Topic: Uneven Input Values

Hy guys,
I wanted to see if all the balanced line inputs on my rme fireface 800 show the same level value if I feed them with a sine wave being routed from logic pro into balanced line output 1 which I then connected via a balanced jack cable to my line inputs on the rme. Unfortunately the values aren't same on all inputs hmm
I am not happy about it as you can imagine since I like my stuff operating at its best and 100%...
I have set the sine wave in logic to -12dB and when I connect output 1 to inputs 2-8 I get about -12.4dB, and when I connect the output 1 to input 1 I get -15dB!!
My first question: Is this -12.4 on other line inputs a usual thing or should it be exactly -12dB?
My second question: what is wrong with the line input 1? 3 dB difference is a lot....

Re: Uneven Input Values

The I/Os have an intentional level drop so that loopbacks can not cause overload/distortion at highest digital level. On channel 1 you most probably used pan in the mixer and got 3 dB less that way.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

no pan on the input, I specifically checked that while troubleshooting myself...
only thing that i have panned left is the software output 1 since I'm sending the signal on channel 1 only...

:roll

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The I/Os have an intentional level drop so that loopbacks can not cause overload/distortion at highest digital level.

Is that true for all input channels - analog, spdif and adat?

No, analog only.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by obmun 2011-02-10 19:50:59)

matan89 wrote:

Hy guys,
I wanted to see if all the balanced line inputs on my rme fireface 800 show the same level value if I feed them with a sine wave being routed from logic pro into balanced line output 1 which I then connected via a balanced jack cable to my line inputs on the rme. Unfortunately the values aren't same on all inputs hmm
I am not happy about it as you can imagine since I like my stuff operating at its best and 100%...
I have set the sine wave in logic to -12dB and when I connect output 1 to inputs 2-8 I get about -12.4dB, and when I connect the output 1 to input 1 I get -15dB!!
My first question: Is this -12.4 on other line inputs a usual thing or should it be exactly -12dB?
My second question: what is wrong with the line input 1? 3 dB difference is a lot....

Hello matan89. Is your FF800 old?

I'm myself owner of 2 different RME amazing cards: one FF400 and a MFII.

My MF2 breakout box is old. I think I bought the unit more or less 4 years ago (MF2 had just replaced MF1), and I've been stressing my unit a lot all those years. I vagely remember that I could find differences of +- 0.1 dB on the analog channel inputs last time I checked [I used one fixed channel on my MF and brand new balanced cables]. I suppose this kind of miscalibrations are normal on products which have wistand a lot of work and bad things (connecting what should not be connected) over the years. I did the tests 1 year ago, when my FF400 failed.

I had to return my FF400 to the local Spanish retailer because some of the output stages were partially broken. The unit was instantaneously replaced by a new one without any question [pretty good service].

What I wanted to say ... RME inputs are really hard, but we should we always careful with what we connect to them. And ... maybe your 1st channel is damaged due to wear out of some component. Check if the input level is frequency dependent. If amplitude changes with frequency... some passive component could be partially damaged.

hy obum,
my fireface 800 is old, i bought it second hand and it might be that the time and maybe improper and careless use damaged some inputs.... sad