Topic: Thkning about moving to RME and needs some help

I currently run Win 7 64 bit with Ableton 8 on an Asus G51 laptop.  I currently am using the the Presonus Fire Studio and have had nothing but driver issues with it.  Is the Fire Face 8 a good choice?

Is there any known conflicts or things I should worry about?  (e.g. Presonus does not work well with the native Ricoh FW port, so I had to get a Star Tech card bus card)

Re: Thkning about moving to RME and needs some help

Any thoughts here?

on this forum you should find a lot of info... perform some searches. There are many satisfied customers and also some with tons of problems. The best way to determine if it works, is to test, test, test...

4 (edited by Dr Tone 2011-02-09 19:58:06)

DarkCatt wrote:

I currently run Win 7 64 bit with Ableton 8 on an Asus G51 laptop.  I currently am using the the Presonus Fire Studio and have had nothing but driver issues with it.  Is the Fire Face 8 a good choice?

Is there any known conflicts or things I should worry about?  (e.g. Presonus does not work well with the native Ricoh FW port, so I had to get a Star Tech card bus card)

I think you'll find that an RME firewire device won't work much better with the Ricoh FW chipset.  You might be better off looking at the RME Fireface UC or UFX, both are USB based.

PS) The Ricoh probably still controls the cardbus slot, so you are no further ahead with it.

In most cases the root for bad performance is computer, not the FireFace. So test with computers you intend to work with, no matter FF800/400 UC or UFX. With FF800 consider the following; some FF800 devices crackle on phones outputs with the latest firmware that is needed with win7 driver.

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6954