Topic: Sesson sample rate and external clock over Firewire

Hello to All,

I recently bought Pro Tools 9 and I am in the process of configuring the software to work with my two FF800s.
I have downloaded the latest RME driver ( 2.89 ) and updated the firmware to 2.77
I use a Mac Pro quad core with Snow Leopard

My question relates to the way in which Pro Tools and the FF 800 sync over Firewire.
1) Does the DAW ( Pro Tools ) set the sample rate and the FF 800 do the actual clocking?

If I have that correct, why cant I externally clock Pro Tools so that I can vari-speed the session.
I would like to be able to tune Pro Tools to various ethnic instruments which can not be tuned to a reference of A440

I notice that the old DDS ( Direct Digital Synthesis ) option does not exist on the latest driver.
It was my intention to use DDS to create varispeed of the whole DAW.

I look forward to any advice and thank you in advance..
Kind Regards
Jim

Re: Sesson sample rate and external clock over Firewire

If you have problems to understand the new design of the Settings dialog please download the latest manual of the Fireface UFX, it describes this section in detail.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you Matthias for answering me.
I own two Fireface 800s not the Fireface UFX.
Nevertheless I did as you suggested and downloaded the UFX manual in the hope it would help me with my issues regarding external clocking.
There were references in the UFX manual for ways to change the sample rate but the Settings dialog in my Fireface 800 does not provide any reference to the DDS functions.
It would help me greatly if you could answer these quetions please?
1) Does the DAW set the sample rate and the FF800 do the actual clocking?
2) Older drivers of the FF800 had options for DDS. Are these options still available in version 2.89 please?

Thanks
Jim

DDS = Pitch. All the settings are right there.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,

Please forgive my insistence but I am not able to find any reference to DDS or pitch in the settings dialogue of my FF800.
I do not own a Fireface UFX.
In the past (in earlier driver versions of the FF800) there was a tab that allowed access to DDS.
I am now using driver version 2.89 and there is no tab for DDS anymore.
There is a section in the bottom right hand corner of the settings dialogue which is called sample rate but this only gives discrete sample rates and does not allow the old varispeed option.
1) Does the DAW set the sample rate and the FF800 do the actual clocking?
2) I still cant make Pro Tools 9 sync externally to the FF 800.
Thank you for your help,
Kind Regards
Jim

I am sorry, got a bit confused myself by the many products we have. As you can read in the readme included in the 2.89 driver the DDS option is long gone as Mac's Core Audio does not support it. Instead there is a big list of possible sample rates that you can choose from.

You always set the sample rate in the DAW (software), and if the card is set to clock mode Master (Internal) it will use that one. If the card is externally synced it will follow the external clock, which should be near the sample rate that you want to use and set in the DAW.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you indeed Matthias for your excellent answer and for making RME gear.
We who make music are blessed that you have designed such great products in this rapidly changing world.
RME lasts.
Kind Regards
Jim