Topic: Extending Firewire and Word Clock from a FF800 to a FF400

We currently have a Fireface 800 connected to our DAW (i7 920 system) via one of the motherboard's Firewire 400 connectors. It uses a TI chipset.

We would also like our other computer to have a quality audio interface to enable its use as a songwriting DAW, but also provide remote i/o for the main DAW. The remote locations are about 15 metres (50ft) max from the main DAW.

The Fireface 400 seems the logical candidate. It provides the right number of inputs and has a headphone out for studio foldback, and it uses the same driver as the FF800.

The logical way to use the full facilities of the FF400 with the FF800 when required, is to get Firewire extenders cables and run word clock between them.

Has anyone done this?

If so, some questions:

1. Has anyone used the Lindy Firewire Active Extension Cable, 4.5m (https://www.lindy.com.au/online/arrshop … amp;cat=ea)?
___ We would need to use three of these in series. We know we would have to power the FF400 at the remote location.

2. Can the Word Clock be run over 15m?
___ Do we leave the termination switched off?

3. Is it better to:

__a. use two Firewire ports on the motherboard, as in: FF800 -- Computer ------------------- FF400, or

__b. daisy chain as in: Computer -- FF800 ----------------------------- FF400?

__ The manual does mention about using cables of the same length from multiple FFx00s to a computer.

4. Are there any known earthing issues in this topology, especially with having to power the FF400 at the remote end?
__ I believe the Word Clock is isolated, but I don't know if the Firewire signals are.

TIA.

On music hiatus, so RMEs have gone to homes where others can enjoy them.

Re: Extending Firewire and Word Clock from a FF800 to a FF400

There is also a Gefen Firewire 400 Repeater, that allow Firewire to be extender in 10m (33ft) hops.
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=1329

On music hiatus, so RMEs have gone to homes where others can enjoy them.