returning the RME MADI i64 card for a partial refund as DOT are a separate company and will not part exchange for their card?

The AES integration into the MADI line is an important feature and it would be useful to have a detailed answer from RME about this upgrade and the version 3 firmware. The fact that the unit needs to be sent back to the RME/DOT manufacturing base suggests its more than just software that needs updating.

moogy blues wrote:

Can RME support advise on the possibility of returning the RME MADI i64 card for a partial refund as DOT are a separate company and will not part exchange for their card?

Sorry, this is not possible... If at all, you could ask your retailer to buy the card back, but it may take him a while to sell it so he may not be willing. Best bet might be to put the i64 up on ebay.
That said, the DOT card may or may not solve your problem. I'm afraid I don't quite get what you are trying to do exactly... Could you explain again?

The AES integration into the MADI line is an important feature and it would be useful to have a detailed answer from RME about this upgrade and the version 3 firmware. The fact that the unit needs to be sent back to the RME/DOT manufacturing base suggests its more than just software that needs updating.

What AES integration exactly are you looking for here?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

10 (edited by MH 3 2011-02-07 13:53:21)

Hi,

a Setup I use sometimes is a Reverb 4000 via AES in Sequoia, that should be similar to the Hedd Setup.
You can rout every Input to every Output, basic setups like this should work.More complex Setups are a pain to set up, but anything
with 8 I/O (choosen from the 32 x 32 Matrix) is possible! In pairs of course.

Regards

11 (edited by moogy blues 2011-02-07 22:20:01)

I'm having trouble linking a HEDD unit into my set up using AES. I can get audio into the HEDD from my DAW (ableton) output but the return audio following HEDD processing does not appear in the Totalmix receiving channel. Looking at the manual it should be fairly straightforward linking an external effects unit.

The ADI8 QSM unit is set to optn as setting to AES will not allow audio out of Ableton. I've also disabled channels in ableton preferences so they are not conflicting with channels being used by the  HEDD unit.

Very keen to sort this out as I'm unable to use the very expensive HEDD unit properly. Any suggestions welcome

Hi,

the QS firmware 3 with the DirectOut i64-MADI module will allow you to access all analog, ADAT and AES I/O from MADI. Routing can even be within the I/Os, e. g. analog to/from ADAT while AES to/from MADI.

Have you contacted Synthax UK? They may be able to help you re. the firmware update. Firmware 3 is free of charge and all RME service points are entitled to use it.

Best regards,
Stephan Flock
DirectOut GmbH
www.directout.eu