1 (edited by Plutotype 2011-02-12 17:08:13)

Topic: Babyface - surround handling

Hi,
Im a proud owner of Babyface. But need a help a little:-)

1. I think something went maybe wrong at the installation, because my Fireface USB settings window looks like this:

fireface usb settings window - current
and not like this:
should be probably

Is my settings window correct? Do I have driver installed correctly? I have the latest beta 0.966, win7 64-bit, installed through the device manager "update drivers" feature. Main output goes via XLR to Focal monitors, phones are AKGs. Maybe the second photo is from Mac..

2.Beside classic stereo outputs ( main+phones ) I would like to use Babyface outputs for stereo surround HD audio/video playback. I use well-known MPC-HC and Im outputting 48-96000 Hz, 1-8 channel(s), 16/24 bits PCM, decoded always internally(using directshow software decoders). Again, the output is 24bit/48-96kHz, there is no downsampling. When I watch a movie, HDMI audio out is used to feed my receiver with PCM 24bit 8channels, but when Im at computer, I would like to use babyface stereo outputs (main+phones) to reproduce either downmixed 7.1 surround to stereo, or only stereo front channels. Issues:
- the hd audio playback is fine only when I set 96000 or 192000hz with 4096/8192 samples. Varies from movie to movie. At lower samples/frequencies I get crackles - errors are reported in settings, next to buffer size. What causes this?

- Cubase or Sound forge, to provide playback with minimum latency, needs much lower samples (@44.1/48kHz), like 128 or lower ( if possible) - do I have to change it manually everytime in the usb settings window?

Thanks for advice.
Thanks
Pluto

Re: Babyface - surround handling

Why do you want a Mac dialog on a Windows computer?

You have a hardware performance problem on USB. Check the USB ports as described in the manual (chapter 26.3 USB Audio), and also use this tool to check your computer:

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

And PLEASE install the latest driver and firmware from our website.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Plutotype 2011-03-22 23:08:56)

MC wrote:

Why do you want a Mac dialog on a Windows computer?

You have a hardware performance problem on USB. Check the USB ports as described in the manual (chapter 26.3 USB Audio), and also use this tool to check your computer:

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

And PLEASE install the latest driver and firmware from our website.

Hi MC,
So it was a Mac dialog image..thought something went wrong during installation.

Although i think, that my drivers installed were correctly previously, I have re-installed them - used different USB port,which belongs to another usb controller - moved USB slot from Southbridge, which is integrated, to JMicron JMB362 chip - has eSATA/USB Combo on the Gigabyte X58 UD5. Latest driver, latest Total mix - as mentioned in my first post.

The latency checker gave me around 80 us at idle.When wav file was played in Sound Forge, latency was 87 us. With Blu ray playback in MPC-HC with TrueHD 8channel audio, latency went up to 3585 us (in red). The MPC-HC playback with software decoded HD AUDIO is a quite tricky thing. Will have to find out, what is causing this and if it can be corrected at all.

Thanks anyway.

Pluto

4 (edited by Plutotype 2011-03-21 03:09:49)

EDIT: FIXED WITH 0.976 usb win driver
The DPC latency is still present, but the new WDM driver updates from RME handles the audio without glitches now.